1.4PD or 1.6CR

PD75

It's getting about time to change the wife’s 99 petrol Almera. She has put 105,000 miles on her now (145,000 + in total)and petrol goes nowhere. She fancies Octavia’s while I like the Fabia but she would be open to a Fabia combi.

I think there are 3 options.

A)1.4 tdi Combi - I have a 07, mk1 combi 1.4tdi, probably the best all round car I ever had, certainly the most economical. 185,000 trouble free km. so far.

B)1.6 crtdi combi - bit concerned about some reports on poor economy and can't really see the benefit of this engine over the pd apart from not finding the pd in the newest models.

C)Keep the Almera going for another year and hope that the imminent release of the mission l and new Octavia means I could get a Fabia combi or current facelift Octavia at a cheaper price, even though I would probably be restricted to the crtdi engine for a late car with lowish miles.

Have to say that the Almera has been one of the easiest cars I've worked on and I reckon the only thing I might have to look at for a further years ticket is an occasionally "ticking" cv joint.

I would appreciate your opinions.

Either engine is good. I too have the 1422cc PD engine, but the 80ps version. It's brilliant and virtually unburstable as you say. The 1.6cr is a superb engine too. Don't be put off by us lot grinding away at the mpg thing in other threads. Few people ever have a problem of any kind with this engine, it can give much better economy than the PD engines with a huge amount of extra power too. But they are a new generation of diesel car capable of better economy than previous cars so everything needs to be just right to get that good economy, and that includes the driver and his/her technique for driving it. Why not try the 1.6cr for starters and see what you both think of it. I'm sure you won't be disappointed. It may help the decision making process...good luck.

Yes, drive the 1.6 CR - it's a totally different experience to the 1.4 PD and you will be amazed - so much more refined.

Edited by tlx
  • Like 1

I had virtually the last PD engine car beginning 2010. No PD available now in any new models.

I like my PD allthough compared to the CR its noisy, vibrates and needs some thinking to get the best out of it. Sounds a bit like a tractor at times but I am rather fond of it. My economy is excellent regulary getting 65-70 mpg driving normally.

Personal opinion is if you want a smooth engine thats a bit more refined get the CR. I disagree with Estate Man about the economy, many have issues including VW forums with people bemoaning the economy as not whats advertised. Its not bad economy, just not what the book says. People shouldnt need a degree in driving just to get decent economy. If you want a new Skoda its going to be a CR anyway

• Like 1

Keep the Almera running until it cannot be run no more.

I know fuel is not cheap and it is never going to get cheaper and one day petrol/diesel cars could be worthless.

Lets say you buy a 1.4 PD Fabia it is going to be 2 or 3 years old and could in a years time need an MOT no cost saving on the test but the car should just go through.

You will get better running costs I do not know what the MPG is from the Almera I will take a stab at 27mpg or 5.93 mpl. Lets presume the 1.4 TDI cost you £6500 + deposit.

At 142.9p per ltr £6500 is 4548.63 ltrs or 26973.38 miles in the Almera - I estimate that to be about two years motoring.

buy a 1.6CR and you will have to have either a new car or one that is two years or less old and will cost more than the 1.4.

Once the Almera is due for the breakers see what is on the market and what is happening to fuel, you might be able to get a greentec petrol/diesel with variable cylinder technology etc.

Now Skoda are selling more cars in my experience their cars are no better than any other make, When I bought my Citroen I was told it would always break down and never did and I am on my second new Fabia in 24 months. The first car broke down on average every two months with major faults and the replacement is no better just minor problems so i am told oil level gauge and both back doors leaking making the back seats wet. once bitten, twice shy third time never.

• Like 1

Thanks for all your views.

Raisebeck / Tlx / Estate man, I like my PD also and 65mpg would be the norm in mine as well. First car was a side valve prefect with vacuum wipers - ran a type 2 with big bore for years, so noise, vibration and perception of refinement wouldn't really be a big factor in swaying things, must have a drive in a CR and see what there like though.

Have to say I am inclined to go with Dempseks slant of keeping the Almera going a bit longer which was probably always the favourite. I'd already pointed out to herself that every penny spent on a replacement would have been money she could have been filling the tank with. Ran a Corsa D for 7 years and put 190,000 on it cost me nothing really just got bored in the end. Your figures look even worse over here where starting price on a low mileage PD is around 11,500 pretending money.

I did come up with another reason for keeping the Almera as well............. excuse for finally spending some time in the shed to rebuild the CX500 so she can use the Fabia for the longer journeys and I'll use the bike.... :angel:

As has already been mentioned, fuel consumption with the 1.6 CR engine is disappointing. I have had my 18 month old car for 6 months now. I keep a fuel log and it has never done better than 58mpg and through the winter this dropped to 50.

I am old and live in rural Norfolk. I sometimes visit Norwich but most of my driving is done on country roads where the official fuel consumption is over 70mpg.

I had to make a hurried trip to the local hospital A&E a few nights ago and this seems to have helped the fuel consumption a bit (according to the computer) so perhaps I drive too slowly to keep the engine happy.

Also the engine has to have special oil (vw 507 spec.) and it is fussy about the fuel as well.

Having said this, the car is great to drive. Nice steering and handling, plenty of power (the same engine is also used in the Audi A3 and Octavia saloon/estate).

I've never owned a CR engine but have driven then. As others have said, its a more refined engine, but personally speaking, I found the PD engine a bit more punchy ;)

Both engines are superb and if I had the choice I'd stick with the PD. Again, the best thing is to drive both, see what suits your driving style/taste and go from there :thumbup:

Hi Slowbloke, my sister who lives in Suffolk has the 1.6cr and used to get low mpg's. She was using 5th gear too much on country roads where it didn't warrant it. We all have this thing in our heads to get into 'top gear' but it's just not what these modern crop of cars like. It's an overdrive and shouldn't really be used unless doing 60mph plus in my opinion. Ignore the dash lights telling you to change early too. My Sister does nearly all of her week day driving on 'A' and 'B' roads and only goes on the motorways and dual carriageways at weekends, which is now virtually the only time she uses 5th gear. Since changing her style of driving she can easily get 66mpg on summer diesel in her normal driving but in 3rd and 4th gear only. She can hit the 70+mpg in summer. She also gives the engine a good clear out on the motorway every couple of weeks and it's goes much better now all the time.

Some on here don't believe driving style has much if anything to do with how many mpg's you get. But its one of the biggest single factors, and always has been(you prolly know that). It's just that modern cars now are able to hit hyper mpg's but not without the driver learning how to drive it. Small changes in driving style, good or bad, have an expotential effect on mpg. It's fact, it's proven. Of course, topograhy and the sort of journeys you do are also major factors. Someone who lives in a hilly area is never going to get book figures, especially if their journeys are short, in traffic etc etc. One other point, most of owners who post about poor mpg usually find it works out ok after they have become used to the car so don't be alarmed at the number of 'poor mpg' posts you see here or on the VW site. If you contact the postee's several months after they make that first post about poor mpg you tend to find they're ok now and all is well. I know because I've done it. I'm not saying everyone is happy. Some have trouble adapting their driver style, usually the one that have been driving diesels all their lives, but most eventually learn on their own how to drive them. It's a nice engine, I agree Slowbloke. Have fun mate.

Thanks for the suggestions regarding mpg.

I will try what you suggest.

I have to say that I rarely use 5th gear as there are few dual carriageway roads here in Norfolk and 4th is fine on country roads at 60.