Orange front sidelight bulb

I'm looking to get a set of orange front sidelight bulbs for my 2006 vRS,

I've found some on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Amber-Yellow-Orange-CANBUS-ERROR-FREE-501-W5W-T10-194-8-SMD-LED-bulbs-/300654153716?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4600624ff4#ht_1364wt_1270

They all seem to be listed as indicator bulbs, has anyone used them as sidelight bulbs instead or have any links to what I need?

Thanks

dont some bmw's & volvos have orange side lights now. the only thing i would worry about is if ur in a crash, the other party could blame you for showing orange lights. So they could say that you confused them and thought you were turning in and not going strait on. they could look ok though.

Mark, forward facing lights have to be white or amber over here, i think if you put in orange people will just think your indicators are stuck on

Amber/Yellow would look good :thumbup:

edit:oh and dont forget the pics :giggle:

Edited by Dallan

You're doing it wrong. Aside from being illegal, they'll look rubbish when parked up as you'll have a major fried egg effect. I'd also replace the indicator bulbs with Philips silvervision to make the light clusters look as good as possible when the lights are off.

The correct way to achieve the effect you're after is to set it via VCDS to have indicators as running lights. That's how mine is set. You only run the indicators at 20% illumination, so there's no problem in distinguishing it from a turn signal.

I did however fail my MOT yesterday for this. I argued about the volvo / bmw thing to no avail.

My silvervision indicators at 20% brightness, with normal white sidelights on too, in daylight:

262032_10150700684810593_848035592_19341690_2537729_n.jpg

I've got to set it back to stock to re-do the MOT on Friday so I'll screenshot VCDS then.

Spec:

PD170 running Shark DPF-off map, dyno'd at 212hp / 360lbft.

Southbend stage 2 clutch and single mass flywheel

Darkside EGR delete

Peloquin limited slip diff

Milltek big bore downpipe

AP coilovers

BBS CH028 18" wheels with 215 tyres.

Neuspeed short shifter.

Porsche 996 turbo front brakes on 350mm Merc discs.

Audi S3 rear brakes powder coated to match the Porsches.

Octavia and VRS badges removed.

Professionally painted grill surround

gecleant black glass rear wiper blank.

Recaro Sportster CS seats.

Mk6 Golf multifunction steering wheel

LED interior lights

L&K door and dash trims and custom piano black MFD / climatronic surround.

Kenwood DNX520VBT Nav

Pioneer speakers, dynamatted doors

Kenwood sub.

Probably some other bits too, that's all I can remember off the top of my head. :)

Hi. Yes, I passed my MOT today. Sorry, I didn't get a screenshot, but it's just controller 09 (Central Electronics), Byte 7 iirc. You set the percentage value that you want them to illuminate.

I can't verify that's right because my car's over at darkside this weekend.

I did however fail my MOT yesterday for this. I argued about the volvo / bmw thing to no avail.

Could this be that the BMW has them as a completely separate set of lights? IIR the sidelights are the angel eyes and the indicators the "eye-brows'.

Dud they give a reason or was it just 'fail'?

Yeah, the 5 series ones are fairly obviously separate lights. But the Volvo ones, the V70s in particular look to the casual observer just like the indicators. They just failed it saying "indicators coming on with side-lights". I put them to 0%, did the re-test and put them back up. :)

Changed the coding today to activate the DRL's in the front indicators, I think I need to use a higher percentage on the bulb though, it was hard to judge the brightness during the day,

Nick said he set his at 20%, The VCDS could be set to any number between 0 and 255 afaik, I set it 20, presuming that would be 20%, I think now though I should have put it to around 50, which would equate to approx 20% of 255, Hope this makes sense!! Going to change it in a while and see if it makes any difference....

Could have sworn mine had a 0-100 scale. Maybe it's a different module version.

Yeah mate, it was definitely 0-255, I'll see what happens when I change it!!

Orange side lights are not allowed in Ireland. Have to be white.

Without trying to sound bad, I don't really care what's allowed and what's not allowed, I'll have orange sidelight's, well DRL's......

Edited by mark_eire