Keyfob battery life

My keyfob stopped working properly last night.

I can still remotely lock the car, and unlocking with the key and starting the car works fine, but I can't unlock it remotely.

Fortunately I have the spare so can carry on using the car.

I assume the batteries in the keyfobs have a finite life. The car is just about 6 years old, does that sound about right for a dead battery?

Will Skoda have replace the battery? Presumably it's an overpriced job?

Any advice or experience appreciated.

Cheers.

Easy to do yourself ,Lithium battery a CR 2032 3 volt battery bought from maplins or a supermarket , video guide on here , yours will be the 1st part , all vag cars are the same of that era, do not repeatedly press the button away from your car as you may lose the coding, just put new battery in writing side down and reassemble and press unlock or lock. Change both Keyfobs, they have lasted well, I change mine every 18 months :happy:

You Tube guide

I'd always go for a battery with a recognised brand as well e.g. Duracell, Rayovac, Panasonic etc. Some of the unbranded ones are complete rubbish and when used in some devices, positively dangerous.

Beware of that video. The battery removed had the writing side down and the replacement had the writing side up.

Shome mishtake shurely?

Beware of that video. The battery removed had the writing side down and the replacement had the writing side up.

Shome mishtake shurely?

Yes he says in the video

I got 12 CR2032 for £2.62 inc shipping http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-CR-2032-Lithium-Coin-Battery/dp/B0027XNA6Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1332339731&sr=8-2

He does explain that he put the battery in upside down in the first part, but for clarity he really should have just recorded that part again with it the right way up. Its presumably not as if it was shot over 6 months with 20000 extras and the cost of a retake would have been prohibitive :smirk:

• Like 2