Which of these would you buy?

Hi,

Im just about to upgrade from the old metro to something a bit more sporty. Everyone i speak to has said that the Frabia vRS i an amazing car so i think i might give one a go.

I've found three local to me but cant choose between them.

They are all the 1.9 diesel vRS model,

2007 vRS special, Blue, 47,500 miles, £6,495

2006, Silver, 48,000 miles, £6,500

2005, Silver, 26,500 miles, £6,995

The special edition isn't from a approved skoda dealer but the other two are. It also looks like it needs a clean although i cant see any damage in the pics.

Which would you be tempted to go for?

Many thanks,

Dan

Edited by dany2010

Thanks your your fast responses.

Yeah, like the look of the SE but unsure why its so cheap, puts me of a little. The 05 looks appealing as well, its probably done town driving. How do these cope with this as its not as easy on the car is it?

Will be hoping to own for 5-6 years.

Edited by dany2010

Mileage is largely irrelevant, given the age whoever purchased any of them clearly didn't do enough mileage to make any kind of saving based on fuel selection so they probably purchased it for the vRS badge. That being the case it all comes down to physical condition, paperwork, options and personal preference. I'd take approved used warranty over standard trade warranty any day but that's just me. Also remember the dealers have room to haggle, irrespective of the low miles on the 05 it's over priced in relation to the 06 everything else being equal.

Indeed as Matt says don't go by miles....mines done 90k but I wouldn't swap it for another that had done 50k or less

I know where its been, know of any faults (next to none), and know how it gets driven, generally like motorway miles mostly cruising not thrashing up and down the gears from still.

If they are of similar condition I'd go for the SE.

Even if the others are at an approved garage they are still 6 year old cars, so I doubt they'll be backed by a good free warranty.

Plus the SE seats are easier to live with IMO over the white cloth ones.

Thanks for you answers so far.

Looks like the SE version has gone now. Couldnt get up there before the weekend unfortunatly. It was number 107.

These are the two left, the are within 100 miles and under 60k miles on the clock which is what im looking for:

http://www.autotrade...s/100?logcode=p

http://www.autotrade...s/100?logcode=p

Am going to give Meadens a call tomorrow to see if its got a service history.

Edit: Sorry if this is cosidered swearing in the skoda forum but how do the above compare with the astra?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201209453253792/sort/priceasc/usedcars/fuel-type/diesel/seller-type/trade_adverts/maximum-age/up_to_5_years_old/engine-size-cars/1-7l_to_1-9l/quantity-of-doors/3/maximum-mileage/up_to_60000_miles/model/astra/make/vauxhall/radius/60/postcode/po169nu/page/1?logcode=p

or

www.motorparks.co.uk/jsp/index.jsp?regno=YG55JFJ&lnk=311&desc=Vauxhall%20Astra%201.9%20CDTi%2016V%20SRi%20%5B150%5D%205dr%20%5BExterior%20Pack%5D%20Diesel%20Hatchback%20(2005)&postcode=po16%209nu&make=Vauxhall&model=Astra&fuel=Diesel&orderby=0

Edited by dany2010

Ahh not an Astra!! Surely too common?

Go for one with a full Skoda History if possible. Mine was owned by a 60 year old chap who used to drop it off for service and say "do what's needed & only call me when it's ready".

Hence it still feels very tight despite just turning 6 last week.

An approved used warranty is useful for ironing out niggly faults if any haven't been rectified & you don't fancy a DIY job e.g. rear door seals.

On a serious note with the Astra, i'm sure a back to back test drive will help you make a decision :)

• Like 1

The 06 with 48k on the clock sounds overpriced to me at £6500; I got mine a year ago, black 55 plate with 46k and FDSH (cam belt and rear discs done too) for £5,500 from an independent. Mine had a CD changer, paintwork damage on bonnet from bird guano, a small crack in one of the mirror casings and some corrosion on front alloys; otherwise perfect.

Anyway, both of the remaining silver Fabia's sound fine to me other than price. For this age and mileage you need to make sure the cambelts been done, as it will be due, if not overdue. I'm not sure about that green paint on the front bumper :S and I do wonder if that and the extra badges might be indicative of some amateur "molesting" as the trade likes to call it.

As for the Astra, I seriously considered one but I never took a test drive because the horror stories about the DMF scared me off. That 150 bhp CDTi unit is well known for eating DMFs at regular intervals between about 40 and 60k mi. They're over £600 to replace as they come complete with a clutch. Outside of the 3 door looks nice and rakish (if common) but I prefer the Furby's interior in both looks and build quality. I'd expect the Astra to drive a bit better, having more poke and a firmer suspension setup, but as I say I didn't test drive one. If you do drive them back to back, let me now how you get on I want to know what I did or didn't miss out on!

Edited by ckyliu

I commented after the first lot of links were removed. Approved used warranty is from a franchise dealer and is as good as it gets outside manufacturer warranty, having looked at the latest links neither of those is a franchise dealer so it's a moot point. If you're some sort of plastic/squeaky noise fetishist and enjoy cursing whoever designed the indicator stalk every time you use it then buy the Astra.

Is that the one at Sparshatts?

One of their guys races a 700bhp evo so they should know a decent car if they see it!

The pictures on autotrader show it with green painted bits in the front bumper

HF06CZU_large.jpg

(and a smiley goon in the drivers seat :D)

HF06CZU_large1.jpg

Not sure what that tells you but coudl have been ownded by a modder of some description

Yep, that's the one. :) yeah noticed the guy sitting in it.

There isn't another within 100 miles of me that has under 60k miles and not pre 05.

Would you buy or would you wait looking at just the pics? Have always been told to avoid cars with mods. Can't see anything obvious apart from the green bits, could be remapped but the rest looks standard

As you can probably tell I can drive a car but don't go much further. Taking a neighbour to give me a hand.

Edited by dany2010

Have you tried looking for other sources of cars eg Pistonheads and dare I say it eBay, might just increase then number of local cars available. You want to avoid the mindset of I want a Vrs and it's the only one, so I'll have this one.

Beware eBay though as it can be a bit of a clearing house, make sure you inspect before bidding. Oh and any reason why your only interested in low mileage, being diesel most will have a few miles on now as long as they are well maintained it shouldn't be a problem.

Having looked again there are also extra vrs badges above the bump strips on the front doors so someone has definitely been having a play.

Although of course it could just be that a bit of green paint and ebay badges are as far as the modding has gone.

If it's history checks out and it's been properly manitained theres no reason it's not a good buy

Being an Ex furby vRS owner, I would say the same as everyone else,

1) drive it,

2) check out service history, MOT etc

3) Make sure it has had a cam belt / water pump change BEFORE you take it.

4) check that the mods are just dressing,

6) Check out you can afford insurance

5) Most importantly, if your heart says take it, but you have any slight gut or brain niggle - Walk Away, there will be other cars.

Some dealers are asking silly money for cars - eg:

http://www.skoda.net...px?id=602395120

Very late Silver - but seemingly standard otherwise - on 43,278 - and they're asking £8,495 !

An SE recently sold privately on eBay for £6712 (I think - it's now disappeared from my Watch List). I thought that a good result for the seller.

I'd like a Yeti - in fact I was looking for one when I "inadvertently" bought the SE - but they're REALLY silly money. The local dealer has 4 secondhand but the cheapest is £19,950!

Edited by DRJ

2004 vRS

http://www.progressskoda.co.uk/Used-Car-Details/used-skoda-fabia-19-td-vrs-hatchback-diamond-silver-metallic-manual-diesel-ID_1968601602428203.aspx

Such a long way to go though. Wish I could have gone last week as there were a few.

Only really want to buy from traders as there should be slightly less risk. Problem is that I don't know what's standard and what's not.