Maxidot oil temp

Granpaj

I have done a bit of research into the whole sensor thing. My scepticism was a little ill-placed as the sensor that is apparently used by VAG does have very limited capability to measure oil condition as well as oil temperature and level. However, the service interval still relies heavily on algorithms that use the sensor data and others to form a recommendation for oil change. The sensor measures the oil's permittivity, which is influenced by a number of factors such as soot content, acids, water, glycol and so on. However, it is not, in itself, a reliable measure of used oil condition and can only be used in conjunction with other measurements and assumptions to estimate oil condition.

I have seen 'oil condition sensors' come and go over the last 20 years and only in the last few years have they started to become reliable enough to use in a consumer application, and then only in a very limited way. With access to a laboratory, a used oil is normally condemned on a number of factors, such as:

- viscosity (too high = oxidation and/or soot thickening; too low = shearing and/or fuel dilution)

- TBN too low (total base number; an alkaline reserve that 'mops up' acids)

- TAN too high (total acid number; a measure of the acids in the oil)

- oxidation and nitration (determined by FTIR)

- fuel dilution (by gas chromatography ideally, but other volatility measures can be used)

- glycol contamination (from a failed head gasket usually)

- wear metals (tested by ICP-AES; you can monitor trends such as iron, copper, tin etc and spot if any take off and predict which engine component is failing)

- etc

There is not a sensor in the world that can do even half of that. Permittivity sensors can only suggest oil condition as they don't actually measure any of the above factors directly.

That said, the ECU that is working out oil change intervals still needs to know oil temperatures as well as oil permittivity ("condition"), so it must be measuring both simultaneously.

Edited by weasley

• 4 weeks later...

The setting in also on the dealer diagnostic machine in self diagnosis, you just go to

17 - dash cluster

10 - adaptation

Setting extended service schedule (SID or ESI) or words to that effect

Bottom box is poor or good oil quality, click that and another box drops down

Oil sensor connected or not connected to dash cluster, select the first option

Oil temp now appears on the dash.

Allams Skoda kindly did this for me today with a printout of this ^ to hand. It made no difference, I still don't have the option to enable oil temp in the MFD. :(

e16a09d9.jpg

The setting in there in VCDS

The setting in also on the dealer diagnostic machine in self diagnosis, you just go to

17 - dash cluster

10 - adaptation

Setting extended service schedule (SID or ESI) or words to that effect

Bottom box is poor or good oil quality, click that and another box drops down

Oil sensor connected or not connected to dash cluster, select the first option

Oil temp now appears on the dash.

What does the next ESI drop down box do exactly? the one that has options for good or bad oil quality. Is it to do with longlife oil for variable servicing?

Allams Skoda kindly did this for me today with a printout of this ^ to hand. It made no difference, I still don't have the option to enable oil temp in the MFD. :(

It won't, if it's not in the menu to start with its not possible. This just turns it back on when it's there and reading ---

What does the next ESI drop down box do exactly? the one that has options for good or bad oil quality. Is it to do with longlife oil for variable servicing?

Yes, poor oil quality is fixed service, good oil quality is variable.

It's a bit unfair for example to call PD oil poor quality, far from it. Makes it sound like your filling it with crisp n dry or something.

• Like 1

Yes, poor oil quality is fixed service, good oil quality is variable.

It's a bit unfair for example to call PD oil poor quality, far from it. Makes it sound like your filling it with crisp n dry or something.

Thanks for clarifying that.

'Poor oil quality' is very Germanic in its description, like a lot of VAG terminology. I'll set my CR170 to poor oil quality and fill it with oil from the chippie down the road - happy days!

i asked a question at my local skoda garage in the parts department about putting the overhead sunglasses holder in instead of the blank .he said i dont know and asked the guys in the back of garage and none of them knew if you could or not.

surely skoda and the rest of the motor companys need to sort out thier mechanics and staff.when it takes a forum of enthusiats(sorry for spelling) to sort out a problem.

maybe they should hire you lot :rofl:

Dealers = 99% not bothered.

Sales are ok(ish) sometimes. I haven't had a truly pleasant experience with any service department in years. It sucks but it's true - from mildly incompetent to downright rude and negligent - every time I think I've seen it all another dealership finds a new way to boggle my mind.

You couldn't make up some of the things I've experienced if you tried...

Help, I don't understand, I changed the value to variable with the sensor connected, the screen says "good oil quality' but I still don't see oil temp in the Maxidot? I did exactly the same as described above...