General F1 Discussion Topic . .

Doesnt seem to be just a general "talk about the latest race thread" (plenty of Sky this sky that threads) so I thought I`d start one.

Shaping up to be a very interesting race tomorrow! Gutted that Jenson hasnt got the pace just now but that was made up a little by Vettel missing out on Q3. Fair play to the Merc`s, Rosbergs first pole and Schumi showing even at 42 his is still well up there with the best of them. Hopefully we`ll get the chance to see exactly what their race pace is like without any incidents. Kobayashi another one to watch and Raikkonen with decent pace also.

Overall looking forward to being a good race tomorrow!

I'll be watching on BBC just because I don't have Sky. Of what I heard about the coverage I didn't miss much. Apparently Bruno Senna was being talked to by both BBC and Sky at the same time and most are under the impression Sky wasn't live. They came out first and said they were but of course they are going to say that.

I can see Kobayashi pulling off a kamikazi move at the first corner and depending if he pulls it off will probably alter the race significantly. Mercedes race pace hasn't been good so they could go backwards unless they get a good start. Hamilton has set himself up more for the race so hopefully should storm through. Schumacher is known for making his car wide and I'm looking forward to him battling Kimi again.

Think it's the first time in a while where I genuinely don't know who's going to win or what's going to happen which is great for the sport

It will be interesting to see how the Mercedes performs in the race with their new 'DRS device'. There is only one DRS zone in the race, in Quailfiying the driver can use it wherever he likes.

Glad Mr Vet tel isn't at the front, but as I've not seen any coverage, I don't know who's where other than Rosberg's got pole.

(haven't read previous posts as Im..)

Watching Q1 China atm, arg how many times did I fall asleep on the pre quali program?? The presenters are pants and layout is so much like a lecture (poxy sky box analysis), the bimbo is wearing more clothes this week which completely defeats the object of having her there. complete fail. really ruining f1 quali for me.

But yeah, ferrari is quite entertaining atm.. :D I'll update post little later.

^^ Are you playing catchup from the weekend, or is it just Sky re-running everything again to pad out time in the channel??

Interesting result from Mercedes and I wonder how Schumacher would have faired if they had put his wheel on right, you could feel the frustration from the pit crew when he left the box, the wheel guy knew straight away.

Despite the issues with Bahrain, I think it will still go ahead.

Worrying that you were nowhere unless you had a Mercedes engine in China.

Sounded like the engines were topping out on the revs two third way down the straight.

8 gears please!

Edited by lol

I try to start a topic about the actual racing as oppose to going round in circles talking about the Sky vs BBC debate and what do we talk about . . . . . . . . :wall:

Anyway, back the the racing, great race last week, was gutted for Button would have really liked to see how the race would have unfolded if he was on Rosberg`s tail. Still even with him (rosberg) having clean air and not having to push too hard it was a shock to most just how well the Merc didnt muller its tyres. Having said that, they havent had much chance to show race pace until last week. Also I thought i`d never say this but I felt sorry for Michael too, although his 42 I think he is showing he still has the touch if he has a decent car under him and i`v got no doubt he has help Mercedes GP come on as well as they have with his experience.

Looking forward to this weekends race, everyone says the track is boring etc etc but I think the way things are we could seriously see a upset if someone gets the car hooked up well, although there is no doubting Mercedes & Mclaren have the legs at the moment.

• Like 1

I agree, this thread should only be about the RACING. To keep it in that theme .

What does everybody think of the actual RACE at Bahrain today. Personally it thought it was excellent and it is brilliant to see so many different drivers and manufacturers doing so well, last week we had the Mercedes Team doing very well , this week Red Bull climb back to the top, but Lotus come through for 2nd and 3rd which was a great drive, Paul DiResta 6th in Force India brilliant drive. Damn shame Jenson had to retire and bad luck to Hamilton for the pit stop problems. But overall closer racing between the teams, less arguing about the rules and overall far more entertaining.

A massive thumbs up from me. :happy::thumbup:

It was a great race today Phil.

Loads of position changes, stewards enquiry to come, Grosjean's first ever F1 podium finish, lots of debate about tyre choice, drivers running so low on fuel that they pull over as they pass the flag! What more could you ask for? :D

Four winners in four races. 2012 season off to a cracking start!

• Like 1

alonso did make me laugh though coming over the radio moaning about rosberg. its racing grow up hamilton never said a word just kept his foot in it and made the overtake stick. glad to see such a varied season though just a shame we have to wait three weeks before spain.

We don't know what was said because FOM decide what's broadcast. Guessing Hamilton wouldn't have said much as him and Rosberg are old team mates and friends and he's aggressive himself. I'm betting though if Hamilton had done that the stewards would have done something.

• Like 1

Schmacher wasn't at all happy with the tyre situation was he:

"I had to drive at a pace to manage the tyres to finish with tyres left over," he said. "We should question whether that should be the case.

"It's unsatisfying and not what a Formula 1 event should be."

"It's unsatisfying and not what a Formula 1 event should be."

but that really is what has made this season so brilliant so far. the different strategies etc. really bringing the mid field group into contention and makes for much more overtaking. it really brings it down to the last few laps for podium places aswell.

The point that Schumacher made was perfectly valid and as a driver of such experience inc 6 World Championships he is more than entitled to say it BUT.......that is not how the public will view it.

Yes drivers want the tyres to perform properly and not have to manage them but, exactly as you say, Pirelli have managed to develop the races into much much more and generate closer, more exciting racing.

Still think fueling should come back.

Perhaps bring in qualifying tyres, should even things up come race time. everyone has the same amount of rubber.

Although this season has been one of the best so far.

i thing refuelling should come back so when there are issues like with hamilton last week and jenson the week before they would not have really lost anytime. but mclaren definitely need to sort there pit stops out!! i just hope vettel doesnt win again this season because now everyone has seen what he is really like, A crybaby who if he doesn't win its everyone elses fault not his own. e.g the issue with kartikayan in no way was he totally blameless and he has the cheek to call him an idiot.

Important test session at Mugello for Ferrari this week - despite Alonso winning, the Ferrari has generally been uncompetitive and Ferrari need to get their season back on track. Alonso hasn't qualified higher than ninth which is pretty poor by Ferrari's usual high standards.

They will be trialling new bodywork and have a number of performance upgrades which they hope will shoot them up the grid for the Barcelona race (13 May). Given it's Alonso's home GP, he'll certainly be hoping for some improvements.

• 2 weeks later...

Just watching F1 practice on BBC Red Button - is very much an R&D session for most teams.

Gary Anderson is very knowledgable and explains things very well.

Just been talking about investments and costs, the quick release jack that Marussia use cost £10k and it's nothing special.

Lewis Hamilton loses Spanish pole because of rules on fuel!!

No surprise there then! Another snip at Hamilton, going to start from the back. :wall: what does the lad have to do to beat the stewards!

• Like 1

Lewis Hamilton loses Spanish pole because of rules on fuel!!

No surprise there then! Another snip at Hamilton, going to start from the back. :wall: what does the lad have to do to beat the stewards!

It's political. Alonso's home turf and the FIA (Ferrari International Assistance)

What I don't understand is how some teams are allowed to sit out or run a slow lap in the qualifying 3 to save a set of tyres, that to me should be a five grid penalty.

• Like 1

This is just wrong. If he's penalised then it should be back to 10th and NO MORE! He made it into Q3 by merit so should stay there. HRT's don't make 107% rule but they race.

Here's a copy of the official FIA meeting notes. By the wording they almost banned him completely from racing.

http://www.standingstart.net/index.php?threads/spanish-gp-discussion-thread.120/#post-718