What annoyed you today whilst driving ?

jonny boy

WHAT IS THIS NEW FASHION OF TREATING THE END OF A SLIP-ROAD AS A GIVE WAY JUNCTION?!!?!?! Stupid old cow nearly killed four people this afternoon by deciding to stop dead trying to get on the M6 

Technically it is a give way . . . (Assuming you mean traffic on the slip road, not the MW/DC)

I think it was more along the lines of people who fly up to the end of the slip road, fail to merge and then panic and stop dead like absolute ass clowns. 

• Like 1

I think it was more along the lines of people who fly up to the end of the slip road, fail to merge and then panic and stop dead like absolute ass clowns. 

In Italy they just carry on down the hard shoulder in that situation, probably against the law there but the roads in Italy are pretty lawless anyway!

• Like 1

In Italy they just carry on down the hard shoulder in that situation, probably against the law there but the roads in Italy are pretty lawless anyway!

Yea it is nuts there, Police cars getting undertaken whilst going for it with lights on etc. Crazy people, lots of cameras strangely.

A7 driver overtook me then slowed right down?!

I hate that especially when on motorway using cruise control! 

Or when you are on cruise control, and someone is sitting in lane 2 just behind and sitting there, when you are approaching another car in lane 1.

The road that now isn't a road as the hedges are too overgrown meaning I had to detour.

The worst thing about that is, you have to look at the back of it then!  :no:  :sick: 

The chavvy little gimp in his tiny engine'd 206 with full HID (iz wicked man) who decided that tailgating and swerving around behind me was the best  way to encourage me to break the speed limit. Mind you when we got to the national speed limit it appeared his car wasn't as quick as he thought :P 

• Like 2

What annoyed me yesterday when driving ... the old lady driving a Vauxhall block of flats (not sure what it was, other than a Vauxhall and tall) getting on to the M53 north bound ahead of me doing 40 mph, and continuing at 40mph whilst those of us behind had to wait for a gap in the outside lane to get past  :(

Three lanes of traffic, Left hand lane straight ahead, middle lane right hand turn and straight ahead, right hand lane right turn only all clearly marked on the road.  Buses have to be in the middle lane to turn right as they can't swing in. I was in the right lane turning right, bus in middle lane turning right getting abuse from the two cars in front of me for cutting them up - they were going straight on :~

Had to do that the other day because the hairy ar$ed truck driver couldn't be bothered to change lanes (he could have done quite easily), just booted it up the hard shoulder and jioned in front of him!

Man that is a pain!

Al the roads were OK for me today - at one point there was a Golf in front of me on the motorway, the Audi in lane 2 indicated to pull out so I flashed him. The Audi froze (?), the Golf pulled in (?) and I carried on in lane 3 :happy:

45MPH is not an acceptable speed on an otherwise uncongested motorway. Put you put down, or get the **** of roads with national speed limits.

And deeeeeeeeeeeeep breath.

• Like 1

45MPH is not an acceptable speed on an otherwise uncongested motorway. Put you put down, or get the **** of roads with national speed limits. And deeeeeeeeeeeeep breath.

Ironically, in Northern Ireland for the first 12 months after passing a motorbike or car test the driver is required to display 'R' plates on the front and rear of vehicle, denoting that the vehicle is restricted. Whilst those plates are on anyone driving the vehicle is not allowed to drive faster than 45mph. It is NUTS but they are allowed on motorways and are not allowed to go over 45mph.... Not that any seem to really stick to it. 

Ironically, in Northern Ireland for the first 12 months after passing a motorbike or car test the driver is required to display 'R' plates on the front and rear of vehicle, denoting that the vehicle is restricted. Whilst those plates are on anyone driving the vehicle is not allowed to drive faster than 45mph. It is NUTS but they are allowed on motorways and are not allowed to go over 45mph.... Not that any seem to really stick to it. 

What an amazing example of ill thought out legislation. How can we make new drivers safer? speed restrict them! Are they allowed on motorways? Well... yes! :think: :wall:

one reason why I did my driving test in the mainland whilst I was in the army rather than doing it at home on leave

• Like 1

What an amazing example of ill thought out legislation. How can we make new drivers safer? speed restrict them! Are they allowed on motorways? Well... yes! :think: :wall:

To be fair there was logic behind it. Having the highest road deaths in the UK and some of the highest in Europe against population. The type of roads being less forgiving than rest of UK and a good A road being more like a poor B road in England. Inexperienced drivers who misjudge things tend to die a lot more easily as a result. The longest motorway in the country by far is only 36 miles long and the shortest motorway 0.2 miles long. The 45mph limit applies also to learners in NI. So a person can learn to drive at no more than 45mph, pass test, drive at no more than 45mph for 12 months, then suddenly they are capable of doing 70mph safely.......

If you ever want to feel better about the seemingly crap standards of driving in GB specifically on motorways (rest of it is pretty good), visit Northern Ireland. Similar to needing beam deflectors etc whilst visiting France, you will be required to remove indicators upon arrival. These seem to be deemed unnecessary, as often demonstrated by the Police. Although should you need to undertake an MOT test at a proper controlled MOT centre, to the higher standard required in NI, this is the only occasion the bulbs need to be refitted. As there are more or less no motorways you can't really be on one long enough to get too annoyed and the majority are only 2 lanes, so less of the pure ignorance of lane discipline that plagues the rest of the UK. When you see a NI registered car in GB attacking the motorways, provided it isn't someone who has bought the registration and claims it is a private plate, but is just a total cheap skate, have a little patience it is a different world to us. 

Restricted drivers
After passing the driving test for a motor car or a motorcycle, you must display amber R plates for a period of one year from the date of passing the test.

The plates MUST conform to legal specifications and MUST be clearly visible to others from in front of the vehicle and from behind. Plates should be removed or covered when not being driven by a restricted driver.

The maximum permitted speed for any vehicle displaying R plates is 45 mph (72km/h), whether or not the vehicle is being driven by a restricted driver.

Laws RTO 1981 Art 19A & MV(PR)R  

one reason why I did my driving test in the mainland whilst I was in the army rather than doing it at home on leave

If you took the 45mph test in NI you could have exchanged the Coleraine licence for a Swansea one for no pennies. I have taken tests in both NI and GB and GB was a lot easier having good roads id say. So a better choice overall.

A good example of the method behind the madness^^^

Just very out of date these days, it was a thing that was widely ignored. People put the plates on (R is on the reverse side of the L plates) but never observed the speed restriction. Historically there wasn't really a big policing presence for things like that as they had other things to concentrate on, as you can imagine. But with the introduction of the countries entire fixed speed camera network (all 4 of them), a shed load of mobile ones and changing times. These things are now more enforced. I remember an uncle in the 90's getting caught at the time rather strangely to be caught, doing 55mph on R plates. He was awarded an additional 6 months of R plate mania to endure. 

To be fair there was logic behind it. Having the highest road deaths in the UK and some of the highest in Europe against population. The type of roads being less forgiving than rest of UK and a good A road being more like a poor B road in England. Inexperienced drivers who misjudge things tend to die a lot more easily as a result. The longest motorway in the country by far is only 36 miles long and the shortest motorway 0.2 miles long. The 45mph limit applies also to learners in NI. So a person can learn to drive at no more than 45mph, pass test, drive at no more than 45mph for 12 months, then suddenly they are capable of doing 70mph safely.......

Cite for above http://www.pathetic.org.uk/regions/ireland/