Yeti Greenline - long gearing - what does it mean?

frglee

First of all, apologies for the paltry number of posts. I've still got three months to go before I can order my Yeti so I haven't really been in a position to make any positive contribution to the forum.

So far it looks like I'm going be ordering the Greenline Il because of the lower fuel consumption and cheaper road tax ( and cheaper tyres! ). I've seen a few mentions that the Greenline has "long gearing", am I right in saying that this means they are high geared?

The reason I ask is that we tow a small, two berth caravan ( 975kg or so ) about six times a year and I wouldn't want to have to be doing a lot of clutch-slipping when reversing onto a pitch or struggling to set off up a hill.

If anyone has experience of towing a caravan with a Yeti Greenline any comments would be much appreciated,

Regards, Lee.

Long gearing means it has higher gears.

however, i can say that the lower gears don't appeared to be that highly geared as it pulls away pretty smartish

The high gears are not that long as at 70 in fifth I'm close or over 2300 revs which is bad for the fuel consumption on my greenline

But we have found that if you keep under 2000 revs it seems pretty economical as 2000 revs seems to be the magic level where it changes so if were just plodding along or got no reason to boot it we sit at 65 as this keeps it just under 2000 and we get 58-62 mpg on the flat

• Like 1

Hello Rich?

Thank You for your very quick reply.Yes, I thought it must mean they are higher geared ( but I thought I'd better check! ) I was starting to veer towards one of the 2.0 litre models

but you've brought me back on track again.

Three days to go for your Elegance? blimey! - it'll feel like three months :)

Best Wishes, Lee.

And Thank You Yetigreenline2 - we must have been typing at the same time!

At 70 in 5th gear my current car is doing 3000 revs so the Greenlines are not too high geared then.

Best Wishes, Lee.

Edited by frglee

And Thank You Yetigreenline2 - we must have been typing at the same time!

At 70 in 5th gear my current car is doing 3000 revs so the Greenlines are not too high geared then.

Best Wishes, Lee.

In comparison, 70mph in my 170 CR 2 litre diesel 4x4 Yeti is only 2100rpm in top gear (6th).

In comparison, 70mph in my 170 CR 2 litre diesel 4x4 Yeti is only 2100rpm in top gear (6th).

Yeah i wish the green lines had a 6 gear as it makes so much sense i had 6 in my GT TDI golf and that was very good on fuel and nearly all the time when i get up to 70 in the yeti i go to put it in 6th and then have to stop before i put it in reverse lol

Yeah i wish the green lines had a 6 gear as it makes so much sense i had 6 in my GT TDI golf and that was very good on fuel and nearly all the time when i get up to 70 in the yeti i go to put it in 6th and then have to stop before i put it in reverse lol

+1 sixth gear woulld make a big difference to the Greenline but for some reason Skoda don't think the same way.

+1 sixth gear woulld make a big difference to the Greenline but for some reason Skoda don't think the same way.

It's probably due to weight, or the fact that because you are forever changing gear you are more likely to use the wrong one for peak efficiency. :D

In some ways I prefer the 5 speed.

It's probably due to weight, or the fact that because you are forever changing gear you are more likely to use the wrong one for peak efficiency. :D

In some ways I prefer the 5 speed.

The green line is a bit weird on what it thinks is efficient gear selection on going along normally as soon as i pass 1500 revs it tells me to change up and if did at that point the car would more than likely stall with such low revs on the gear your in

The green line is a bit weird on what it thinks is efficient gear selection on going along normally as soon as i pass 1500 revs it tells me to change up and if did at that point the car would more than likely stall with such low revs on the gear your in

Yes, it makes no allowance for gradient or load. So unless you are coasting along or going downhill it'll give worse economy if you follow the prompts.

It's not just a Greenline-ism. My 170 is the same. As was my Fabia I just chopped in.

It looks like I've started something here :)

Thank you for all your interesting comments. It looks like the Greenline has forged ahead again as the model I am going to go for.

As an aside but still on the subject of gears. I've read somewhere in the forum that it's possible to specify 16 inch wheels for Yetis other

than the Greenline. Wouldn't that have the effect of lowering the gearing?

Regards, Lee.

It looks like I've started something here :)

Thank you for all your interesting comments. It looks like the Greenline has forged ahead again as the model I am going to go for.

As an aside but still on the subject of gears. I've read somewhere in the forum that it's possible to specify 16 inch wheels for Yetis other

than the Greenline. Wouldn't that have the effect of lowering the gearing?

Regards, Lee.

No,the opposite actually.

The 215/60/16"wheels on non-Greenline Yetis, have a slightly greater circumference than the 225/50/17" wheels.

The greenline has 205/55/16" wheels as standard which are smaller in circumference.

• Like 1

My CR140DSG will pull 5th from about 1000rpm and 6th as well, but it isn't standard..... :rofl:

I am amazed at the inclines it will go up just over tickover without changing up of it's own accord.

70mph is also around the 2100rpm mark, maybe slightly over - I can't remember the last time I managed to drive in London over 30mph :sweat:

One suspects that this is down to VAG internal politics. Yes, 6-speed boxes would probably ideal but then VW would sell fewer VWs and more Skodas and the VWs make them more money. The ideal Yeti engine in my opinion would be the 1.6 TDI without the 'greenline' malarky ie no messed up gearing and lower ride hight affecting the comfort (I assume, have not tried one!). I had this very converstation at a VW dealership the other day when having a test drive in a Golf Plus 1.6 TDI which was very nice. If the Yeti had that engine with no other restrictions VW would I suggested sell far fewer Golf Pluses and Tourans!

Edited by warley

Thank you for your information about the 16 inch wheels ian.

In my innocence I assumed that the same size wheels and tyres as fitted to the Greenline would be used.

Sooo, if the Greenline is turning over at 2300rpm in 5th gear and the 2.0 litre models are doing 2100rpm in 6th gear then

there ain't a lot in it ?

it's me that's harping on about buying a Yeti ( my Wife's not convinced ) so I've got to get it right :whew:

Regards, Lee.

Thank you for your information about the 16 inch wheels ian.

In my innocence I assumed that the same size wheels and tyres as fitted to the Greenline would be used.

Sooo, if the Greenline is turning over at 2300rpm in 5th gear and the 2.0 litre models are doing 2100rpm in 6th gear then

there ain't a lot in it ?

it's me that's harping on about buying a Yeti ( my Wife's not convinced ) so I've got to get it right :whew:

Regards, Lee.

So buy a CR140 or CR170, as the higher torque will suit your towing needs, to get the longer 6th gear and then fit Eibach pro-kit lowering springs.

These will lower the car by 38mm front and 29mm rear (eibach's figures) which is more than twice the 'drop' of the Greenline suspension (about 10mm IIRC) which has I'm sure a noticeable effect on the aerodynamics, particularly at Motorway speeds. I do about 75% of my weekly motoring on the Motorway and I'm fairly sure (unscientifically) that I am getting around 2mpg better than before.

PS> Eibachs will give you better, more controlled handling as well; but no need to tell SWMBO this. :giggle:

So buy a CR140 or CR170, as the higher torque will suit your towing needs

Therein lies my dilemma. The CR140 would be more suitable for towing than the Greenline ( and my heart says owning a 4x4 Yeti would be nice :) ) but it would only tow the caravan perhaps half a dozen times a year. On the other hand my head - the one on my shoulders and SWMBO! - says the prospect of thirty pounds a year road tax, a lower insurance group and around 60mpg has a strong appeal too.

Can i ask do you tow the said Caravan with the Astra in you profile? If you do how well does that tow and what is the tow limit on that car?

I woudl guess that if you tow with that car it won't be any worse in the Greenline Yeti.

I hope this isn't wandering to far off the subject of long gears.

I woudl guess that if you tow with that car it won't be any worse in the Greenline Yeti.

You've hit the nail on the head there and is what I want to find out. My Astra is 12 years old now and has done 120,000 miles and the repair bills are mounting up! but it tows our small caravan reasonably well. The problem is, the fuel consumption at least doubles - something like 15mpg which is a shame as that is what is limiting our outings in the caravan at the moment. At 950kg the caravan is within the recommended 85% towing weight and well within the Astra's maximum limit

I have a theory that if the Greenline will do 60mpg solo then even if the fuel consumption doubles when towing it will still do 30mpg but I'm probably way off the mark there.

Edited by frglee

My Yeti returned 25mpg keeping to the 60mph speed limit, even up steep hills......

So I would expect the greenline with about 75bhp less than mine to be slightly better......or may be slightly worse... :rofl:

I'd guess that you won't be far off the mark. if you half the fuel consumption. But without anyone having towed a caravan with the Greenline I'm not sure you'll be able to get a definate answer.

I've only ever towed large trailers with my previous cars Vectra estate 1.9 diesel and Ford mondeo 1.8 diesel. Fully laden they took about 10 mpg off. so if you factored in 15-20mpg off for a caravan you will be in the ball park.

Remember to take off 10% off the quoted MPG to start with to get closer to real world figures. So 30mpg will be about right.