Router security

Slugman

Hi all

I've done a stupid thing and lost the password to my Virgin cable router. Not the WPA code but the one you use to get access to all the software settings. I reset it from the default that the Virgin routers ship with and wrote it down somewhere safe - not safe enough, clearly.

Is there some sort of "override" code to get access or do I have to buy a new router?

Cheers

Andy

Model number is NETGEAR WGR614v9

Standard router shipped by Virgin a couple of years ago. I'll look for the pin reset button in the morning - don't want to disturb the sleeping baby with all the rummaging I'll have to do. Don't mind if I lose the settings as I want to change the password, since last night it twice dropped the wi-fi to the extent that my MPB stopped recognising the network and I had to re-enter the WPA password - never happened before so just playing safe.

Remove power, insert pin in reset, power on and release pin after a few seconds - this should hard reset.

Model number is NETGEAR WGR614v9

Standard router shipped by Virgin a couple of years ago. I'll look for the pin reset button in the morning - don't want to disturb the sleeping baby with all the rummaging I'll have to do. Don't mind if I lose the settings as I want to change the password, since last night it twice dropped the wi-fi to the extent that my MPB stopped recognising the network and I had to re-enter the WPA password - never happened before so just playing safe.

Wireless seems to be q common problem with them. I've resorted to using an old adsl linksys set in switching mode as the only way to get reliable WiFi. This has happened on two virgin routers for us now.

Edited by TriggerFish

They may have done at one time but now you can use any router that's compatible with cable as far as I know. I think the main problem with the virgin router (and wireless generally) is that other wireless traffic often springs up in your area and knocks your signal to bits. In built up areas in particular this is a problem. I found mine was fine for about 3 months then I started to get very slow connections and sometimes dropped the signal. All diagnostics showed every thing was fine with the line, changing channels didn't help either, but a quick scan at different intervals showed quite a lot of new wireless traffic had built up and was knocking my signal. I went to powerline plugs and have never looked back. Full speed all the time.

Reset as others have described.

Check for a firmware upgrade on that model, could improve wireless performance.

Could also be that it's battling for channel supremecy with a new router in a neighbour's house. Most routers will use either the top or bottom of the range, so try changing the channel to something in the middle (5-7) and see if things improve.

If you have an Android phone download wifi analyzer author Kevin yuan. This will show you all the routers in your area and what channel they are on so you can set yours to a free channel. Also good for doing a signal check around the house. I do IT support and would not be without it :-)

John

Thanks for the all the replies. Heading home shortly so will take a look at resetting it to start with and see how I go. Have the in laws staying at the moment so may be placed on entertainment duty :-(.

If you have an Android phone download wifi analyzer author Kevin yuan. This will show you all the routers in your area and what channel they are on so you can set yours to a free channel. Also good for doing a signal check around the house. I do IT support and would not be without it :-)

John

Might be worth stating that only channel spacing works such that you'll only get a non-conflict every 5 channels (so if neighbour is on 1, you'll need to be on 6, 2 and 7, 6 and 11 etc).

I have a wireless router....and there are around 10 to 15 others within range of my...so heavy traffic.......I got my own Belkin router and there are settings for "heavy" traffic areas etc.....it it gets really bad I just change the channel again........ B)