Company car suggestions - up to £25k

Dr Zoidberg

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought all the 1 and 3 series diesels were a 2 litre, irrespective of whether they were badged x16 or x23.

They are the x16 is something like 110 bhp, x18 around 136-140 bhp and the x20 (certainly in the Ed version) is 184 bhp. Super low on emissions though.

When I came to changing my company car from the Octavia we had a good choice upto 145g/km and £380 per month lease. Once I had discounted the smaller cars like Golf, A3 I was left with Passat, Octavia, Superb or BMW 3 series. For me, the 3 Series wasn't big enough (poor boot space and little rear legroom). I didn't like the Passat and therefore it was bewteen a high spec Octavia or Superb.

In the end I went for the Superb 2.0 CR 140 Combi - although the emissions were on my limit @ 145g/km they were alot lower than the Audi A4 I was driving temporarily (as the Octy went back with an ABS pump fault). Overall, the Superb costs me approx £20 per month extra in tax (over the Octy) but this is a small price to pay for such large and well appointed car.

I appreciate the choice is yours and tax may be a different factor for you - so are your choices down to Qashqai, Yeti and i40?

I appreciate the choice is yours and tax may be a different factor for you - so are your choices down to Qashqai, Yeti and i40?

The i40 and Qashqai are serious contenders.

I'll try a Yeti but you can't get a sunroof on the Greenline 1.6 so that's a big downside and I need to try a Superb to see how badly it hangs off the end of the drive.

A Renault Laguna Coupe is an outside but random choice.

I'm not working to any deadline so I'll be interested in a Mazda CX5 when it's out.

There's also a Scirocco or an A3 as options, and possibly a Honda Civic though I'm not convinced by the pictures I've seen (loved the old one).

The i40 and Qashqai are serious contenders.

I'll try a Yeti but you can't get a sunroof on the Greenline 1.6 so that's a big downside and I need to try a Superb to see how badly it hangs off the end of the drive.

A Renault Laguna Coupe is an outside but random choice.

I'm not working to any deadline so I'll be interested in a Mazda CX5 when it's out.

There's also a Scirocco or an A3 as options, and possibly a Honda Civic though I'm not convinced by the pictures I've seen (loved the old one).

Just remember that Renault has culled half its UK range. So no more Laguna, Laguna Tourer, Laguna Coupe, Espace, Grand Espace, Wind, Modus, Grand Modus or Kangoo for us. So to get a Laguna Coupe will be a bit difficult (if you wait too long) and/or VERY cheap!

As to the Civic it gets slated in near every test so far with on average score of 3 stars out of five. The previous one still looks amazing and to my eyes now look even better since this new one is very podgy looking. VERY clever interior seating though. Those magic rear seats are just that: magic. But the dash? The exterior? The rear view blindspots? The unforgiving handling? All still there and in some cases even worse than the last one would you believe!

I test drove the Civic before getting the VRS. The interior on the higher spec ones is nice but the dash is a big expanse of very shiny plastic. Looked like a right bugger to keep clean and keep unwanted reflection away from.I also thought the dash was very high, cutting out visibility towards the near front of the car and rear visibility is quite awful. Pretty ordinary to drive to. I also thought the car would age quickly as cutting edge designs tend to do. I don't think that been borne out though.

I preferred the Accord.

Just remember that Renault has culled half its UK range. So no more Laguna, Laguna Tourer, Laguna Coupe, Espace, Grand Espace, Wind, Modus, Grand Modus or Kangoo for us. So to get a Laguna Coupe will be a bit difficult (if you wait too long) and/or VERY cheap!

As to the Civic it gets slated in near every test so far with on average score of 3 stars out of five. The previous one still looks amazing and to my eyes now look even better since this new one is very podgy looking. VERY clever interior seating though. Those magic rear seats are just that: magic. But the dash? The exterior? The rear view blindspots? The unforgiving handling? All still there and in some cases even worse than the last one would you believe!

I didn't know the Laguna was getting the boot. Interesting, and would seem to rule that out as it will be a few months away yet. That said if I *did* really like one I could always buy one personally and keep the car allowance. The catastrophic depreciation would probably scare me off.

As for the Civic, yes I've seen some unfavourable reviews which is a shame. It was a very close second choice when I bought my Mk2 Octavia and only a really good deal on the Skoda swung it, so I was hoping the new one would be good but they seem to have missed the mark here.

I didn't know the Laguna was getting the boot. Interesting, and would seem to rule that out as it will be a few months away yet. That said if I *did* really like one I could always buy one personally and keep the car allowance. The catastrophic depreciation would probably scare me off.

As for the Civic, yes I've seen some unfavourable reviews which is a shame. It was a very close second choice when I bought my Mk2 Octavia and only a really good deal on the Skoda swung it, so I was hoping the new one would be good but they seem to have missed the mark here.

I don't get why Renault is doing it since the engineering for RHD has already been done....... (they are only culling these models in RHD markets) Fine if you don't replace the Laguna et al when the next one comes out, but to do it like this out of the blue before the model cycle is over? In some cases like with the Wind they've basically JUST launched it!!! Can't do resale values or the Renault brand as a whole any good. They are also closing a third of their 200 dealers......... See an article about it here:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle.aspx?AR=260530

Company car eh??? one very simple answer hear.....

do you need to worry about residuals... NO

do you need to worry about servicing costs.... NO

Alfa Guiletta get the Cloverleaf model for under 25k, get a stunning vehicle thats so far proven more reliable than a mk6 Golf

GET THE ALFA

I don't get why Renault is doing it since the engineering for RHD has already been done....... (they are only culling these models in RHD markets) Fine if you don't replace the Laguna et al when the next one comes out, but to do it like this out of the blue before the model cycle is over? In some cases like with the Wind they've basically JUST launched it!!! Can't do resale values or the Renault brand as a whole any good. They are also closing a third of their 200 dealers......... See an article about it here:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle.aspx?AR=260530

I hadn't heard of this. I watched the new car registration figures plummet in the aftermath of the financial crisis and whilst most marques suffered, the French ones seemed to really take a hammering down 30%+ from a few years previously. What happened to them? Renaults used to be very common, clios, meganes and lagunas all over the place but the newer models have just seemed to disappear. What was it? Poor cars with too many faults? Shoddy dealers turning customers off? From what you've described, its like they're pulling out of the market and in severe trouble. Not that the French would let anything happen to them but still. All quite bizarre.

I hadn't heard of this. I watched the new car registration figures plummet in the aftermath of the financial crisis and whilst most marques suffered, the French ones seemed to really take a hammering down 30%+ from a few years previously. What happened to them? Renaults used to be very common, clios, meganes and lagunas all over the place but the newer models have just seemed to disappear. What was it? Poor cars with too many faults? Shoddy dealers turning customers off? From what you've described, its like they're pulling out of the market and in severe trouble. Not that the French would let anything happen to them but still. All quite bizarre.

Have you looked at a Laguna lately? It is only one of the ugliest, gawkiest cars on sale anywhere. It (finally) got a lovely interior and then they styled it like that. It had no hope in hell of ever being a seller looking that hideous.

As you can see here the Clio and Megane are still good sellers in Europe (these are the full year 2011 figures):

http://bestsellingca...t-for-1st-time/

They don't show all the cars in that list but to give you an idea of the other Renault products' sales have a look at the full year final sales for Germany (2011):

http://bestsellingca...-already-at-22/

Laguna is at number 125 with 4,859 sales vs the Superb's 16,653 sales at number 52. Not to mention the Passat at number 2 with 103,507 sales. That puts it into perspective I think.

Not much difference in price between a basic VW and a Basic Renault.

Megane 1.6 (100) - £15800

Golf S 1.2TSI (105) - £17300

Octavia S 1.2TSI(105 - £14030

What would you rather have?

The little you save on the Renault is lost as soon as you drive it out the showroom.

Not to mention a lot of us have experienced French built quality in the past. I know I wouldn't be keen to get another.

I guess people are actually starting to think about what they do with their money. I had thought new registrations were holding up.

Edited by Aspman

Not much difference in price between a basic VW and a Basic Renault.

Megane 1.6 (100) - £15800

Golf S 1.2TSI (105) - £17300

Octavia S 1.2TSI(105 - £14030

What would you rather have?

The little you save on the Renault is lost as soon as you drive it out the showroom.

Not to mention a lot of us have experienced French built quality in the past. I know I wouldn't be keen to get another.

I guess people are actually starting to think about what they do with their money. I had thought new registrations were holding up.

All true enough, though the list prices don't show the whole story.

Some makes have vastly inflated list prices then use huge discounts to reel in the customers (though this costs them company car sales) and others hold firm.

I'm sure if you wandered into the showroom and started waving cash around you'd see a bigger gap in prices between the French and German options.

I'm sure if you wandered into the showroom and started waving cash around you'd see a bigger gap in prices between the French and German options.

No doubt. I'm not so sure those tricks work so well any more. Look at the bashing Tesco gets for price manipulation.

I'd guess also that arguably after 3 years even with a heavy discount the Renault will still work out more expensive than the VW.

Back on topic I guess you'll have to start test driving soon to get round them all. That might change your opinions.

Someone mentioned teh Lancia Delta? I saw one in a Kia/Jeep showroom. The pictures don't do justice in showing just how deeply ugly that car is. And not cheap.

Someone mentioned teh Lancia Delta? I saw one in a Kia/Jeep showroom. The pictures don't do justice in showing just how deeply ugly that car is. And not cheap.

Chrysler Delta to be correct. :giggle: And just in saying that you realise what a farce that car is. It looks 100% like a Lancia (right down to the 1950s two tone paint job) but has an American label on the nose and tail. Have you sat in the back? I've never sat on a seat so uncomfortable and intent on pushing you off it rather than letting you sit on it. To pay £26,000 for the "pleasure" is even more laughable.

Chrysler Delta to be correct. :giggle:

I didn't even notice the Chrysler badge. That'll be why it was in with the Jeeps :p

No didn't get in it. I was so powerfully repulsed by the mingin' exterior. Like walking up to a sewage plant with your mouth open.

Edited by Aspman