Bulb Warning Lamp but no Maxidot Message

OK guys a strange one - has anyone fitting HID kits to the standard halogen projector lights on a pre-FL Octavia had subsequent headlight levelling motor errors show up?

I had coding for a Xenon kit done last year (xenons without shutters and canbus check disabled on the dipped beam) but didn't actually fit the kit for months and in the intervening period had the bulb warning light illuminate on the dash with maxidot message regarding which bulb was at fault.

The latter occurred when I flashed the main beam and braked at the same time with a trailer board fitted on a towbar mounted bike rack. Over Christmas I fitted the Xenon kit (50w 6000k) and also changed to LED sidelights and uprated main beams. I also swapped most of the rear lamps just in case but the bulb warning remained.

I've recently had some work done and as part of that the lamp warning error was checked. It showed a level motor problem but the non-self levelling was working fine with the Xenon kit etc. so this was cleared.

It's since been fine for a while and the levelling operated by the internal thumbwheel has continued to operate OK, as have all the lights.

However, the warning light (and no maxidot message) came back again on Saturday night in the same circumstances as before - whilst having main beam on and braking reversing onto my drive.

So any ideas on why this might be cropping up and whether the coding might need tweaking? For example if I have Xenons without shutters coded is the car looking for self levelling and a 35w kit and hence throwing a random code with that particular combination of lighting?

Or do I actually have a levelling motor fault even though it appears to be working perfectly (can it sense if the motor is stiff - can I free it up with some good old WD 40 etc? - could it be some of the extra Xenon kit wiring in the way?)

And finally can the bulb warning code be cleared any way without VCDS (I don't have ready access to this so would something like a Gendan code reader do it?)

As an aside I had an MOT done last week and it flew through with the LED's and Xenon Kit despite not having self-levelling!

• 1 month later...