What Mountain Bike

TriggerFish

Hi all,

Looking to replacing my ageing 10 y/o Saracen as a 21st present to myself as it's getting a bit worn, and I've grown several feet since getting it aged 11! Plus most of it has been replaced several times, and most of the 'drivetrain' bits are worn out.

I've got a budget of around £600 (will happily spend less, but will equally go higher for the right bike). So far, I've struggled to find much, but I keep getting drawn back to this: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pinnacle/iroko-one-mountain-bike-ec027476#features

It could be complete rubbish, but the spec looks pretty good - the only big unknown is the frame. Just wondering what peoples thoughts are as I know there are keen bikers on here, or what else you'd suggest. Name and model year don't bother me, but I'd need a large frame which are starting to get hard to find for 2011 models.

It's mostly gonna be used on light off-road/trails type terrain, but equally for commuting around town (they've upped parking fees since building a new theatre -_-). I'd rather it was compromised on road, rather than off though. Only things I really want are hydrolic disks, and air forks over coil.

Thanks for any input!

Joe

I'm a MTBer (when the weather is nice!) but to be honest not really up with the latest bikes on the market. You are definitely looking at the right sort of bike though - front suspension only.

I would say the frame is the most important bit to get right, most of the other parts will wear out or be upgraded over time. I am also on the taller side (6' 4") and my bike has a 21" frame. I find that the frame feels too long and it doesn't feel as agile as my previous bike which had a smaller frame. This is all down to the geometry so if possible try and test ride a couple to see how it feels.

• Like 1

Five foot eleven and using a 19.5" frame. I picked up a Trek 4900 second hand at the end of last year, it was well within your budget. It was owned by an outdoor store and was one of their hire-bikes being sold off at the end of season. It's got a fair few marks, but it saves you worrying about scratching the frame yourself. Hydraulic disc brakes and front suspension only, just what you're after :happy: Might be worth considering looking out for something like that and saving a few pennies?

• Like 1

I'd definately recommend buying second hand! You get a lot more bang for your buck so to speak. You could get a nice XC bike for within your budget. Have a look out on bikesoup and pink bike as well as eBay. A Specialized FSR is within your budget (second hand) and are a lot of bike for your money!

There's a lot out there.

• Like 1

Also try and find a last year model, you can get some pretty heavy discounts when the new models come in!

From my PoV, i can recommend Specialized. I have had 2 now. The first for 8 years, this one for 5. No major mechanical faults with either, I just replaced consumerbles (tyres etc)

Then again, i have promised myself that i would buy Orange next time, buy British and all that. (Good honest bikes from Yorkshire :))

• Like 1

Hi all,

Looking to replacing my ageing 10 y/o Saracen as a 21st present to myself as it's getting a bit worn, and I've grown several feet since getting it aged 11! Plus most of it has been replaced several times, and most of the 'drivetrain' bits are worn out.

I've got a budget of around £600 (will happily spend less, but will equally go higher for the right bike). So far, I've struggled to find much, but I keep getting drawn back to this: http://www.evanscycl...027476#features

It could be complete rubbish, but the spec looks pretty good - the only big unknown is the frame. Just wondering what peoples thoughts are as I know there are keen bikers on here, or what else you'd suggest. Name and model year don't bother me, but I'd need a large frame which are starting to get hard to find for 2011 models.

It's mostly gonna be used on light off-road/trails type terrain, but equally for commuting around town (they've upped parking fees since building a new theatre -_-). I'd rather it was compromised on road, rather than off though. Only things I really want are hydrolic disks, and air forks over coil.

Thanks for any input!

Joe

It looks like quite a reasonable bike.

if you are able to, try and check out the Decathlon RockRiders, they are also very good value for money :thumbup:

What ever you do, make sure you test ride them before buying

Matthew

• Like 1

Thanks all.

That's the trouble I'm having atm - test riding. Being taller, I'm after a bigger big of course. Trouble is I'm also after lots of discounted last years models, which have all either sold out in big frames, or aren't in a local store.

Those FSR's are looking fantastic value 2nd hand - seem to be around £750 BIN, so I'd guess a little less in bidding. Will check out the RockRiders too, thanks. :)

I did see those - went into there to have a quick look at the Careras (sp?) and noticed them. Didn't look for too long as I was with my dad who needed to get home. Will have a look into those too though if they're any good.

I can recommend Specialized as well, having had a Rockhopper (hence my name!) and currently a second hand Epic.

The (Chris) Boardman bikes from Halfords seem to get good reviews as well, (not the Carerra ones which are nothing to do with Boardman)

• Like 1

Cant go wrong with a specialized really. Marin have some great bikes too, and dont discount cube! Cube are mainly older specialized frames with some good components. Really depends on how far you want to go with riding and what kimd of riding you want to do. My last bikes were a cube fritz and a norco. The norco was hardcore downhill bike, 9 gears and tough to ride, the cube was a great all rounder, lock off rear fox air shock with fox 40 rc2 forks!! I pretty much built that myself, if you've got the time and know how that could be a possible route.

The Pinnacle seems to have a good spec for the money but I'd be more drawn to either Cube or Boardman, as per other folks, more for your money with good specs.

Fleabay is a good place to look if you can be bothered (I can't) or try Chain Reaction Cycles, Paul's Cycles (Google either name) or Bike Radar Classifieds.

Regards

I'd stay well clear of ebay. I appreciate that 90% of the sellers are honest but it's a quick and easy way to dispose of a stolen push iron for profit. I suggest you be careful if you decide to go down the this route unless you're buying from a bike shop.

As said above, Chain Reaction is a good place to go. I built my Turner myself as I wanted a custom spec machine but it's more expensive than an off the shelf product.....

Right, thanks all for the suggestions/input.

My biggest problem was trying to find somewhere with a few bikes I like in stock, in my size so I can ride them.

Anyway, pretty sure I'm going to get a Rockhopper (maybe a comp) and see if I can swap my current bombers onto the new bike if they fit. If not, I'll just upgrade them at some point in the future.

As much as some of the other bikes look tempting, I can't find anywhere locally that has them around to ride (especially Cube, which is a shame as they look lovely!), and the Rockhopper seems to get universal praise on the whole.

Again, thanks for any input given. :)

Just need to get used to riding in such an upright position again!

Edited by TriggerFish

Right, thanks all for the suggestions/input.

Anyway, pretty sure I'm going to get a Rockhopper (maybe a comp)!

You won't regret it in my opinion. The frame is a great one and over time you can upgrade parts as necessary.

Just to finish this once and for all - I've gone and placed an or for a Kona Kula 2-9. Not a 2012 model, granted, but it's still a new bike and at a 1/3 of it's original price I figured I couldn't go too badly wrong!

Thanks again for any help.

Joe

Konas are nicely made bikes, if you do fit the bombers remember to check there the same or similar travel size. Otherwise the geometry of the bike will be affected and won't ride as well as it could!

Congrats- get some pics up too ;)

Konas are nicely made bikes, if you do fit the bombers remember to check there the same or similar travel size.

Thanks, I think they're with a cm or two (130mm vs 115 on the bombers?) so should be fine. Will see how I get on with the standard forks first, then I might just give the other bike away as a going concern or something.