I need to be advised on SLR camera:)

Padrino

Hello peeps,

I've decided to get myself SLR camera. I've been reading around the web over the last several weeks but they are so many different opinions that my head hurts :)

So...the bottom line. I would like to go for "starter" pack, second hand. Something that is reliable and well proven. I need body and lens (lenses) I am running Mac so it would be good if the track record of the camera is good with Apple software.

I know that price could be from down bottom to a small mortgage (Hasselblad comes to mind) however I think that I should start with something around £200 mark. I've been looking at eBay and some early models sell between 150/220.

please bear in mind that I don't really know a lot about different cameras like Nikon, Canon, Pentax etc, so when you make your case please tell me why you think that one is better than the others.

I don't want to start fight here, I just would like to hear different points of view.

Cheers

To be honest the camera bodies from all the main players are great & fairly evenly matched so you can't go too far wrong with any of them

I have canon kit, but if i were starting from scratch I'd probably start with a short list of either Nikon or canon

My advice would be to set your budget then make short list based on reviews (see dpreview.com) & owner feedback (see fredmiranda.com, amazon or warehouseexpress)

Then go to a large camera store & try out some current models similar ton your short list to see how they feel in YOUR own hands & how the ergonomics are for you, that should give you a fair idea of how the older cameras within your budget would work for you

In addition to eBay you could try mpbphotographic or mifsuds both of whom buy & sell 2nd hand kit.

Lastly I'd suggest you base your choice on:

Your budget

How the camera feels to you

The choice of lenses available that suit your pocket & needs

The latter 2 were big contributing factors for my choice of canon, but I'm sure others will have chosen Nikon for similar reasons too

Most keen photographers will also advise you spend more on lenses than on camera bodies, as you're likely to keep these a lot longer than a camera body.

You might also want to consider the software that ships with the camera & if you'll need to budget extra for sw

Hth

Hello peeps,

I've decided to get myself SLR camera. I've been reading around the web over the last several weeks but they are so many different opinions that my head hurts :)

So...the bottom line. I would like to go for "starter" pack, second hand. Something that is reliable and well proven. I need body and lens (lenses) I am running Mac so it would be good if the track record of the camera is good with Apple software.

I know that price could be from down bottom to a small mortgage (Hasselblad comes to mind) however I think that I should start with something around £200 mark. I've been looking at eBay and some early models sell between 150/220.

please bear in mind that I don't really know a lot about different cameras like Nikon, Canon, Pentax etc, so when you make your case please tell me why you think that one is better than the others.

I don't want to start fight here, I just would like to hear different points of view.

Cheers

Padrino

I have a Pentax K-5 and several lenses. I chose it because it was more compact than most other DSLRs, it has image stabilisation in the body (not having to buy the lenses with IS) and it is weather-proof with the kit lens. I see that the kit is available on the Auction Site for around £570, about half what I paid for mine 18 months ago.

My son has a Canon, first a 550D, now a 60D and he does good things with either; but neither Canon nor Nikon cameras have IS in the body and the lenses so equipped are on the pricey side.

I used to use Olympus DSLRs, but they got too expensive. I can recommend the Pentax for all its features, its performance and its "carry ability". Oh and it works with Macs (all image files work with Macs).

Have fun

Chris

Edited by threeshoes

You mention looking for secondhand older model for £200 on eBay. I would suggest (if possible) upping your budget and going for the newer entry level ones because the sensors will be far superior and produce better image quality. Just a thought!

Once you have some model numbers in mind, pop them in here and it will give you a brief side by side rundown of the specs http://snapsort.com/compare

And you can do the same thing here: http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Compare-Camera-Sensors to compare the sensor performance to see which *should* give better image quality, low light performance etc

For what specific reason have you decided to go for a DSLR?

You won't have any issues with a Mac (I use one and am professional photographer) as long as you have software to read the (RAW) file formats off your camera. Most manufacturers supply software with the camera to do this.

This does not apply to JPEG files as any modern computer will be able to view these.

£200 is a tight budget for a lens and body when talking about SLRs especially considering the fact that you could easily spend more than £200 on a standard point and shoot compact digital.

I would recommend canon as I find them easily to work than Nikon who tend to put a lot more buttons on their cameras, canon go with less buttons which make them less confusing in my mind.

After doing a degree in photography I can say I have always preferred canon (biased I know but at least I have tried Nikon as well) a second hand one with a budget of £200 might get you a Canon 350D which is old but still a great camera.

My last advice would be that the most important thing to get the most out of an SLR is the glass you put on it, always buy the best quality lens that you can afford as this will make a big difference to the quality of your shots.

Sigma are a good make of lens for anyone with a slightly tighter budget than the big payers like Nikon and canon.

Loz: Thank you for the links, there is a lot I have to learn but I am up for it :)

KBPhoto: The only reason for me wanting SLR camera is because I plan down the line to get myself some lenses, in other worlds to start building a package.

Boriskoda: After looking at some cameras on Gumtree, eBay etc, I've realized that if I want some half good I need to go at least £280/300.... well if I want to get myself a nice camera this is what I need to do :)

I would recommend canon as I find them easily to work than Nikon who tend to put a lot more buttons on their cameras, canon go with less buttons which make them less confusing in my mind.

This is actually a prime reason why Nikon are better - it's called ergonomics. Canon omit to put any buttons at all down the left had side of the camera, I'm at a loss as to why unless the designer was missing a left thumb! The point of the Nikon buttons is so that all your settings are readily accessible, rather than trawling through menus :thumbup:

(PS I own both a Canon and a Nikon - or three!)

This is actually a prime reason why Nikon are better - it's called ergonomics. Canon omit to put any buttons at all down the left had side of the camera, I'm at a loss as to why unless the designer was missing a left thumb! The point of the Nikon buttons is so that all your settings are readily accessible, rather than trawling through menus :thumbup:

(PS I own both a Canon and a Nikon - or three!)

Touchè !

Ah the old Nikon canon debate, canon uses half the buttons that Nikon does but still has the same functionality of Nikon, you just have to hold a button which then makes each button perform a secondary function. As I say... Canon is my personal preference, both are equally matched though :)

• Like 1

That's also debatable, but we won't go there ;) haha! But really, there is NO excuse for the positioning of the Canon on/off switch!! :giggle:

Edited by Loz
  • Like 1

Canon omit to put any buttons at all down the left had side of the camera, I'm at a loss as to why unless the designer was missing a left thumb! The point of the Nikon buttons is so that all your settings are readily accessible, rather than trawling through menus

You have used both, so I am not going to argue. But I will disagree.

Both my Canon SLR's (5D and 20D) have a series of buttons down the left. Without checking, I think it is only the 'cheaper' Canons that don't. Any of the 2 digit (e.g. 60D) or 1 digit (e.g. 5D) Canon's do.

KBPhoto: The only reason for me wanting SLR camera is because I plan down the line to get myself some lenses, in other worlds to start building a package.

If that's the only reason, then why not look at the CSC's (Compact System Camera's) such as Olympus Pen's / Panasonic Lumix GX 1 / Samsung NX200 / etc.

Yes KB, I'm sure you are right, I assumed that the higher end models MUST make use of this space, however ALL Nikons have said easy access buttons - why penalise those who don't want a 5D?

rear view of my two entry level cameras:

Canon:

http://americanmovieco.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/canoneos1000d_rear.jpg

Nikon:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d80/images/d80-rear-D3S_2246-950.jpg

I wont compare the D300 alongside these, thats just not fair! haha!

That's also debatable, but we won't go there ;) haha! But really, there is NO excuse for the positioning of the Canon on/off switch!! :giggle:

Yeh I didn't mention it before but mine is a 5D and does have buttons on the left of the screen.... I think as far as the canon/ Nikon debate goes everyone should just agree to disagree :)

Cough.... Canon rule.... Cough :p

If that's the only reason, then why not look at the CSC's (Compact System Camera's) such as Olympus Pen's / Panasonic Lumix GX 1 / Samsung NX200 / etc.

OK....this is a whole new ball game :)

Why I should consider the type of camera you have suggested above vs SLR??

I would be grateful for your professional point of view.

Yeh I didn't mention it before but mine is a 5D and does have buttons on the left of the screen.... I think as far as the canon/ Nikon debate goes everyone should just agree to disagree :)

Cough.... Canon rule.... Cough :p

*ahem* don't think so...

LOL! :rofl:

Sorry Padrino, enough with the silly business!!

Smaller / lighter and more powerful than most of the entry level SLR's.

Take the Samsung NX200 for example:

• 20mp APS-C sensor (high resolution and same size as nearly all entry resolution DLSR's),
  • 7fps, mirrorless (one less mechanical thing to go wrong),
  • image stabilization built into the camera,
  • 116.5 x 62.5 x 36.6mm (excluding the projection part),
  • 220.4g (without battery and memory card),
  • full HD video,
  • display shows 100% of what your picture will.

And did I mention that it's smaller, lighter and will fit in your jacket pocket (depending upon which lens you have on it)?

I've just bought an Olympus EP-3 (micro 4/3 sensor, so smaller than the APS-C ones) and it now lives in my glovebox and gets carried most places with me. If I took my DSLR, I'd also take a couple of lenses and a flashgun, which all weighs quite a bit when you are trying to run around after the kids at a zoo!

Loz, Loz, Loz... arguing about "crappy" Cannon... and you give me crap for going on about how crap iPads are...

:rofl:

Personally, I think 20mp is overkill. One of the main reasons I didn't go for the Samsung (the other being a limited lens range).

But I like the idea of the larger sensor (shallower depth of field at same aperture settings) and, in (basic) theory, a larger sensor with less pixels (photosites) will suffer less from noise at higher ISO.

Downside is that you need a more powerful computer to process / display the pics and more storage space, both in the camera (memory cards) as well as at home (hard drives in computers or servers).

If you spoonerise (if that's a word) Canon and Nikon, you still have Nikon and Canon. By that logic, they are as good as each other!

One thing I don't have problem is the computer :) 1TB drive and Intel Core I5 with 8gb ram for a start :) plus additional 2X500GB hard drives as plug and play :)

Yeh, Loz, lets not high jack the thread to talk canon vs nikon :p

I agree, a compact system might be a better way to go.. but I think a compact (more modern) camera system is going to bump the price up a lot. Especially later on when you are buying lens. In my opinion I would go with a cheaper (slightly older) second hand SLR, which even if it only 8MP will give better quality results than a 12MP compact as the digital sensor is much larger and gives you much better quality per MP (hope you follow that).

The Olympus EP-L1 can still be had (new) for £250 - and has essentially the same sensor as the latest and top of the range EP-3.

From personal experience, this is more than good enough for most people in most situations and will, in most situations, match the performance of a 5 year old DSLR in most areas.

Yes, it is a compromise in some situations and contexts, but does the OP need a 'heavier' camera that will perform in those few situations or a lighter camera that will work just as well in the majority of situations.

Hence my question as to what the OP would be using the camera for...

• Like 1

The Olympus EP-L1 can still be had (new) for £250 - and has essentially the same sensor as the latest and top of the range EP-3.

From personal experience, this is more than good enough for most people in most situations and will, in most situations, match the performance of a 5 year old DSLR in most areas.

Yes, it is a compromise in some situations and contexts, but does the OP need a 'heavier' camera that will perform in those few situations or a lighter camera that will work just as well in the majority of situations.

Hence my question as to what the OP would be using the camera for...

I appreciate your input very much. To answer your question. I will use the camera mainly for my own needs, taking photos of any kind, from portraits to landscapes etc. As I've mentioned earlier I am noob regarding good photography and this is something I would like to develop. Learning about different ways of improving composing the shots, manipulating the shots afterword using my Mac etc.

In a few words photography is something I have always been fascinating with, but now I would like to learn more and do more, no just to admire some great pictures I've seen but other people have taken :) I want my own.