Lining gloveboxes

simon_g

Came across this post referring to using self-adhesive neoprene tape to line the door pockets on an Octavia. The hard plastic gloveboxes in the Fabia were annoying me - as more stuff has ended up in my car, you could hear it moving about under cornering and often it would all rattle away on the motorway too.

So I picked up 5m of 50mm wide, 3mm thick neoprene for just over £6 from ebay, and set to work today. It's pretty easy stuff to work with, I just cut a section roughly the right length, offered it up and made more cuts until it was a good fit before peeling the backing and sticking properly.

Here's an example (top glovebox):

6817293979_79ed46da70_z.jpg

Glovebox by kiteless, on Flickr

It comes out too light in photos, really it's more of a (very) dark grey and blends in fine with dark vRS interior.

5m was enough to do both gloveboxes, both door pockets, the cubby under the headlight switch and still have a metre or so over if you wanted to do any other areas.

• Like 3

Agreed. Spot on ! emoticon-0148-yes.gif

I've used those sticky rubberised mats where I can. even the 2 little compartments in the boot need lining for me.

Also, if you hear a bloody annoying rattle coming from 'somewhere' behind you, chances are it's the 2 rear seat belt catches rattling against each other emoticon-0143-smirk.gif

The description states 50mm wide and it looks that way from your photo. The photo of the item on ebay however is something like 10mm wide at most.

I take it they have the wrong picture there?

I think they sell in lots of different widths / lengths / thicknesses and just use the one photo. What turned up was definitely 50mm wide.

I think they sell in lots of different widths / lengths / thicknesses and just use the one photo. What turned up was definitely 50mm wide.

Thought so. Anyway I ordered myself some of this, only 40mm wide as I thought It would be easier to fit in tighter places as well.

Is this material any sound deadening at-all? I mean could it be used on door panels for rattling elimination/stereo sound improvement?

• 1 year later...

I know it s an old thread, but it is never to late to say thank you for a good tip :) . Besides, your idea deserves more attention. I just bought a roll of this Neoprene rubber, but mine is 1.50mm thick and 75mm wide. I am looking forward to "install" it.

• Like 1

I used self addesive black velor fablon from DIY shops to line my upper glovebox. used it to line bottom sides and top,covering screw heads .again very easy to use and looks factory fit

If it is the same kind of velour as in the armrest from Skoda, the Neoprene Rubber is much, much better. The Neoprene Rubber makes it impossible to hear things rattling around in, say, a glovebox. The velour doesn't. I am actually thinking of striping the velour in my armrest and install the Neoprene instead - or perhaps install the Neoprene atop the Velour.

I can safely say now, that 1.5mm of the Neoprene Rubber is enough to stop any audible rattling.

Edited by Kent (DK)

Looks good. Hadn't thought about sticky neoprene, I just used some of the non slip mesh stuff. Need to have a look on ebay!

This. I got two £1 mats from Asda that turned out to be nearly the exact size.

Just noticed I've quoted a year old post but the point is still valid! :blush:

Edited by CB1

The non slip mesh stuff is good, the sticky neoprene for me is better even if it is more fiddly to fit neatly. Also means you can line more than the bottom of boxes and pockets.

Yes, I agree completely.

• 3 years later...

Just to bump this, as it deserves bumping :)

Found this thread while searching forum-wide for something else and it's a brilliant idea. Have lined door pockets etc with felt-type material before, but this is far better suited and the fact it's adhesive backed makes it even better :thumbup:

Off to buy a roll - thanks again.