Main beam fault.

Hello Hello & Hello,

Mot picked up this problem on my a4 (i have an octy also & you guys've been very helpful in past). it has adaptive xenons & the passenger side main (high) beam mechanism does not activate, ( just the reflector flip up i believe). Both bulbs illuminate & the drivers side works properly. anyone know how this mechanism works & possible causes of failure.

it is a b7, 2005 with low miles in vgc. (just lacking an mot :'( ).

i've tried knocking it lightly but no luck. silly, but worth a try. i know, knock it heavily, ha ha.

Have you tried main beam in both settings, i.e. dipped headlights on and indictor stalk pushed towards the dash (main beam) / headlights on indicator stalk pulled away from the dash (flash) / headlights off and indicator pulled away from the dash (flash).

If none of these methods lifts the shutter then it is likely the solenoid / motor is faulty.

I may have only tried the "flasher" flip so i will try with lights on tomorrow, but i think the garage would have tested it that way though.

worth a try, many thanks silver.

Hello Hello & Hello,

Mot picked up this problem on my a4 (i have an octy also & you guys've been very helpful in past). it has adaptive xenons & the passenger side main (high) beam mechanism does not activate, ( just the reflector flip up i believe). Both bulbs illuminate & the drivers side works properly. anyone know how this mechanism works & possible causes of failure.

it is a b7, 2005 with low miles in vgc. (just lacking an mot :'( ).

i've tried knocking it lightly but no luck. silly, but worth a try. i know, knock it heavily, ha ha.

Check the wattage of the bulbs they must have two values, one for main beam and one for high. Im not sure about xenons but H7 Halogens are 55w for main beam and 60w for high beam. Edited by 07 vRS Taxi

Bi-xenon's are a little different, the xenon bulb output is constant, the only difference is that a shutter partially covers the lens when on dipped beam. When you flick to main beam the shutters lift out of the way revealing the full beam spread.