Citigo automated transmission

rockhopper

This sounds like a great little car but as somebody who can't see the point of manuals around cities, nor will I drive one for medical reasons, like the sound of this automated transmission.

What I would like to know is will the automated versions feature stop start technology and have the greentec technology as well.

Hope it's far superior to the the automated manual offerings from Honda (i-Shift) & Toyota (MMT). Although just about acceptable in sequential mode, quite nasty & jerky in full auto mode. In the case of Honda, their i-Shift is now defunct, the Jazz's history going from CVT to i-Shift and now back to CVT. The current shape Civic from i-Shift back to a normal torque converted auto. Toyota in the case of the Yaris have dumped the MMT transmission in favour of CVT. All backward steps.. The Toyota Auris currently remains available with MMT but does anyone actually buy it ?

Hope it's far superior to the the automated manual offerings from Honda (i-Shift) & Toyota (MMT). Although just about acceptable in sequential mode, quite nasty & jerky in full auto mode. In the case of Honda, their i-Shift is now defunct, the Jazz's history going from CVT to i-Shift and now back to CVT. The current shape Civic from i-Shift back to a normal torque converted auto. Toyota in the case of the Yaris have dumped the MMT transmission in favour of CVT. All backward steps.. The Toyota Auris currently remains available with MMT but does anyone actually buy it ?

I cant dive the fiat ambo in auto mode, its too annoying, it changes at the most impossible times, giving a least a seconds pause, and "hunts" up and down...

I drive it in sequential (manual) all the time, at least then I am expecting the "lurch" and it doesn't happen when I want power!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone any further knowledge on the type of automatic gearbox fitted in the Citigo? The website is unhelpful on the point. Just says 'Automatic' gearbox

And anyone know if ... any/most/only recent posh ..... mobile Bluetooth equipped phones work with the Bluetooth offered in the Citigo? Never used any Bluetooth stuff fitted to a car - but my phone does mate up with the Jabra Bluetooth earpiece I have.

Anyone any further knowledge on the type of automatic gearbox fitted in the Citigo? The website is unhelpful on the point. Just says 'Automatic' gearbox

And anyone know if ... any/most/only recent posh ..... mobile Bluetooth equipped phones work with the Bluetooth offered in the Citigo? Never used any Bluetooth stuff fitted to a car - but my phone does mate up with the Jabra Bluetooth earpiece I have.

Yes it is a crappy single clutch box that is going to be replaced by a DSG they are developing.

Motor journalist reports say it has all the characteristics of a single clutch gearbox ie slow to change, jerky generally horrible and to be avoided and wait until the proper auto is out or get the manual or get a Fabia DSG as a stop gap.

Edited by lol

Yes it is a crappy single clutch box that is going to be replaced by a DSG they are developing.

Motor journalist reports say it has all the characteristics of a single clutch gearbox ie slow to change, jerky generally horrible and to be avoided and wait until the proper auto is out or get the manual or get a Fabia DSG as a stop gap.

Thanks for reply.

Here's another opinion of the new VAG robotised manual :-

"There's even a new option of a five-speed automatic gearbox, though fans of the firm's excellent DSG transmission will be disappointed, as its weight and cost mean it's left off the options list. Which is a shame, as the robotised manual offered in its place is neither as smooth nor as quick-witted. Each ratio change is accompanied by a serious slack in acceleration".

Also a mention of it here:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY6wSOvh-cw

Looks as though it will be another jerky affair - Honda's defunct and unloved i-Shift / Toyota's MMT. spring to mind

Oh dear.

Edited by Bassa

• 5 weeks later...

That's a shame, as we were quite interested in the auto option. :(

We'll still go ahead and try to book a test drive in an auto - you don't really know until you've tried it yourself (and I have an inherent distrust of anything I read in the motoring rags).

Is there a realistic chance of the DSG box going into the Citigo? I would have thought it would be too big & heavy for a city car.

That's a shame, as we were quite interested in the auto option. :(

We'll still go ahead and try to book a test drive in an auto - you don't really know until you've tried it yourself (and I have an inherent distrust of anything I read in the motoring rags).

Is there a realistic chance of the DSG box going into the Citigo? I would have thought it would be too big & heavy for a city car.

There are of course two types of DSG within the VAG Group, a wet type and a dry type, the latter being the lighter. Thought I read some where that a special lighter one was being developed for the Up/Citigo/Mii - or was I dreaming ? :zzz:

Single clutch automated manuals are awful in my opinion. A friend of mine had a Yaris with one fitted and he got rid of it after a month as the change was so abysmal. If you want an auto you'd best save up a bit for a fabia 1.2 tsi dsg (the dsg box is amazing if a little hesitant from rest)

70 mpg I defy anyone to actually get that in the real world.

I would predict 55mpg if youre really lucky

Around congested South London you'll be lucky to get 55.

One of my clients I saw the other day has I think a Hyundai Atoz 1.0 auto. It does about 20mpg he says :lol: his Daimler does more.

Wife of mine will be going for the auto option Citigo. She is used to a Smart with its jerky transmission and so any improvement on that will be welcome. As it has been said, the idea of a city car with a manual gearbox is somewhat ludicrous.

• 3 weeks later...

I have and will keep for ever a 2006 Kia Picanto 1.1 LX Automatic which was bought new and has only done 22,000 miles and

has never been given an easy life, (even done Autotests on its original tyres/wheels)

still looks like new.. (silver)

Fantasitc revvy engine and a very good 4 speed automatic that has an Over Drive Button.

It runs on Snow tyres all year around and handles like an Original mini.

A ball of fire that has excellent disc brakes all round.

Its only had & needed oil and filters, discs skimmed & spark plugs in 6 years

It has never done below 40mpg, even being driven round a small town, does around 48 mpg on a run being driven hard.

*went to look at the new Kia Picanto Automatic and decided that it drove the same as mine and felt a bit cheaper,

did not like the fact the discs on the new car was sitting already with surface rust, so decided the older one would stay and save spending 12 grand.*

I can not see that a Citigo, Up! or Mii will surpass a Picanto

or a New Fiat Panda as Automatic gearbox cars, once the Panda is sorted out).

Loved my 1.0 iQ Multidrive's (CVT) x2

Best gearbox i have used since 1977 when i had to start driving Automaics (2 pedal driving for having only 1 foot),

and i have tried every type of auto, semi auto, Auto Clutch Citroens, CVT Daf and Volvo 343 etc.

Never dropped below 40 mpg around town from cold or short journeys or driven hard .

50 mpg was easy, 55 mpg from time to time on longer trips driving very easy & 60 mpg when hypermiling.

Everyone should try a Multidrive iQ or iQ2 once in their life.

Fantastic car with room for 2 and like driving a Go Kart.

I would not bother with the iQ3 (1300cc)

george

Edited by sk4gw