power steering adjustment

Thanks all! Yes it's a Monte

No it's genuine gear and I'm pretty clued up with VCDS, I'm an ex-VW dealer tech now running my own garage.

It let's me in and accepts the code change for all the above variations as I hit " Do It", but physically doesn't change the coding you see in the ECU's window. Very odd.

I'll try the Diagnostics section and see if anyone has any ideas. My only thought was it might need a Login code for certain models? Or just that my model can't do it?

• Like 1

Oh, I thought it was a vRS and that's why it sounded so strange, a really simple procedure actually. Maybe it's the Monte indeed that doesn't support heavier settings if what Gazbull's dealer is correct.

• 7 months later...

Can someone pls give details about tha programming of the steering wheel. I have changed my tyres with 185/60/15 winter tyres contintental ts 850, but the steering will is to light for my preferences. I went to the local skoda but they did not give me a solution. If i have a complete guide it will be easier to convince them thats its possible. Thanks in advance for your prompt reply

A step by step guide would only be useful If dealers used VCDS which isn't the case so I don't know what good will it do showing them a list of steps and instructions which they can't reproduce using their own software. In fact, iirc there's been quite a few dealers saying they can't do anything about steering assistance so maybe it's only adjustable via VCDS really? Looking for someone with that tool nearby is not a bad idea probably.

The Dealership Workshop should be able to make the Setting Change to your Steering Assistance Adjustment.

Skoda have the Assistance with a 'Disability / Mobility ' setting so that drivers with Disabilities can have Lighter Steering,

and more Brake Assistance.

So they go to do that, but instead of changing the Factory Steering Assistance setting to Lighter.   'More Assistance'

they set for 'Less Assistance'.

Going down from 205 tyres to 185 is still going to feel pretty light though, even with less Steering Assistance.

george

Edited by goneoffSKi

But can they actually set a certain amount of assistance or only select a preset? Because it's another thing being able to set x percent of assistance and another to just set a "Disability / Mobility" mode on and off. One doesn't imply the other and vice versa. Even through VCDS, you don't get to actually enter the exact amount of assistance you want, you just have 6-7 presets to choose from and they generally are enough for all tastes. But the options a dealer has that I don't know, From what I've read I don't recall anyone having set a "heavier" wheel through their dealers.

Edited by newbie69

I am always at setting 20 and I don't see myself changing it. As for screenshots it's all through vcds so you can't go wrong If you follow the instructions. PM me if you need more help as it's been some time now and I don't remember the process by heart.

I did, and it's still left at that setting, not sure I got your question...

• 4 years later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi everyone :-) 

I have a Skoda Fabia 2003 1.4 estate. I have a disability which makes it hard to turn the wheel on my car.

I need the steering to have more assistance. So its easier to operate the wheel. I would like to do this myself without paying for dealer to do it. It it very difficult to know what tool I need and if it will be able to change the setting on my car.

I found this listing? https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Cable-KKL-VAG-COM-409-1-OBD2-II-OBD-Diagnostic-Scanner-VW-Audi-Seat-VCDS/292561292715?_trkparms=aid%3D888007%26algo%3DDISC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131227121020%26meid%3Dba4b66f66a734467a328e71ba9188f05%26pid%3D100009%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26sd%3D222731644761%26itm%3D292561292715&_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982

It does not say anywhere in the listing that you need windows Vista or older to make it work. Does someone know what I should do?

Edited by Lupi13

• 1 year later...

I have been experimenting with these settings lately.

The stock setting on my Ibiza fr was 21. Seems the most balanced so far. 

I tried setting 41. It seems way too light ! Too much assist ! 

Setting 20 was a bit heavier than stock at low speed, i liked it.

Another interesting setting was 81. Its like turning off the assist. The feel on high speed corners is perfect but its annoying in city driving. If it was just a bit more assisted in low speed it would be perfect. 

I will try setting 40 within the next few days.