1.4 tsi DSG clutch problem

I have been experiencing a judder from my 2010 Octavia 1.4 tsi DSG Estate when the box changes from 1st. to 2nd. gear.

This was worse when engine hot, and some steering lock on i.e. turning from a side road.

Took it to my local Skoda dealer to have it looked at, and I'm told that this is a recognised fault on the gearbox, and requires a clutch change. Has anyone else had a similar problem ? and did the clutch change rectify the fauld ?

Ive been having this problem now for 12000 miles. It has been very intermittant but has got worse. It used to just do it changing from 1st to second but now does it occasionally pulling off in 1st and even reverse. Its booked in for a new clutch pack on the 25th and they want the car for a week. It took 5 weeks for the part to arrive. Ill keep you informed!

I've had the same experience on my 59 elegance for past 18 months. Dealer says nothing wrong its normal for this type of autobox. Come next Jan I expect dealer to say oooh you need a new dsg what a pity its out of warranty!

I've had the same experience on my 59 elegance for past 18 months. Dealer says nothing wrong its normal for this type of autobox. Come next Jan I expect dealer to say oooh you need a new dsg what a pity its out of warranty!

But if you have already reported it within the warranty period then if it needs to be changed then that acts in your favour.

Ian

But if you have already reported it within the warranty period then if it needs to be changed then that acts in your favour.

Ian

Perhaps, but will they repair/replace at no cost to me. I'm not sure I want to take that chance. Time to move on?

I think its inevitable that a largish proportion of dry friction clutch plates will suffer from judder at some stage in its life. Its common to find the problem on conventional manual clutches at high mileages the difference being that we as human beings learn to adapt and even do things to allievate problems. If the problem gets too much we just change the clutch.

The more I read about DSG the more I think they are a moneypit waiting for unsuspecting second hand buyers.

When I was a kid, you could get an exchange recon auto box for as little as £30.

Just got my clutch changed due to similar problems (1.4 tsi dsg, 38000km). Problem gone.

brilliant news, mine goes in tomorrow for the work to be done. How long did they have your car for?

brilliant news, mine goes in tomorrow for the work to be done. How long did they have your car for?

It was suppose to be a one day job but it took two instead. They told me there is a lot of programming that has to be done after changing a clutch. Don`t mind, DSG works smooth as h.... now!

Thank you for all your interest and replies. It's good to hear that those of you who have had the work done are pleased with the result.

My car goes in on Monday next for the clutch to be changed under warranty, and they say that it will take two or three days. I will be loaned a courtesy car while they have my car.

This begs the question now of, will this clutch change be a permanent fix, i.e. will the new clutch be a re-design to eliminate the fault, or is the same problem going to happen again in another two years / 15,000 miles when it's out of warranty ?

What do the rest of you think ?

• 3 years later...

Mine still judders after having had the mechatronics unit replaced (after only 14k miles- but that's another story!).

I've heard it's a 'feature' of this gearbox. My friend has a low mileage VW Passat with the same gearbox and it's started to judder too.

What is it with 'dodgy DSG' threads these days!?

Have Skoda made some of the components out of excess easter chocolate!?

There seems to be a lot doesn't there?!

There seems to be a flurry of 7 speed DSG boxes with juddering in 2nd gear. All seem to be related to a faulty/worn clutch pack.

I think they revised the clutches at some point- I seem to think they just made them thicker to last longer.

Phil