Yeti Greenline - First Impressions

stripey

I have to say that I am impressed to begin with - I picked the car up at 08:30 yesterday in Reading with 8 miles on the clock and then drove to Bristol at a steady 60 (80 ish miles) and then drove back later at a steady 70 (115 miles) cruise control where possible.

The Maxidot mpg (yes I know real world is much lower) displayed 65.7mpg when I arrived home... mainly motorway with some country roads at my end and traffic as well... not too shabby!

The engine is a bit slow to respond when overtaking the slower cars on the motorway but very smooth compared to the 1.8 diesel Mondeo I had until yesterday. I am sure it will loosen up.

My first ever new car and it's nice to have it... I was going to attach a photo but for some reason I am already over my global upload quota?

I have to say that I am impressed to begin with - I picked the car up at 08:30 yesterday in Reading with 8 miles on the clock and then drove to Bristol at a steady 60 (80 ish miles) and then drove back later at a steady 70 (115 miles) cruise control where possible.

The Maxidot mpg (yes I know real world is much lower) displayed 65.7mpg when I arrived home... mainly motorway with some country roads at my end and traffic as well... not too shabby!

The engine is a bit slow to respond when overtaking the slower cars on the motorway but very smooth compared to the 1.8 diesel Mondeo I had until yesterday. I am sure it will loosen up.

My first ever new car and it's nice to have it... I was going to attach a photo but for some reason I am already over my global upload quota?

Well I'm now into day 6 of my Greenline experience and i'm loving it. I also came from a 1.8 Diesel Mondeo as so far it a much better machine than the Mondeo. The ride is deffinately better.

I've done a little over 500 miles so far and filled up when I had done 200 odd miles but i've only managed to achieve 48 mpg (see signature) which I'm a little dissapointed about, however i believe that this will be a combination of a couple of things. 1 the dealer drove it 140 miles to me as their delivery truck broke down (don't ask) 2. My wife has a heavy right foot and has driven it a few times already 2. i was in liverpool on Saturday so lots of stop start traffic.

One thing that did surprise me was that on a 200 mile round trip to Nottingham yesterday travelling at 66mph (GPS speed) 70mph on the speedo using crusie control, I only managed to achieved 51mpg on the maxidot. So i'm guessing about 48mpg. I was surprised about this and would have thought that this should have been better. As the engine beds in I'm hoping to get increased MPG.

The Stop/Start is great and hasn't yet not stopped and started.

The seats are comfortable the driving position is superb and the most important thing my 5yr old daughter loves her 3ft Plush Yeti (named Borris)

I'm off to Dunstable tomorrow and stourport on severn on Friday so another 500 odd miles will be put on Betty so she will have done over a 1000 miles in a week.

This is just the start of a 4 year love affiar with Betty :love:

Edited by Big Rich

I will have had my Greenline 2 weeks tomorrow and also loving it. I don't notice any difference in the engine between the 1.9 TDi Golf I had for 3 years and my Yeti. The only thing I notice it the mpg display constantly jumps from between 200mpg down to 20mpg even when I am doing a steady speed. Everything else is brilliant especially the heated seats, bluetooth for my mobile, stop/start and the touch screen radio/media player especially the ability to use a SD card for music.

Stripey and BigRich - although your fuel consumption doesn't seem to be nearing the 'book', as BossFox mentioned the Maxidot is a little kind anyway but also the engine is new and does need to loosen up. The ball park mileage seems to be around 10k + until you strat to notice a big difference. And a heavy right foot doesn't help :giggle:

Thanks Lee, look forward to the increase in MPG over the next 10 years.

I've just driven from Shropshire to Dunstable and achieved 53.3mpg so looking better.

One thing is that the average MPG (#1) takes ages to get up to the average MPG. It seems to climb from low 30's up to 50mpg over a period of 100 miles. If you only do a short trip it doesn't get upto the mpg that it's actually doing.

I can live with 50+ mpg though.

Edited by Big Rich

Well I have to say I am NOT impressed with my greenline's MPG (or l/100km in the land where Germany lost the war but still control Europe ;) )

In fairness I've only put approx 1,500km on it but I'm only getting 7.1L/100Km (39.9MPG). I'd say it's been 70/30 motorway/city driving so far.

I'll be filling up again in the next day or so, so will be interesting but from what maxidot is saying it's still the same :(

btw yes I did come from a 2.0T vRS but I've been changing before 2000rpm where possible and obeying the UP/Down indicator.

The big problem I can see with the car is at 120km/h, the motorway speed limit here, the Yeti is begging for a 6th gear. It seems anything over 90km/h and fuel economy goes out the window. I've been sticking to 100/110 max to see if it helps but no dice :(

Anyone else seeing it as bad as that?

Initial observations for first 150 miles suggest I'm getting about 10% better mpg than my Mk4 Golf 1.9Tdi 115hp ; i.e. 50-60 mpg on rural roads and motorway.

I always found my Golf's mpg display to be accurate as it agreed with my own calcs done when refilling .

Is the Yeti using a different system/algorithm ?

Do notice however the Yeti is slower in starting off a roundabouts and overtaking on the motorway than the Golf.

Update. Just filled up after the return journey from Dunstable to Oswestry and achieved 59.6 mpg on the return journey. Same speed so it looks like the engine is loosing up, it now has 847 miles on it. So I'm now averaging 50.1mpg up from 48mpg.

Getting there Rich. :thumbup:

Posted this in the Superb II forum earlier:

Took a Superb 170 DSG home last night, in a bit of a rush to get out of the doors, jumped in the car started the 40 mile trip back only to notice that I had 30 miles in the tank and not a petrol station in sight :sweat: .

Drove like a saint, got home :whew: , albeit on fumes and noticed that I had averaged 53 MPG, book reckons 47 combined, I was pretty impressed although it did take me alot longer to get home. AND the engine has only done 300 miles. :thumbup:

I wouldn't recommend it though, it was one boring journey with the fear of conking out right at the front of my mind and now i know how these 'sunday drivers' feel when they poodle along with everyone throwing out the expletives

• Like 1

Getting there Rich. :thumbup:

Posted this in the Superb II forum earlier:

Took a Superb 170 DSG home last night, in a bit of a rush to get out of the doors, jumped in the car started the 40 mile trip back only to notice that I had 30 miles in the tank and not a petrol station in sight :sweat: .

Drove like a saint, got home :whew: , albeit on fumes and noticed that I had averaged 53 MPG, book reckons 47 combined, I was pretty impressed although it did take me alot longer to get home. AND the engine has only done 300 miles. :thumbup:

I wouldn't recommend it though, it was one boring journey with the fear of conking out right at the front of my mind and now i know how these 'sunday drivers' feel when they poodle along with everyone throwing out the expletives

I like that one Lee - it's true when you are trying to be good with a very low tank it's amazingly stressful. I had a mixed drive before - some hills, rural roads, little bit of town and saw around 60mpg on the maxidot... it will be interesting to see the difference between on board and the pump when I eventually fill up again.

Must admit I am liking the challenge of driving as frugally as possible (without holding up the traffic) and at least this way it's good for my pocket as well because if it's business miles then the 16ppm covers it :) - better than the Mondeo where I gave up trying to be economical and sat at a touch more than the current speed limit to get the journey over with...

Only 246 miles so far at a maxidot average of 64.2mpg

BTW - how long to I need to go easy on the engine for? I will search now and see what comes up but if anyone has anything scientific / empirical then that would be appreciated...

Mondeo :wonder:

64 MPG on the Maxi dot can't be bad Stripey, pretty sure that will improve even more.

There is no set time or mileage for going easy with the new car, more a case of using some 'grey matter' and remembering that it is still a very new engine.

I know that the Fabias have the water light that shows up until the engine is warm, not too sure about the Yeti, but if it does then take it a bit easier from start up.

The main thing is to enjoy the car

Cheers for that Lee

I have always been in the habit of allowing the engine to warm up before revving excessively - I have only been to 3,000 rpm once so far when I needed to overtake earlier... taking it very easy so far and will for a bit (hence the good economy).

The car is definitely being enjoyed and I keep smiling thinking that I am back in a Skoda and it's such a great one - even simple things like pulling in to the drive are much easier than in the cumbersome Mondeo I had and the Prius I had before that from work while the Yeti was on order...

I am even getting to thinking that I prefer it to the Octavia vRS I had... must be getting old :)

Good to know that it is getting enjoyed..... and with a smile on your face!!

One thing Stripey, Mondeo and Prius, did you offend someone in a past life? :rofl:

As for the Yeti over the vRS there is only one thing that can be said, they're both cracking cars in their own right!

I found my CR140 felt much looser after 17,000 miles, it was almost as if somebody had flicked a switch.

Hasn't helped fuel consumption - it registered 24mpg on one very gentle journey yesterday over about 10 flat miles.....

It was gentle because it took me about 1 1/2 hours through congested stop start south London traffic :rofl:

Mike

I've had my Greenline since mid-November, it's got just under 10k on the clock now. Currently fitted with winter tyres which I'll be swapping to summer tyres in a couple of weeks.

During this time I've averaged around 55 miles to the gallon (I'm no Saint)....this is calculated tank to tank not by Maxi-dot. The best I've had was 62 mpg on a long run in heavy but flowing traffic.

I've noticed that the economy seems to be improving, I guess the warmer weather is helping.

It's a great car, especially compared with the c-max 1.6 tdi it replaced, it loves the country lanes which make up most of my 30 mile journey to work, but is also at home on the motorway.

I hope you enjoy yours as much as I'm enjoying mine

Regards

Neil