Fabia - Radiator Fan (resistor?)

Dear All,

My wife's faithfull runaround is the 2001 Fabia (1.4 Petrol). First hot day of the year and on the school run yesterday, the car overheated causing a minor ovespill of coolant. She called the AA guy and the diagnosis was that the "Fan resistor is burnt". She was shown the terminal wire in the battery connector box (just above the battery) which is burnt oot revealing a sort of melted down plastic on a coil of spring! I have seen it this morning and I have attached a picture of the component.

What is this "resistor"? Is this the automatic timer cut-out? Any help .... will be helpful.

Cheers and waiting for the firendly sokda drivers to respond :)

Ros

post-18204-0-35489500-1333018965_thumb.jpg

The fan resistor is inside the fan assembly underneath the glove box (in the fan air flow for coolant). I think this looks like a burnt out in-line fuse holder.

When the fan resistor burns out you get "full blast" or off only not any of the intermediate speeds.

Edited by djdazzy

The fan resistor is inside the fan assembly underneath the glove box (in the fan air flow for coolant). I think this looks like a burnt out in-line fuse holder.

When the fan resistor burns out you get "full blast" or off only not any of the intermediate speeds.

What you describe has nothing to do with the cooling fan on the radiator which OP is talking about.

That certainly looks like a burnt out resistor, but it doesn't look standard. What engine code is it (3 character code from options label in boot or service log book) and does it have A/C?

Many thanks!

The car is a 1.4 Petrol silverline. I have had it since new so I know it has not been modified. I have attached the engine spec.

If anyone can help me diagnose what this is I would ideally like to try and change it myself. If I have to take it to a garage, it still helps to know what they are fleecing me for!

As things stand - radiator fan does not run and car overheats. The AA guy said he tried to fix it to "always on" but could not.

Briskodian - if you need any more information, please let me know.

post-18204-0-11688100-1333037461_thumb.jpg

OK, I remember what that is - I've retrofitted at least one. It's a noise suppressor. All cars don't have it and you can do without it unless the fan affects the radio or causes a warning light.

According to my notes it is part number 6Y0 971 037 E and is about £20.

If you look in the picture, the 4mm red wire (yellow arrow) would connect to fuseholder 8 (green arrow) if the suppressor was not fitted. You need to check fuse 8. The black block (blue arrow) on the red wire is just a wiring adapter.

post-2559-0-60788900-1333097109_thumb.jpg

I don't know what the AA man tried. If fixing the fuse and removing the suppressor doesn't get the fan going then you may need a new fan or thermo switch.

WARNING! The fan is live all the time and can run when the ignition is off! Keep your fingers away from the blades!

Might it be a good idea to find the reason why the condenser has burnt out first before replacing it ? Could the fan be taking too much current?

I would personally check the inline fuse is the correct value and not bunged up with aluminium foil. Also, check the current the fan is drawing with a multimeter before replacing anything. Like RW said it could be a seized or shorted fan.

Edited by djdazzy

many thanks guys. Looks like best resolved at the garage!

The fuse 8 is indeed blown. Looks like the AA guy changed it and it blew again indicating that the fan is gone.

Last question - How expensive is the fan? And is it easy enough to change?

Edited by wq949966

Changed fuse 8. Still no fan. Looks like the supressor needs to be taken out OR the fan is blown. Either way I need to take it to the garage :(

The other thing you don't know is what the AA man did. I've seen quite a few where the plug has been removed from the thermo switch or fan to prevent further problems.