Why no 'BlueMotion' type engines?

Hi folks

As a company car driver, the CO2 emissions is a big factor in choosing a new car.

I’ve had an Octy vRS diesel as a company car in the past, and after a couple of years on the dark side with a 3 series, I’m considering returning to the fold and getting another vRS..

Looking at emissions though, the Passat 170 PS BlueMotion is only 123g/km where as the Octy 170 vRS diesel is 149g. This makes the BIK value several points higher.

Anyone know if Skoda have any plans to refresh the engine range of the Octys with these newer lower emission engines? Or are their attentions just focused on the next generation Octavia?

Cheers

Ade

Yeah, but the Greenline is hardly comparable to a 170bhp 2.0 Passat... same technology, except VW fit it across the range and not just to a single derivative.

I read somewhere that the Octavia 3 will get it across more vehicles. This could have been pure speculation, but the need to lower the average CO2 of a manufacturer's range may well drive such things (as well as the loss of spare wheels, or making anything more than the driver's seat an optional extra...)

its not just the engine to get that figure, its probably exactly the same engine... but the blumotion will have extra aerodynamics to reduce drag, low rolling resistance tyres, higher gearing in the gearbox ect ect ect , thats why the emmisions are less... not the engine ;)

I think it's a way of keeping costs down by restricting the options in the Skoda range-the Bluemotion technology in VW cars is available as either the whole hog -smaller engine, higher gearing, aero stuff and low rolling resistance tyres or pretty much a standard car with start-stop system, obviously the car with the start-stop system will have lower emissions than the one with out of an otherwise identical spec. I'm sure that in the very near future pretty much all cars will end up having start-stop systems.