Front tyre wear on VRS

Just been to see a good looking 2010 Octavia TDi VRS estate. Only done 15,000 miles and looks a very nice car, but I'm a tad concerned about apparent front tyres tread wear. Never owned a car with low-profile tyres, so I may be worrying about nothing. Are these cars known for excessive front wear (I've no reason to believe it's been driven maniacally!). My existing 130PD estate notches up over 50,000 miles on a set of tyres!! Grateful for any guidance.

I was about to ask the same thing as I've just swapped my conti sportcontact2's from front to back at only 7k miles. I was down to about 3mm on the fronts, although admittedly my driving style is quite 'spirited'. Even so, I was expecting a bit more wear out of them to be honest.

Anyone got experience of other tyres on their vRS's?

Edited by bongobob

I've got a fl cr estate and had 18k from the front, could have gone longer but it was the start of winter. Tyres were conti 2s and I'm not light footed. Now have conti 3s and they seem to be wearing quite well so far.

9k to 30K then, it seems - wet OR dry. Gotta be down to driving style then, it seems to me. At 72 I'm no boy-racer but do like a bit of oomph when I need it. I pull a caravan as well, so that probably defines my normal driving style!! Any advances on the 'Michelin' recommendation? I'm less interested in performance than economy (but wanna be safe as well of course). Someone out there will be asking why the hell does the old fart want to get a VRS?. Good question, and one I've been agonising over now for 2 days - but it looks a very good car and the price is right, so I've more-or-less talked myself into it! Many, many thanks for all the responses - much appreciated.</p>

9k to 30K then, it seems - wet OR dry. Gotta be down to driving style then, it seems to me. At 72 I'm no boy-racer but do like a bit of oomph when I need it. I pull a caravan as well, so that probably defines my normal driving style!! Any advances on the 'Michelin' recommendation? I'm less interested in performance than economy (but wanna be safe as well of course). Someone out there will be asking why the hell does the old fart want to get a VRS?. Good question, and one I've been agonising over now for 2 days - but it looks a very good car and the price is right, so I've more-or-less talked myself into it! Many, many thanks for all the responses - much appreciated.</p>

I am going towards old fart stage. Stop agonising. Buy yourself a VRS. It is ace.

You'll probably get as many different views on that as there are members on this forum! I don't myself altogether agree with the 4-wheel-drive argument for towing. My 130PD estate has pulled two different caravans, both 4-berth, the current one a 23 footer, and I've never experienced any problem (and get 30-32mpg towing). With 4WD you're hauling all that extra weight around - 2 diffs etc - (at the expense of mpg) for 90% of the time when you don't really need it. Now back to me VRS - decisions, decisions (I can just picture it parked in me drive-way, but I can also see me bank balance)!!!!!

Bugger, bugger, bugger, and bugger!! Got out-bid in the last 20 seconds on ebay. Now back in the market for a 2008 or later, low mileage VRS estate in red with as many bells & whistles as poss.

With 4WD you're hauling all that extra weight around - 2 diffs etc - (at the expense of mpg) for 90% of the time when you don't really need it.

If weight is your problem, go for the petrol version, it's 135kg lighter.

90% of the time don't take into account wet conditions also.

Never had wheel spin in mine, even on wet slipways!