Power steering light (orange) and torque sensor

ipl

Hello all,

About 2 years ago I strated this thread:

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/151432-power-steering-light-torque-sensor

(brief summary: Power steering warning light is permanently lit orange, but steering feels fine)

I've been ignoring the light ever since, but I now believe that the light will lead to an MOT failure next time it's tested (September)

I got a local garage to take a look, and their fault code reader reported 00573 (Torque sensor: implausible signal)

The recommended fix was a new steering rack (as the torque sensor is part of the rack) plus a new loom (as suggested by Tech1e in the previous thread - thanks :-), which looked like it could easily cost £1000 with VAT and labour.

It struck me that the problem may be the connection between the sensor and (presumably) the ECU, and that it might be possible to check this myself. Can anyone point me at the right place to look? Explicit instructions and/or photos would be good, as I've never done any more than top up the fluids on it - oh and maybe change the brake pads....

Oh yes, it'a an early Octavia II estate, 2005, 1.9TDi

Thanks in advance,

Ian.

i have the same orange light lit up with same fault code.but steering works fine. this came on after i changed the left drive shaft at the local non skoda garage. guess they did the work with improper tools.lesson learned- never give ur car to a local garage for any major work :o

Thanks, DGW. I was hoping someone could just point me to the right place to check for a loose connection/frayed cables etc. I don't really need a wiring diagram or anything fancy. I guess a haynes manual might be worth a shot if no one on here knows .

Cheers,

Ian.

Thanks, DGW. I was hoping someone could just point me to the right place to check for a loose connection/frayed cables etc. I don't really need a wiring diagram or anything fancy. I guess a haynes manual might be worth a shot if no one on here knows .

Cheers,

Ian.

I agree with DGW

A Haynes manual is 20.99 at Halfords and a day's access to Erwin is just €24. (You can download all you can eat and read later) :thumbup:

Haynes don't do a manual for the Mk II but if they did they are nowhere near as good as they used to be.

The torque sensor itself is internal to the power steering motor so there isn't much to check. The new rack will be a modified type as fitted to the FL Octavias with a three bolt fixing rather than four (useless info really).

Yeah, I really just wanted to check that the wires are intact, plugs are fimly seated, and maybe try cleaning the contacts. It would be easier if I knew where to start looking though....

Probably clutching at straws, but it's gotta be worth a go. Unless I have to remove half of the engine first of course....

Point taken about Haynes manuals. I've not bought one for years....

Cheers,

I.

• 11 months later...

Just a warning, I had the orange light show and ignored it. 2 weeks later on M54 light changed to red with a VERY loud bleep and my steering went almost solid! Even at speed! I heaved it into Telford services and got recovered back to Bedford (Thanks GEM).

Though the car was possible to steer, you would not be able to swerve in an emergency.

I realised why after, because the rack is driven by a worm and wheel gear,(the worm drive is motor driven) If the motor is dead you are turning the worm and wheel backwards and spinning the motor at a very high gearing. Hard work! Jack it up and turn the steering wheel with ignition off to see what I mean.

This cost me about £700 to sort, exchange rack from independant company and fit by Skoda dealer.

Buy at your own risk from scrap dealer as you dont know how the car was damaged. A front or side/front will often damage the torgue sensor. Even a kerbing or big pophole will do it.

Edited by Osmodia