SKODA OCTAVIA III suggestions+ advises + precautions + guide and help driving

Dear All,

Recently I have bought a new SKODA Octavia III (ACTIVE) (1.6L / 102BHP - DSG). Before I will start driving on the busy roads of Russia.

suggestions+ advises + precautions + guide and help driving Skoda Octavia III (DSG) are welcome. (apart from official guide)

Many thanks in advance

Skoda Fan from Russia :wonder:

• 2 weeks later...

I hate to say it, but it's a car, so drive it like you'd drive any other car.

I'd suggest taking it out at a quiet time to familiarise yourself with the car, but other than that I can't add much.

No idea how well the DSG will cope in the sort of Snow/Ice you can see in Russia either, so that's again something you're far more likely to know.

Something I will advise however, is to make sure you use the right oil and that you always keep your screen wash solution strong enough. The latter not being adhered to can lead to pipes popping off and leaking water into the boot.

Hope that helps and enjoy your car.

• Like 2

As a new car I would expect the dealer selling it to talk you threw the controls etc If you don't know anything they should be more than happy to help as their customer. Failing that the owners manual is full of useful information which should help. Likewise with the above you said Octavia III as far as I am aware their isn't even a date for start of production yet, but if the current Octavia is called an Octavia III in Russia the rest of us would know it as the Octavia II Face Lift (FL).

Enjoy the new wheels what optional extras did you get? Also do you have any pictures for us to see?

I'm not surprised by some of the responses you got here. It's just a car, drive it. If you want to know something specific then ask it. If you are after general advice then read the threads on this forum.

Many thanks all of you...You guys are right it is Octavia II (FL) ...apologies...

I had bought a very standard model what I believe is not comparable with UK models.

It's my first automatic transmission car & I am happy with the drive. Also I had already driven in a low temperature (-7c) & DSG was working fine. When buying a car in cold countries the officially dealers do suggest to buy an alarm system (extra immobilizer). Due to very cold weather conditions, e.g. outside temperature is -10c to -25c. From 2km distance I can start my car engine & make it hot instead of sitting in a cold car. Rest of the features is not really similar to English models.

In future if anyone needs any suggestions driving in a cold weather conditions please do not hesitate to ask me. I am always happy to help or anyone wants to buy a car in Russia while living & working in Russia.

Many thanks all of you...You guys are right it is Octavia II (FL) ...apologies... I had bought a very standard model what I believe is not comparable with UK models. It's my first automatic transmission car & I am happy with the drive. Also I had already driven in a low temperature (-7c) & DSG was working fine. When buying a car in cold countries the officially dealers do suggest to buy an alarm system (extra immobilizer). Due to very cold weather conditions, e.g. outside temperature is -10c to -25c. From 2km distance I can start my car engine & make it hot instead of sitting in a cold car. Rest of the features is not really similar to English models. In future if anyone needs any suggestions driving in a cold weather conditions please do not hesitate to ask me. I am always happy to help or anyone wants to buy a car in Russia while living & working in Russia.

================================================================================================

Welcome to the site.

We do not have this model in the UK but most of us love the DSG.  Is it the 6 speed or 7 speed?

Do you have to cope with low octane petrol and is petrol cheaper than diesel? </p>

We have had some record low temperature for us, ie down to almost -20C, this winter and the winter before.</p>

Does Skoda price itself 20 or 30% lower than VW as it does in the UK?  This is largely down to currency as Czech Republic and Uk not in Euro area.

Enjoy.

PS - on a large site like this you get a real mixture of people of course.

Edited by lol

. Due to very cold weather conditions, e.g. outside temperature is -10c to -25c. From 2km distance I can start my car engine & make it hot instead of sitting in a cold car.

Nifty feature! I've read about it as an option on old Jeep Cherokees in USA. I guess it's a button on your key fob you wouldn't want to press by mistake!

One piece of important advice, with the DSG box never leave it gear and rely on the handbrake to hold the car, you will soon knacker the clutches as the car will try to drive. Better to put it in neutral with handbrake when waiting at traffic lights etc.

Ian

• 3 months later...

Nifty feature! I've read about it as an option on old Jeep Cherokees in USA. I guess it's a button on your key fob you wouldn't want to press by mistake!

My mate had it on his last car - quite good I guess for putting the heaters on the night before and clearing the screen of snow and/or ice.

It's not particularly good for an engine to allow it to warm up by idling though, much better to just drive off (if you can see where you're going!)

My mate had it on his last car - quite good I guess for putting the heaters on the night before and clearing the screen of snow and/or ice.

It's not particularly good for an engine to allow it to warm up by idling though, much better to just drive off (if you can see where you're going!)