Stolen engine?

xa0sx

Just been offered an engine for £300... It comes with the gearbox, turbo, injectors, everything that was in the bay really... It was running before it was removed from the car (PD130 Ibiza).

Is there anyway to check if it's stolen? Seems stupidly cheap...

Does it even matter if it is stolen? Can they check or anything?

Not really sure they can check, don't think the chassis number is coupled to the engine, and as long as you didn't steal it you didn't do anything wrong lol what's wrong with yours? :(

What is the relevance of this question? Lol. He might want to fit it to his pedal bike....

Because Luke has done so much to his car, I was just curious to know what he's up to next!

Or are you (Luke) just thinking of spares & repairs?

The engine number is recorded on the V5C (I believe), so the DVLA should be able to easily look it up and match it to a particular reg number/chassis number/last registered keeper. Whether they'd do it for you I have no idea, and whether the police would get involved based just on your speculation that it might be stolen is another matter.

For £300, I'd be tempted to snap it up, if it turns out to be stolen I'm sure you could make your £300 back by selling parts which aren't marked with the engine number and weighing in any marked parts as scrap for cash...not like anyone will ever check, probably.

The obvious problem is if you fit the engine to a vehicle.

IF it is ever noticed you'll probably lose the car while they look into it as they'll want to check the vehicle for other stolen parts.

Ever been the victim of theft? Not a nice feeling to see your pride and joy missing. If it's legit then there should be paperwork. Stolen goods will be recovered and you'll be out of pocket. I doubt your insurance company would pay on a major claim.

PS Ask if they've got any war memorial plaques for sale?

If you are not going to buy it, then report the details to the Police as being suspicious, you may be doing a favour to a Briskoda member who has had their car stolen in the past.

DB

I'm not reporting a friend because there's a little chance an engine he's selling me may be stolen lol... I know he didn't steal it but it seems too cheap to be true, maybe he knows something I don't...

I'm not reporting a friend because there's a little chance an engine he's selling me may be stolen lol... I know he didn't steal it but it seems too cheap to be true, maybe he knows something I don't...

Think you just answered your own question. If it's too good to be true then it probably is!