3 kids car seats + MKII VRS rear seat = not enough space!

So, here's my situation. MKII VRS and we need to put the 3 kids in the back seat.

Kid 1: 6, sits on small booster cushion and uses regular seat belt

Kid 2: 4, sits on bigger Britax booster with back rest and uses regular seat belt

Kid 3: 10 months, uses a rear facing Maxi Cosi rock-a-tot with the regular seat belt

Problem - the damn VRS back seat is TINY when you try to fit all of them in! Skoda, in their infinite wisdom, seem to have put in massive side bolsters on the rear seat beside each back door. I'm sure they're really supportive when you're sitting in the back being chucked around, but they reduce the useable space on the rear bench considerably. not very kid seat friendly. Most kid seats have a wide footprint on the back seat.

Other than putting one of them up for adoption ;-) or getting rid of my beloved VRS :-( , there's only two solutions I see.

1. Remove the rear seat bolsters. Yes they come off, without too much difficulty. Increases the usable space considerably. Problem is it leaves a considerable amount of chassis exposed including a big metal joint which a kid could easily whack their head off.

2. Put the rock-a-tot in the front with the air bag disabled and put in the missus in the back middle. Not ideal either and will only work while the youngest is in a rock-a-tot seat. Once he moves up to the next size seat, they'll all have to go in the back.

Anyone else in the same boat? Anyone come up with any nice compact kids booster seats? Especially ones thare are VRS back seat friendly?

2. Put the rock-a-tot in the front with the air bag disabled and put in the missus in the back middle. Not ideal either and will only work while the youngest is in a rock-a-tot seat. Once he moves up to the next size seat, they'll all have to go in the back.

You can put a child of any age in the front now, if they have the correct child seat. They don't have to go in the back.

I always have my son in the front passenger seat in his Recaro Young Sport so he can see what's going on.

He loves it!

http://www.childcarseats.org.uk/law/

yeah this is always a problem with child seats, i dont have kids myself but look after my sisters kids often and they both have child seats atm

it was funny before i passed my test as my sister had a Mk1 Clio 3dr and we all went for a camping trip, 5 of us with two child seats and a weeks worth of stuff :rofl: needless to say 70mph was a push!

Over 12years old and 135cm (i think) they can sit in the front without a booster but before that he must have a booster

one thing i will say though..the octy has a big boot ;) i always joke with the kids im going to put them in there if they mark my seats

Thanks all.

I'm in Ireland, but the legislation seems to be similar to the UK, at least according to Halfrauds:

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ACArticleDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=11101&catalogId=17201&categoryId=246101&articleId=722322

I was unaware that kids under 12 could use the front seat with a child seat. Thought they had to be in the back. So I guess my problem is solved! We put the biggest kids seat on the passenger seat and then the other 3 just have to fight over the space in the back! Woo hoo!!! I can keep my RS!!!

Aside from all the 3 row 7 seaters there are very few 2 row 5 seat cars that can take 3 child seats in row 2. The 5 Seat Citroen Picasso has no problem but you have to go down the Kangoo or Doblo route for anything else.

I had the same issue when downsizing from a Toyota Verso. There is however a car in the Skoda range which can cope (just) and it is the Roomster. The reason it works over the rest of the range is the ability of the outer 2 seats to be in front or behind the centre seat giving just enough wriggle room to get all of the seat belts fastened.

Have a look at this:

http://www.multimac.co.uk/home

Not cheap (approx £1000), but I guess it is cheaper than changing your car......

Before anyone posts about the legality of this, I've cut and pasted it from their website

Is Multimac Legal?

Yes: It has been tested and approved to the latest European Standard ECE 44-04 where its results were dramatically better than the specified requirements.

As the first multiple child seat, it has probably been subjected to more scrutiny than any child seat in history, including BSI, TRL, VCA, British government, European government, Swedish Road Administration and VTI.

The Insurance Companies have been notified that it will be available, and have given their approval, acknowledging that it does actually increase the number of passengers carried in a car, and welcoming its contribution to enhanced child safety.

You do however have to notify your insurer that you are using a Multimac: you will then be covered in any eventuality, and if your Multimac is stolen, or damaged in an accident, it will be replaced.

Britain’s largest Insurer has actually positively endorsed it.

J

As said not many cars will take 3 car seats in the back. One in the front is the only option really - Remember to turn the airbag off if its a rear facing little childs seat.

After 2 kids it was either the snip or having to buy a french car :o

Ive got the same mate. I found if u put the rear facing car seat behind passenger seat and use car mats to flatten the recess of the rear seat and also won't damage ur seats. U can nudge it over a couple of cm's then booster in the middle and other behind u. It is a squeeze but just fits.