Q for **Irish Audience** on the Skoda Ocatvia II 1.8 TSI model

Just a question to the Irish audience on here

Does any of you have a Skoda Ocatvia II 1.8 TSI model from 2009 onwards ( i.e the face lifted model )

If so, did you have to go to the England or the north to buy it ??

I dont think this particular model was sold at all in Ireland from new

My thinking behind why there might be very few 1.8tsi in Ireland is that the Irish hate petrol cars. I'm from northern Ireland originally (strabane) and I was over in September visiting family and 90% of my family all drive diesels. My cousin owns a garage and most off his work is diesels with the smaller petrol engine for people who live in the towns/retired etc who don't do a great deal of mileage. Plus with border towns we pop across the border to fill up as diesel is cheaper than the petrol compared to the mainland uk. In strabane a border town there are no petrol stations as they cannot complete with the 2 literally just across the river in lifford and whilst I was waiting to fill up I was the only petrol car there. The bloke even went to pick up the diesel pump to fill me up until I told him its petrol. So that's why I think you have trouble sourcing a petrol north or south of the border in Ireland. Any reason why u after petrol?

^^ Bang on the button.

I considered a 1.8 tsi when I bought the vRS but was strongly advised against it as resale could be difficult

Asked the dealer recently should i buy a Petrol vRS next time round as I do very little mileage, His reply was " Do you want to marry it?, as you would not have a hope of selling it."

They are still available to order according to Carzone.

Why not buy a S/H Diesel vRS? Superior car in every way.

^^ Bang on the button.

I considered a 1.8 tsi when I bought the vRS but was strongly advised against it as resale could be difficult

Asked the dealer recently should i buy a Petrol vRS next time round as I do very little mileage, His reply was " Do you want to marry it?, as you would not have a hope of selling it."

I used to have diesels all the time but the fabia was my 1st petrol car since 2002. I drive alot with work so have use of a works van so I only get on weekends so was really wasting my money with diesel as I was not getting the benefit of it. Picking up a new octavia Vrs petrol on thurs as its only costing £40 extra a month compard to the 1.2tsi fabia. Not worried about resale value as its on pcp so will px in 3 years anyway but lucky to do 5k a year with only long trip is to northern Ireland from south Wales

• Like 1

Thanks for replies

I have my first diesel now and had always planned on getting another diesel as I like the acceleration in it and the MPG.

But then I started doing research and seeing these DPF issues with modern Diesels.

- I only do 6000 miles a year, when I say this to anyone, they think I'm mad for even owning a diesel

- 70% of my driving is start/stop city driving and rarely long journeys

- petrol cars are cheaper to buy

The way things are going with fuel prices, in 2 years time petrol could well be a good few cent cheaper than diesel

So based on this, what do yee think ?

Also, from what yeer saying, the resale of this car in Ireland could be a big issue. I normally hold on to cars for 3 years and then get another one.

• Like 1

Thanks for replies

I have my first diesel now and had always planned on getting another diesel as I like the acceleration in it and the MPG.

But then I started doing research and seeing these DPF issues with modern Diesels.

- I only do 6000 miles a year, when I say this to anyone, they think I'm mad for even owning a diesel

The way things are going with fuel prices, in 2 years time petrol could well be a good few cent cheaper than diesel

Also, from what yeer saying, the resale of this car in Ireland could be a big issue. I normally hold on to cars for 3 years and then get another one.

Diesel FTW :p the DPF problems on modern diesels could be a little misleading as its something that is an issue mainly with the 2.0 PD TDi when it first got DPF on it the newer modern 2.0 CR TDi's I dare you to find people having the same issues on here. Newer ones have DPF in a different location and also can burn themselves off and essentially self manage the levels built up in DPF itself. I have a 2011 2.0 CR TDi and have only covered 5900 miles in it since last March and no problems what so ever so far.

I think if you have any concerns over DPF and diesels on the Octavia's all you need to do is not look at any older than 2009 ish and it should be a CR

Thanks for replies

70% at least of my driving is stop start around town.

Any chance I get I give it a "blow out" :giggle:

I have a 2010 vRS tdi and have only 21k kms on it. This is solely down to the fact I drove my son to college on a daily basis last year, this year my car is mostly parked up or running to the shops.

I have yet to see a DPF light come on.

Normally I would only have about 12k or so on this in 2 years. I plan on replacing it this year with a new one so mine will be up for grabs. :angel:

• Like 1

^^ Bang on the button.

In regard to the resale issue was this due to the fact that

1. The car was a Skoda

2. the car had a 1.8 litre petrol engine

I'd buy a diesel no bother but it will cost more to buy and Service maybe.

Why is the Diesel VRS a " superior car in every way " ?

Edited by obi604

In regard to the resale issue was this due to the fact that

1. The car was a Skoda

2. the car had a 1.8 litre petrol engine

I'd buy a diesel no bother but it will cost more to buy and Service maybe.

Why is the Diesel VRS a " superior car in every way " ?

1) Because it was a 1,8 petrol

2) How do you maintain a diesel is more expensive to service?

vRS is of much higher spec than the 1.8,

Somebody on VAG drivers.net bought one and regretted it.

Diesel will always be a better reseller here than it's petrol counterpart

• Like 1

1) Because it was a 1,8 petrol

2) How do you maintain a diesel is more expensive to service?

vRS is of much higher spec than the 1.8,

Somebody on VAG drivers.net bought one and regretted it.

Diesel will always be a better reseller here than it's petrol counterpart

I had read before a few time that diesels were slightly more expensive to service than petrols, that's all I know on the matter ; )

Would you have that link to the VAG drivers thread ?

But I only do 6000 miles a year, do I really need a diesel !

I had read before a few time that diesels were slightly more expensive to service than petrols, that's all I know on the matter ; )

Would you have that link to the VAG drivers thread ?

But I only do 6000 miles a year, do I really need a diesel !

I will try to find the thread for you.

May not NEED a diesel but you will save on fuel and will have a car easier to sell when the time comes

• Like 1

Just a bit of advise as I am a vehical tester and mechanic for the last 13 years,I see a lot of cars in my job and in the last 5 years diesel is getting way more popular than petrol in Ireland , I'd say 75% of cars I deal with on a day to day basis is diesel and a lot of them from the vag group too,it's plain and simple that diesel in Ireland is the only way forward and even people doing small milage are starting to buy diesels.

I was always a big petrol head owning lots of sports cars over the last ten years ie mr2 turbo,skylines,silvias,Hondas, etc and I'm even gone into diesel,

Iv currently bought a 2007 vrs tdi 170pd (with 95k km)a month ago and love it,dpf is in all modern cars and even opels and ford give dpf issues,to me if u drive not like a granny all the time u won't have problems,I know lots of vrs pd owners with no dpf issues in up to 160k on there cars.

A vrs tdi will hold its value and continue to do so I think,I was looking at a 09 vrs cr but simply didn't like the power delivery over the pd but that's just preference.

• Like 1

A vrs tdi will hold its value and continue to do so I think,I was looking at a 09 vrs cr but simply didn't like the power delivery over the pd but that's just preference.

until remapped :D then it comes to life properly

original poster here. as usual thanks for all the excellent replies !!

now yee have me all confused again :think:

I had always planned on getting another diesel as I like the acceleration, mpg etc. BUT then I started reading about dpfs in modern diesels ( I will be buying a 2010 / 2011 as my next car ) and then I said to meself , right, thats the end of diesel cars for me......................based on dpf issues, my mileage per year and the fact that I almost do all start/stop city driving

also, when i mention to anyone that I do 7000 miles a year, they think I am MAD to even contemplate buying a diesel car

and petrol cars are cheaper to buy

So then I decided to go for the 1.8 tsi octavia petrol

and now after this latest thread , im re considering diesel again !!

confused, any more comments

Edited by obi604

I think you be better off in a diesel due to the fact you live in Ireland. You have a far greater choice of models etc due to the fact as most Irish people perfer diesel and if you get petrol you could be stuck with a car that no one wants when you come to sell. Also diesel is cheaper over there unlike here in Wales petrol could be as 10p cheaper than petrol which works out about £5.50 a tank compared to diesel. From reading on here dpf issues are on the pd engines so look at the newer cr engines

original poster here. as usual thanks for all the excellent replies !!

now yee have me all confused again :think:

I had always planned on getting another diesel as I like the acceleration, mpg etc. BUT then I started reading about dpfs in modern diesels ( I will be buying a 2010 / 2011 as my next car ) and then I said to meself , right, thats the end of diesel cars for me......................based on dpf issues, my mileage per year and the fact that I almost do all start/stop city driving

also, when i mention to anyone that I do 7000 miles a year, they think I am MAD to even contemplate buying a diesel car

and petrol cars are cheaper to buy

So then I decided to go for the 1.8 tsi octavia petrol

and now after this latest thread , im re considering diesel again !!

confused, any more comments

As I said above search for people in the newer 2009-2012 diesels on here having DPF issues on 2.0 CR TDi. I am in here every day and tbh I haven't seen anyone yet nothing like the older PD ones I believe DPF was moved closer to manifold too helping heat getting there quicker as well as it being able to clear itself out.

• Like 1

To be honest Vectra1, it will be this time next year, why ? ; )

I dont want to be pulled for tryng to sell on here but I will be selling my 2010 White vRS octy tdi end of September which should see it having a max of 26k kms on it.

Looked after like a baby.:)

But you won't be ready by then.

I dont want to be pulled for tryng to sell on here but I will be selling my 2010 White vRS octy tdi end of September which should see it having a max of 26k kms on it.

Looked after like a baby.:)

But you won't be ready by then.

What kinda money will ya be looking for in September for it ? Roughly

I've had a dpf fail on a CR170 that seemed to have been used around town before I bought it. And with mine, although I never had a dpf light on it often tried to do a forced regen about town. I'd go petrol.