Monte Carlo Quick Questions

Just sold my car so ready to buy a monte carlo :D

I was going to buy new but hear there is a wait for these so there is a 105bhp diesel in black at my local skoda dealer the questions are

Will it be safe for me to use it for short journys as I work 3 miles from home (im too lazy to walk) and do a lot of town driving?

This one is very basic with no options so no maxi-dot but will I still get a mpg reading?

Also I looked at the 105bhp tsi and then this and it seems lower, is the diesel lower than the petrol as I hate the gap on some fabias between the wheel and arch.

I was going to buy new but hear there is a wait for these so there is a 105bhp diesel in black at my local skoda dealer the questions are

Will it be safe for me to use it for short journys as I work 3 miles from home (im too lazy to walk) and do a lot of town driving?

This one is very basic with no options so no maxi-dot but will I still get a mpg reading?

Also I looked at the 105bhp tsi and then this and it seems lower, is the diesel lower than the petrol as I hate the gap on some fabias between the wheel and arch.

Go tsi. All the same sports suspension. I think derv engine heavier so may look lower

No harm in buying the diesel, just take it for a bit of a thrash every now and again. All depends on the deal they're giving you, it may cost more and with the shorter mileages the economy benefits will be less apparent.

I have the 105TSI. Economy is only average at about 43mpg but it's a cracking little engine and would possibly suit shorter mileages better. Good luck

Diesel is no good for you on such short trips, go for the TSI. It's quicker anyway and more nimble in corners because of the lighter engine.

You will still have the MPG reading.

Monties are 15mm lower than standard Fabias on sport suspension, which means firmer damping. They are still relatively high, but you can go lower with aftermarket springs. Be aware that if you do that, the car will probably eat tyres for breakfast.

Glad you have found that Fabia is such a good car. I agree with the other guys, a diesel is not for you on a short commute as Diesel Particulate Filter will get clogged and is not covered under warranty as it's a 'service' item.

If you're not doing more than 12,000 miles per annum the petrol is really good and you don't have to compromise by having to go out for a thrash to clear out a filter.

You should get over 40 mpg once it's run in.

Love my Fabia 2 petrol 1.6.

I do a mixture of miles in my fabia, most weekdays I don't use my car apart from driving to the gym no more than 4-5 miles, the weekends I use it for rather long trips, of 20-300 miles runs and back....so I make up the economy from that. normally though if I only do small trips, it's still more economical than my old 1.4 petrol. so I don't regret buying the diesel at all.

:)

You dont have a DPF to worry about on yours though Leon. Having seen the issues my brother and my dad have had with them on short trips/low mileage use, I have concluded that unless the car runs for 20miles at a time, a new diesel will only give you problems.

DPF's have ruined diesel cars :(

I agree with the above - our Superb's DPF is now blocked due to it being used for short (~7 miles each way daily) and Skoda are trying to avoid repairing it under warranty, they would rather try and charge £1500+ to fit a brand new one.

Suffice to say, Sale of Goods Act has been quoted (I'm sorry but if a DPF blocks that easily then the car is "unift for purpose") and the car may be going.

Finally result, motorline skoda in dartford have some coming in soon so I put my deposit down yesterday for a Black Monte 105tsi so now im very happy as its only a 3 week wait for me! Only thing is I wanted to add maxidot and climate control but my car will not have no options but its a small price to pay to avoid 6 months waiting time :)