Octavia Diesel Scout or Superb 4X4 CR

I'm in a bit of a quandary, it's time to let my trusted Octy go and perhaps more grudgingly my Fab to fund a 4x4. I presumed I'd go for the Scout, the natural progression from my standard Octavia but checking nationally for used two to three year olds I keep finding Superb 4x4 CR's similar or cheaper than than even a PD Scout. Even on sites like Autobid a new standard Superb 140 4x4 is similar priced to the scout with just a couple of added options.

I've had the Octy over 5 years and would keep my next motor for at least that. I want 4x4 primarily for towing my van on small grassed caravan sites and rallies on farm fields so don't need a pucker 4x4 just the added traction especially on wet/sodden rough grass.

I know I should be looking at whole life costs but my head has been turned by the Superb and it's bells and whistles. There's a dealer sale Superb 170 Elegance 4x4, low miles 59 plate up for 16K, I can't find a Scout for that. I would be trading in the Octy and either trade or private sale the Fab. My wife would occasionally need to drive and would miss the ease of driving the Fab.

My question is, which would be the better choice from the towing generally perspective and on grass in particular. I've posted this on the Octy forum aswell.

Edited by SlobbyK

More Power, More Weight and More gadgets from a Superb over an Octy.

And i think you'll b VERY surprised by the Haldex 4x4 system - it is a "Pucker" 4x4 system - mine went everywhere i pointed it last winter, unlike the neighbours Range Rover Vogue!

Al.

More Power, More Weight and More gadgets from a Superb over an Octy.

And i think you'll b VERY surprised by the Haldex 4x4 system - it is a "Pucker" 4x4 system - mine went everywhere i pointed it last winter, unlike the neighbours Range Rover Vogue!

Al.

Thanks UK CRUISER, by 'pucker 4x4' i meant true off road with hill climbs and river crossings in the Amazon jungle or even some of the A roads in Manchester!

Like the sound of yours Al, what do you think of the 16k price for the dealer's 170 Elegance 4x4 59 plate 24k miles.

Cheers R

Edited by SlobbyK

Hi

I can't comment on a 4x4, but I purchased a June 2010 Superb Estate SE 170 at the beginning of December, primarily for towing our Coachman Pastiche 460/2 caravan (1420kg MPTLM). I previously had a 2005 Mondeo estate (TDi 155). I have been very pleased with the Superb, both driving solo and towing. There is plenty of torque and power and the gear ratios enable towing in 6th gear in favourable conditions. I tend not to hang around when towing on dual carriageways and motorways and I am getting 25-28mpg towing. The vast space between the front and rear seats is ideal for plastic boxes with caravan sundries, leaving the massive boot mainly for the dog and a tool bag, with pleanty of space in the boot pockets for wheel locks/chocks etc.

We also mainly use CLs all the year around. I found that with care the Mondeo would wind the van off most wet grass etc. It feels as if the Superb will do the same, even if not 4X4, altho I have not yet tested it in anger. Anyway it was great last week on an expedition to the Cotswolds (minus 8C overnight and snow!!). I paid 17,450 for it with 11,700 on the clock, from a Skoda main dealer and got a reasonable P/Ex for the Mondeo.

Hope this might help with your decision.

Cheers

Paul R T

Thanks Paul, you put a great case for the Superb, you are giving me cabin fever with your travel tales, I must get away asap, CLs for me to.

I have been towing caravans for over 26 years with all sorts of cars. Currently have a VW Tiguan 2.0 CDi 4x4 and it tows like a dream (caravan is a 2009 Swift Challenger 540 - Max 1500Kg). Have just agreed to buy a Superb Elegance 170 2.0 4x4 and HOPING its as good as the Caravan Club and others say it is for towing purposes.

I know the caravan is a little heavy considering the 85% suggested rule - but after 26 years I think I can handle the small amount of extra towing weight. The caravan has proper car-type shock absorbers and we rarely fill it to the max. Fingers crossed.

Hi to the previous post,

I also reckon you will be OK with this combination. Published figures for the kerbweights of Skodas do not include the usual allowance of 75kg for a driver. The handbook for my 2010 Superb gives the figures for all models of the "Unloaden weight ready for work". For the 2.0 CR 170 4x4 Manual, this gives 1647kg for the car and 1669kg for the estate. This work out at 91% for the car and 90% for the estate, if you were towing your 1500kg caravan fully laden. Given the stability and good towing reputation of the Superb, which I can now vouch for, and your many years' experience of towing, that should be fine, even tho it is over the 85% guideline.

Cheers

Paul R T

I have been towing caravans for over 26 years with all sorts of cars. Currently have a VW Tiguan 2.0 CDi 4x4 and it tows like a dream (caravan is a 2009 Swift Challenger 540 - Max 1500Kg). Have just agreed to buy a Superb Elegance 170 2.0 4x4 and HOPING its as good as the Caravan Club and others say it is for towing purposes.

I know the caravan is a little heavy considering the 85% suggested rule - but after 26 years I think I can handle the small amount of extra towing weight. The caravan has proper car-type shock absorbers and we rarely fill it to the max. Fingers crossed.

Thanks Optimist,

Just got back from test driving Superb Elegance 170 2.0 4x4 59 plate, I knew i would like it, it was just to see if the trade in and money stuff would add up for me. Just rang the rep to give more info on my Fab and arrange for another look with my wife on Friday to be told there is another chap who tows who coming tomoz to view from a fair whack away and seems keen so it probably wont be there on Friday.

o right, it wasn't clear from the thread title as there's a fabia scout (available with the same 1.6tdi as found in superb) and octavia scout

Thanks, now edited title to clarify.

Not now I think but maybe in the future.

Doubt they will ever make one... they need to differentiate the brands within the VAG group.

Audi and VW dont have a "Small" estate (Skoda have the Fabia)

Skoda does not have a Large off-roader (Audi have the Q7)

Skoda does not have a HUGE Saloon (VW Phaeton and Audi A8)

VW and Skoda dont have a Roadster (Audi TT)

Skoda and Audi dont have a people carrier (Seat Alhambra and VW whatever it is!)

etc etc...

Doubt they will ever make one... they need to differentiate the brands within the VAG group.

Audi and VW dont have a "Small" estate (Skoda have the Fabia)

Skoda does not have a Large off-roader (Audi have the Q7)

Skoda does not have a HUGE Saloon (VW Phaeton and Audi A8)

VW and Skoda dont have a Roadster (Audi TT)

Skoda and Audi dont have a people carrier (Seat Alhambra and VW whatever it is!)

etc etc...

Your probably right, but just look at this little number posted on the Octy forum.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/157948/skoda-superb-scout-winter-spy-shots/

Your probably right, but just look at this little number posted on the Octy forum.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/157948/skoda-superb-scout-winter-spy-shots/

I doubt that's a "scout" pre-production model - it's no higher than my 4x4 and has the 18" rims from a standard road-car too...

However, it could be the 2013 FaceLift model, without painted bumpers...!

Al.

I doubt that's a "scout" pre-production model - it's no higher than my 4x4 and has the 18" rims from a standard road-car too...

However, it could be the 2013 FaceLift model, without painted bumpers...!

Al.

Al,

I think you're right. Look at the Superb on this website. It's related to another recent topic here, and I think what the caradvice.com.au chaps are reporting is not the factory version. Apart from the colour the external spec looks identical to the bt-design.cz Superb.

I think it actually looks better than the factory version, but it would need a bit more ground clearance and perhaps different wheels/tyres.

Simon

Superb Scout should debut on Geneva auto show in march. The question is will be there 170PS/4x4/DSG variant, or just 140PS

That'd be nice....but its also what 'they' said last year.............

Thanks for all your input folks, my failure after my test drive on Wednesday to put a £100 returnable deposit on it prior to returning on Friday with my wife to buy it resulted with a gentleman from Huddersfield stealing it from me on the Thursday. Lesson learnt.

Can't see another Nov 09, 170 CR, 4x4 Elegance, 24k Superb coming up anytime soon at anyway near 16k so I'll just carry on sulking and kicking things and blaming my wife..

Cheerio R

I have been through two winters now in my CR170 4x4 and it has been brilliant.

It does need winter tyres however to bring out the best performance.

Phil.