locking wheel bolts wont come loose.

my locking wheel nuts wont come loose on mt car. using the key it grips but then pops off. worst thing is its only one sude of the car which is effected!!

help!

I had this happen once on an old Toyota with alloys.

As a general rule I always release the locking nut first.

First tighten up all the standard non-locking nuts/bolts as hard as possible.

Next tightening the locking nut, if possible, and then carefully strike the locking nut with a very sharp blow using a club hammer and a metal drift.

The object of this is to dislodge the locked/seized nut. Some times this works sometimes it ----.

Always worth a try.

I would prefer not to use a spray in case they make the bolt lose. You dont't want the bolts to come lose when you put the bolts back on. Best to wash the wheels and bolt thoroughly before refitting the wheel to rid of any spray left

If the worst comes to the worst and you can't get it free there are special sockets out there that have a reverse thread that you wind onto the nut and as it gets tight onto the locking nut it will allow you to remove it. This is really a last resort however, it does work but usually damages the locking nut too badly to be re-used.

Has the car recently been serviced for any reason?? Have the wheels been taken off at all by anyone other than yourself?? It sounds to me as though someone has got a bit over-zealous with a windy gun on the nuts. Everyone thinks wheel nuts need to be 'super tight'. This just isnt the case, over tightening wheel nuts is just as bad as not tigheting them enough!

-Will :)

I got the dealer to get them off, I couldn't for the life of me get them off, the locking key wouldn't grip the bolts for some reason but they're off now. Huzza.

Little bit of copper grease on the threads next time they come off (Or take a bolt off at a time and do it now)!

If you tighten them properly, they should not come loose until you want them to!