vRS diesel engine cut out (not injectors)

Hi all,

I've had two occurrences of a problem in similar circumstances.

On both occasions the car had been driven for over an hour before approaching a roundabout where I slowed down with clutch down and brakes applied. Both times the engine stopped, with the only dashboard indication being the battery lamp. Each time the engine restarted first time and the car gave no subsequent problems. The fuel tank was over half-full each time.

Note the two occasions were a couple of months (and several thousand miles) apart.

The car is a '57 plate I've had from new, done 49K miles and had all four injectors replaced last year (a good 4-5 months before the new problem first happened).

The long-term service is due in a couple of thousand miles so I was thinking to put it in early and ask them about this problem, but I'm not sure what to ask them to check.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Ta,

Jon.

hi jon

this might be your problem.

bill

Idle Air Control Valve

Idle-Air-Control-Valve.jpg

The Idle Air Control Valve (IACV), or stepper motor, allows the electronic control unit (ECU) to regulate the airflow to the engine independently of the driver's throttle input.

Failures

A fault with the idle air control valve can cause your car to cut out or stall at junctions, run rough when at idle or increase your fuel consumption.

How we can help!

We can help by providing you with a high quality but competitively priced replacement aftermarket part for your

Your DPF was in the middle of a regen.

I also have a 57 vRS, mine too has done 42,000 miles and I had my injectors replaced back in November.

Mine has also cut out a couple of times since the injector change. For some reason the DPF becomes much more active immediately after the injector change for a few months then eventually calms down.

It cut out twice in two months at exactly the same point of my commute, pulling off a dual carriageway up a slip road, dipping the clutch to give way onto a roundabout. The first I knew the battery light was on and the steering went heavy. Restarted straight away.

I don't know why it does it, the DPF requires more fuel during a regen and also alters the engine speed. It'll stop once the regens calm down.

Mine has done exactly the same since the injectors where replaced. Twice in the first few weeks after replacement.

Touch wood it's not done it since and won't happen again,

It's funny ye mention this, the wife just rang me saying the car cut out at a roundabout and she had battery light on and had to restart it!

My injectors were done over 2k ago, is this normal and will it happen again?

I wouldn't say its normal but it certainly seems quite common and appears to be linked to the injector change.

Mine cut out twice within the first two months / 5,000 miles and has not done it again since.

As long as your vRS continues to regnerate it's DPF then there is every chance it could happen again.

It was prob just starting a regen when she stopped so just bad timing I'd say, it seems to be less frequent tho as the new injectors bed in for most people, hopefully it was just a once off ;)

Thanks for the numerous replies folks.

What happens during a DPF regen that would cause the engine to stop? It seems counter-intuitive if the aim is to increase exhaust temperature, I'd assume the fuel supply would be increased, which would reduce the chance of stalling? - unless it results in the engine being flooded if you suddenly change from high engine speed (+ extra fuel for DPF) to low engine speed, combined with additional load due to braking?