Alternative Tyres for Scout Alloys

I've just taken off the winter tyres and steelies, for the summer tyres and alloys. I will be needing to replace all four summer tyres in the near future as the tread is nearing the minimum legal amount.

The tyres size are 225/50/17. As these are an odd size, does anyone have any recommendations for different tyre sizes that would fit the original skoda scout alloys?

I've had a search through the forum for alternative tyre sizes and not really found any clear answer......

Cheers in advance.

In years past we've had plenty of snow in April up in the Peak District. Sorry, no advice on alternative tyres except to look in your handbook or on the fuel filler flap for other sizes offered.

Edited by gregoir
  • Like 1

You could consider dropping to a more popular 225/45/17. Check:

http://www.kouki.co.uk/utilities/visual-tyre-size-calculator

This tyre size is fitted to other 17" wheels in the Octy range. It obviously adjusts your rolling radius slightly, but the speedo accuracy is still within a good degree of accuracy.

Also to bear in mind - reduces your ground clearance to the same as a regular Octy 4x4 if you go for the standard 225/45/17 or 205/55/16 sizes.

The extra 15mm between the Scout and 4x4 doesn't come from longer suspension, simply, slightly bigger wheels!!

Niall

I've had good experience with Event Mobile Tyres and their website is good, along with ETyres, for looking at alternatives.

I'm looking to replace my Dunlop SP01s. They've been pretty good I think, but would consider Bridgestone Dueler, Conti Sport Contact, or Michelin Primacy. Don't fancy Pirelli based on reviews on this forum.

Yes, the Scout's tyre size is pretty uncommon, however the chunky tyres complete the rugged look for me so I wouldn't want lower profile tyres.

I replaced the original Dunlop SP01's with another set of Dunlops for £120 a corner. I got 28,000 miles out of the original set and they offer plenty of protection for the alloys against kerbs etc.

At the risk of being shot down, I put some Maxxis Victra MAZ 4S on my wife's car over winter as I didn't want to risk her damaging the OE 19“ wheels. Although sceptical, they've performed OK and have remained grippy in the cold. Their pattern isn't typical of a 4 season tyre, and they don't appear in that category on the mytyres website - you'll find them under "summer" for about £80. Maxxis's website does however confirm their 4 season qualities. I'll be fitting some to the Scout when my Dunlops run out, so that they can stay on until we get a proper snowy winter again.

Maxxis I would consider. Good to hear you've had a positive experience.

They have a very good reputation in other areas, particularly bicycle tyres. They also support the British Drift Championship which should bode well - although perhaps not for long-term wear ;)

• 1 month later...

Just bought a set of Maxxis for £350 in case of terminal puncture to my Dunlops as they're quite low now, and I wanted something for my dealer to fit when I show them the latest Proteus warranty claim. Don't forget there are options available in 225/55 17 e.g. Pirelli P6 Allroad. ( My Goodyears fitted with a radius of about 1mm less than this but they are 245s so clearance shouldn't be an issue.)I would perhaps have chosen that size but the Proteus wheels and 50 profile tyres will be perfect for my wife's TT next winter - I just haven't told her yet!

225/55/17 will get pretty close to touching the wheel arch bumper, here is a pic from some russian forum. The clearance to the arch is minimal. I stuck with oem size when I changed Conti sportContact 5.

2bdymh.jpg

Edited by CEPi

225/55/17 will get pretty close to touching the wheel arch bumper, here is a pic from some russian forum. The clearance to the arch is minimal. I stuck with oem size when I changed Conti sportContact 5.

2bdymh.jpg

Yes. With my 245/45 18s there was barely enough room to get my little finger between the front of the wheel arch and the tyre when turned. But 225/55s obviously have 10mm more lateral room each side and the extra 1mm radius shouldn't catch. I haven't done the maths on it, but I'd be confident enough to put them on mine as I don't drive it like the "General Lee".

• 1 month later...