removing superglue from dashboard/interior

I added some more chrome to my interior, but I've got glue all everywhere and the strip needs to be repositioned.

I'm going to get some nail polish remover but before I apply it, I want to make sure it wont decolour the interior plastic.

Before using any solvent,

i would put some ice cubes or crushed ice in a poly bag and hold it on the superglue for a good few minutes, see if you can get the glue off when it has really cooled. (Or try an ice pop.)

Nothing to lose trying that, it works on some cloths and materials, never tried it on plastic though.

george

You would want to use cold because it is proved to sometimes work on cloth.,

not because it is April the 1st.

It was a suggestion because you asked, if its not worth trying, then dont.

When trying to remove stains on materials, you first use water, then vinegar, lemon or none harmfull substances before risking something that may damage the material.

Cost nothing, is easy to get, and nothing to lose as it is unlikely to do any damage..

george

You'll probably find that even when it's removed, the chemicals have attacked the plastic and there's an obvious 'shaded' mark there.

Fingers crossed.

You'll probably find that even when it's removed, the chemicals have attacked the plastic and there's an obvious 'shaded' mark there.

Fingers crossed.

That's why you should use proper superglue remover.

Although SOME nail polish removers contains Acetone (Propanone), they contain other chemicals to remove dye. Acetone is used to synthesize Methyl Methacrylate (superglue) and will also turn it back to the liquid/gel state.

That's why you should use proper superglue remover.

Although SOME nail polish removers contains Acetone (Propanone), they contain other chemicals to remove dye. Acetone is used to synthesize Methyl Methacrylate (superglue) and will also turn it back to the liquid/gel state.

When superglue is left to dry on a porous plastic (like the dash) it's going to leave a tarnish whatever remover is used.

If anyone wants to disagree, please feel free to put some superglue on the dash, let it dry and see if a remover has it back to normal.

Any takers ?

When superglue is left to dry on a porous plastic (like the dash) it's going to leave a tarnish whatever remover is used.

If anyone wants to disagree, please feel free to put some superglue on the dash, let it dry and see if a remover has it back to normal.

Any takers ?

I did that when I superglued a handsfree control to a light grey Mk1 Octavia dash. A week later I removed it with Loctite Super Glue 3 Remover and it left no mark at all. Removing the control was easy but it took a few applications to get the glue (now like a gel) from the contoured surface.

jonny boy, re faded or lightened marks/areas,

That is when you start trying the invisible mends.

Shoe Polish that matches,

some make up or crayons,

back to black, (grey) etc Just working on the small patches you need to hide.

and a bit of a light satin furnisher polish or wax or whatever it needs to fool a half blind person in poor light.

'This public information broadcast came courtesy of Kerbside Autos & rubbish vehicle refurbisher ltd.'

george

Edited by sk4gw

jonny boy, re faded or lightened marks/areas,

That is when you start trying the invisible mends.

Shoe Polish that matches,

some make up or crayons,

back to black, (grey) etc Just working on the small patches you need to hide.

and a bit of a light satin furnisher polish or wax or whatever it needs to fool a half blind person in poor light.

'This public information broadcast came courtesy of Kerbside Autos & rubbish vehicle refurbisher ltd.'

george

Nice one !

Worth a sticky posting (no pun intended)