Brake upgrade

Forgive me for not knowing for sure, but I am assuming the standard front disc's on the vRS are 312mm, so what is the logically next step for upgrading the vRS front brakes? LCR brembos?? Or does the mk4 R32 have bigger discs?

yes lcr or brembo gt kit is the logical choice for upgrading to from the vrs 312mm setup. They are 323mm in size, using the lcr discs with a 4 pot caliper that has been designed to work with the octy master cylinder. The cost of these kits £400-500, and more importantly the performance), especially when fitted with some decent fast road pads (like ferodo ds2500) makes these a far more sensible choice than some of the fancy 6/8 pot setups out there that just dont work as well (as are not matched to the master cylinder).

If your really want a decent setup, convert to a godspeed/badger bill/comp brake bell and rotor 325(ish)mm 2 piece disc and rotor setup (to compliment the LCR kit). However for normal fast road setup this is overkill and not required imo.

cant re-edit my post.....damn new site!

iirc r32 are 345mm however are a 2 pot caliper and are much heavier than the ally brembos, they also cost a fortune to replace the discs, compared to standard LCR discs.

BRembos mate.

5mm spacers needed for the spiders to fit too and iirc minimum 17" needed.

Awesome brake setup imo but even the std stuff is good with good pads and discs. I went back to std setup forf winter as I didnt want to run spacers and I was very impressed with them. Not a patch on the LCR Brembos tho lol.

Thanks for the replies chaps, I'm only enquiring for a friend who went to stage 1 with his vRS last night and after less than 24 hours running it, he feels the brakes are not entirely adequate!! Personally I think if he changed the pads they would be fine as the discs are the same diameter as on the mk2, my OE set up was fine running stage 1.

iirc r32 are 345mm however are a 2 pot caliper and are much heavier than the ally brembos, they also cost a fortune to replace the discs, compared to standard LCR discs.

I didn't realise the mk4 R32 ran 345mm discs, unless you mean the mk5? I have S3 fronts on my vRS, they are only a single piston but it's approximately 12ft in diameter which makes the brakes very snatchy to start with, but my god does it stop now!!! A definite requirement for stage 2 (260bhp). :devil:

I am also thinking at a small upgrade. It's either Ate Power Discs with Ate Ceramic Pads or Brembo Max discs with Ferodo DS2500 pads. I will also upgrade to MOTUL RBF 600 brake fluid and GOODRIDGE brake lines.

I am not decided yet as i would love me some lcr brembos:)

LOL

WoW now that was a surprise. I had been up for 35 hours at that point and it just poped into my head.

The contact area is bigger on them too isnt it over the LCR brembo? The one good thing with them tho is you might not need spacers and would they fit under the 17" spiders?

Whats the crack tho with the new brakes? they look like the are this "floating calliper" Why are the new S3 (mk5 type) cars not coming with like 4 pot brembos? Are the new versions better than the callipers we have?

Hope that makes sence.

billy

Single Piston Floating Calipers are the most popular and also least costly to manufacture and service. A floating caliper "floats" or moves in a track in its support so that it can center itself over the rotor. As you apply brake pressure' date=' the hydraulic fluid pushes in two directions. It forces the piston against the inner pad, which in turn pushes against the rotor. It also pushes the caliper in the opposite direction against the outer pad, pressing it against the other side of the rotor. Floating calipers are also available on some vehicles with two pistons mounted on the same side. Two piston floating calipers are found on more expensive cars and can provide an improved braking "feel".

Four Piston Fixed Calipers are mounted rigidly to the support and are not allowed to move. Instead, there are two pistons on each side that press the pads against the rotor. Four piston calipers have a better feel and are more efficient, but are more expensive to produce and cost more to service. This type of caliper is usually found on more expensive luxury and high performance cars.

Brake_Caliper.gif

A Short Course on Brakes

• Like 1

Cheers mate.

I know the differences in working but have the new floating ones on newer cars been improved. as the s3 and other fast cars have floatin ones and you would of thought they would of gone for better brakes?

The newer gen car progressively have bigger brakes in terms of improve hydraulic system, larger size of caliper for bigger pad, bigger disks to allow for more mechanical force on the disk.

R32 stock brakes sizes are now common place on the mk.5 + mk.6 platforms.

Brembo style calipers require much more manual manufacturing than the cast single piston type, and where everything is down to unit cost, you can see why they've been chosen.