Dave's Darkness Update, and TURBO WOES.

Dave And Lolli

Ok, So i have had my Lovely Black Magic Octavia vRS estate for nearly a year. Nearly a trouble free year of motoring too (touch wood!) only thing to go wrong was Camshaft sensor.

So this is what she looked like in August at USC:

IMGP1252.jpg

spent most of time connected to a bluepoint code reader clearing the camshaft code so she would start.

so we could do this:

IMGP1262.jpg

But i never realised how much the suspension/front end lifted and dropped on these cars:

IMGP1263.jpg

inside she has one of these puppies:

SAM_0127.jpg

Fast forward a few months and we are now getting into the Project skoda bug as I can't justify £1000 for a skyline insurance, so i have turned my attention to the Estate, to my surprise the wife was ok with it.

So I have been looking at all the journals and threads about mods people have done and i have drawn on some people's ideas and thought.... I could do that.

I have started with the lower costing Mods, being jobless means expensive mods like FMIC, Alloys will have to wait until my Vectra is sold. :( :'(

So in the meantime I have got cracking with this: JOM strutbrace, Fitted.

SAM_0133-2.jpg

I have also gone with GlowShift gauges from America:

Boost Gauge

SAM_0157.jpg

Oil Pressure Gauge

SAM_0160.jpg

Having looked a Bowders amazing OEM Gauge holder i thought i would have a stab at it, but with a double one so went with this from McGill Motorsport:

SAM_0117-1.jpg

But quickly decided it was a bad idea when i did this to it after trying to bend it

SAM_0152.jpg

So had a re think and thought not going to be beaten by something so simple. So i went with these two, again from McGill Motorsport rather than the bulky twin pod holder, I also changed my method/tools too. Firstly I used heat gun and pair of cutters, which didnt really work for me.

SAM_0153.jpg

So yesterday afternoon after the Grand Prix had finished i sat in the garden and started moulding them with the heat gun and man's best friend, the Dremel. The moulding is the most time consuming bit on this so luckily i had music an the sun to help ease the time by.

This was the top gauge holder after moulding, not too much curvature on it but the right amount to fit the "A" Pillar, helpful I had bought a new one to do this with

SAM_0177.jpg

This is the 2nd gauge holder, as you can see much more curvature in many ways, as this is the one that will be on the bottom, there were several visits to the car with pillar and pods to make sure straight and marked up the pillar for where I wanted them sat so i could see both gauges clearly.

SAM_0180.jpg

SAM_0182.jpg

After i was happy with the moulding I set to work with the Stixall in the Shed on the Bench.

SAM_0184.jpg

The 2nd Pod holder fitted perfectly, and stuck straight away, the 1st one was a pig, so resorted to the Good old fashioned Bench vice to help it stick and some trusty rubberbands :happy:

SAM_0187.jpg

Left it over night and this was the end result this morning, a bit messy with the sealant but that will be covered with filler shortly.

SAM_0188.jpg

So I thought I better test fit it for clearance and ability to view both pods from drivers seat. I think they look quite good, nice clear view of both pods. So i am very happy with yesterday afternoons efforts :rofl::rock:

SAM_0192.jpg

SAM_0191.jpg

SAM_0193-1.jpg

I think they look about in the right place :giggle:, now removed it to get ready for the filling stage of it. More fun in the sun this afternoon :sun: :sun: :sun:

Nice :)

Thanks Rob, Nice to have that from a Pier who's car I am trying to get mine somewhere near.

I'm feeling a 'Rise of the Estates' kind of vibe at the moment. Highly approved!

I'm also budget modding. Best way to! Keep up the good work.

Cheers Bud, Yes a rise of the Estates!, yours is looking good too fella. See u are on South Coast, where abouts? Yes budget Modding till I can afford the good things.... FMIC, remap, Alloys.

woohoo another estate. Looking good mate. i got the twin pods also and used a heat gun to shape them to the trim. they got hot and went all soggy and the new shape was formed.

Look forwards to seeing this. nice color for an estate too.

Subscribed.

woohoo another estate. Looking good mate. i got the twin pods also and used a heat gun to shape them to the trim. they got hot and went all soggy and the new shape was formed.

Look forwards to seeing this. nice color for an estate too.

Subscribed.

Cheers Buddy, Yours is coming on at a fair rate too. Mine will be much slower than you though.

Yes it was like trying to find rocking horse dung finding that black estate when i bought it.

Update today, I have ripped the pods off again as wasn't happy with the glue an fit, plus yesterdays attempt at filling didn't really work.

Have now gone with bumper filler rather than body filler as it takes to plastic! Der! only me! going shopping for stuff when just woke up isn't a wise idea.

I am lovin the idea of well lights in the car, but it does seem a lot of aggro to fit having watched Gee-Man's fitting. So have been trawling the net and looking at the Glowshift website found these little puppies that seem very Fast and Furious! i like them!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEDGLOW-4PC-7-COLOUR-LED-UNDERDASH-INTERIOR-LIGHT-KIT-/200723632085?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2ebc0f8fd5#ht_4543wt_1270

much easier to fit i would say and not restricted to just one colour, also the can beat in time to the music as i understand....

Used to have a set of rings that were neon blue back in the day that went round the 6x9's and flashed to the music too. get the right beat and bob's your uncle instant police car :bandit: as had old clifford alarm that sounded like a police siren at speed, with the personal attack alarm built in, Scared soo many of my mates. :rofl:

Haha they are so Fast and Furious. I like.

They also do these which would set off a nice set of alloys i think, an tie in with the interior lights.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-MILLION-COLOR-UNDERBODY-WHEEL-LIGHTING-NEON-LIGHTS-/110840826117?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item19cea0c905#ht_4240wt_1253

not sure if they would be a bridge too far :think:

So I wasn't happy with the sealant and the filler, I refitted them and i think this looks better. I have also cut holes for access to back of pods.

SAM_0421.jpg

SAM_0422.jpg

I have also filled them/moulded them to look OEM, this i got very OCD over, but i am happy with the results :)

SAM_0424.jpg

SAM_0425.jpg

SAM_0426.jpg

I have spent this afternoon spraying primer on, i have now left it to dry ready for spraying tomorrow. Hopefully I will have the gauges plumbed in by tuesday at this rate. Depends on how the spraying goes tomorrow.

SAM_0432.jpg

SAM_0430.jpg

SAM_0429.jpg

just not very good at this waiting malarky :zzz:

Looking cool matey :)

Are you goint to spray the passenger trim the same so it matches both sides ?

Or what about a matt black and try get it similar to the trim

:)

Yes mate, going to spray the other pillar, but want to do them one at a time as far too OCD with the finish. in fact was thinking about matching up the "B" pillars too if it goes to plan.

Going with Black magic mate, bring the Outside in ;)

I am on the home stretch for the painting now. After the White Primer i sprayed it with grey primer just to make sure it was full even coat and a better base for the paint.

SAM_0433.jpg

Today i have been in my makeshift spray room (shed) with door shut(clever boy! NOT!) so an interesting evening. lol. but here is the results of my days labour.

SAM_0437.jpg

SAM_0442.jpg

SAM_0447.jpg

Nice shiny Skoda Black magic! just the clear lacquer to go on tomorrow :rock:

Then off to the spraying friend for something special :peek:

nothing wrong with being fussy! just got some funny looks from my neighbour spraying mine up lol

Yeah my neighbours are looking as i have been in and out of the shed every 15-20 mins for the last two days :bandit: .

You should just turn and run everytime she looks, make her realy suspicous, or keep peeking out the window of the shed :D

Put abit of net up just for pulling back a little

Looking good tho mate, cant wait to see them on

Yeah my neighbours are looking as i have been in and out of the shed every 15-20 mins for the last two days :bandit: .

Loudly announce it each time you there, that you are going to your secret laboratory!

• Like 1