Reverse light

i replaced the reverse lamp on mine with an led bulb, all its good for is looking good, rubbish for reversing on copuntry roads, trust me, get an h7 bike kite for an hid reverse lamp, works wonders

H7 sounds a bit extreme. What led did you use and were not happy with?

Be aware that an LED bulb can still be partially lit with the residual current. I had a high power cree LED to replace the crappy reverse bulb, but it was always 'glowing' and flickered on & off even with the ignition off. Tried 2 of them, both the same.

http://www.ebay.co.u...#ht_3584wt_1228

The VW groups canbus system seems to be VERY fussy about anything other than an incandescent filament bulb.

I've gone back to the yellow 1 candlepower reverse light :think:

I also can recommend Cree led for reverse light ;)

e.g.

irfant are you using cree led? do you have the same lighting issues as jonny boy?

I've seen them online and I'm tempted - hope my pre-facelift doesn't have such a strict can-bus (if there is such a term).

That's a little misleading.

If you reverse up to a wall (a foot away in the picture) with the standard bulb, it's still bright. Plus that's not a Skoda.

I found the main issue is that there's only 1 bulb and it's not really up to the task of lighting the kerb so you can see, not to wreck your Gigaros.

The cree I used was high power (they all are) but flickering aside, it didn't impress me that much.

The reflector in the Fabias light is rubbish also.

I've given up with LEDs now as you'll end up spending silly amounts experimenting on what's best.

irfant are you using cree led? do you have the same lighting issues as jonny boy?

I've seen them online and I'm tempted - hope my pre-facelift doesn't have such a strict can-bus (if there is such a term).

My previous car was Roomster (between 2006-2011). I never experienced dashboard error, flickering or glowing of bulbs when the engine was off. I guess you won't have such problems in your pre-facelift car.

Just buy single bulb first to test it for reverse light. Cree ones are not cheap but worth it.

• Like 1

Reverse lights are not designed to help you reverse, they are there so that vehicles approaching from behind can see you are to reversing. An LED light is typically not as bright as a normal bulb, just provides a whiter light. Anything more powerful than 21W could damage the low power wiring to the bulb or even the cluster.

Reverse lights are not designed to help you reverse, they are there so that vehicles approaching from behind can see you are to reversing. An LED light is typically not as bright as a normal bulb, just provides a whiter light. Anything more powerful than 21W could damage the low power wiring to the bulb or even the cluster.

Not designed to help you reverse ? completely disagree.

As far as the legality of a car having them OK, that may be true, but if I took away your reverse lights and you were in a dark spot reversing, I'd bet you'd be the first one to say "**** where's my reverse lights gone" and so would every other motorist.

I notice that cree leds got red/chrome/blue casings. Don't know why. Aesthetically would that show in daylight?

Yes it would, but to be honest, most manufacturers try and hide the white lens as it tends to detract from the lens matching the other side (usually with the fog light inside) so if the reverse cree was red, I'd probably go for that.

Obviously if you had an LED as an indicator (amber flash) and the lens was clear, you'd have to use a chrome cased LED.

• Like 1

in regards to lighting up the kerb when reversing, i have installed the festoon LEDs to my rear number plate and that lights up the kerb in dark spots :) .

Zach

:giggle: You sure they're not too bright ?

• Like 1

No not to bright

Certainly not any brighter than P21w bulb

Construction and use regulations don't say much about reversing lights

The LEDs are inserted into the housing of the indicater units

:giggle: You sure they're not too bright ?

haha, im sure, its only when there aint no light about that i can see them, doesnt light up a whole load of road or anything just enough to i can stop before I go plowing into the kerb hehe

Zach

• Like 1

Today I received these:

http://viewitem.eim....Id=822951379018

and these:

http://viewitem.eim....Id=822670835018

The cree leds are wow! look amazing and of course much brighter than the stock bulb. No issues with flickering or staying on which means that my pre-facelift canbus is not bothered.

As for the "boot" leds are impressive as well. I had previously replaced the stock boot bulb and the one in the glove compartment with other leds which were bright as well but these are even brighter. Probably it has to do with the fact that they have managed to cram in so many leds in these units.

Benny Hill moment of the day. When I was trying to pin the socket in the dark I was holding the led unit towards my face. Soon as the connector went in I got blinded. :giggle::wall:

I'm hoping to get you all some pics tomorrow. :thumbup: