SH1TE! :sweat:

I have been told by 2 independent garages that my bottom end has gone :( that or ive cracked a piston !

This happened very strangely! i had just come off the motorway and everything is normal at this point, i pull into a petrol station to fuel up, i jump back into the car and start it........ and this is when the horrible knocking noise stared. :(

its almost unnoticeable when the engine is idling, but as soon as you give it a little rpm it sounds terrible.

now i can understand how this has happened?

ive always used proper PD oil and is regularly serviced.

the only aftermarket parts on the car is the KW Suspension kit and the Valeo solid flywheel kit.

now one of the garages i took the car to said that the solid flywheel "may" have contributed to the bottom end going!

they said that a dual mass flywheel take up the stress and balances the bottom end!

now i wasnt really sure about that as i know there are alot of people out there running solid flywheel kits.

Soooo...... Does anyone happen to know of any Good engine reconditioners?

im also going to phone skoda tomorrow to see how much an engine would cost from them.

Also can i ask, what makes an AWX engine an AWX engine? i assume it is just the ancillaries and the engine blocks across all the 1.9tdi PD engines are the same? am i right in thinking this?

i thought if looked after these engines were bullet proof. :S

Unfortunatly **** happens any engine can give up the ghost Lately I have seen a PD engine destroy the cam shaft and followers sounded like a bag of bolts it had the correct oil and was never abused. I would suggest that because in general the awx engine is bullet proof and is used in lots of the VW range of cars that rather than reconditioning the engine you check with the breakers there are loads of good quality engines out there at good money with low milage

rather than reconditioning the engine you check with the breakers there are loads of good quality engines out there at good money with low milage

Im finding it quite difficult to source a decent mileage awx engine. does it have to be an awx engine or can it be any 1.9 PD engine?

what about this AVF engine ? im asking as this seems to be mounted differently in whatever vehicle its currently fitted to, will this cause any problems?

or is it a case of stripping all the ancillaries from this AVF engine and using all from my AWX for it to fit into the superb ?

It's not straightforward swapping an AVF for an AWX as the anciliaries are differently mounted and the AVF has no engine driven fan. There is only one auxiliary drive belt (6 rib) and the compressor is mounted on the opposite side of the engine.

Moving the compressor plumbing and fitting the fan for the AVF would be out of the question on an old car. None of the transverse engines will fit as the mountings and other details are different.

Find another AWX. Why did the first one fail?

rotodiesel.

Find another AWX. Why did the first one fail?

rotodiesel.

yes im thinking only AWX now.

as mentioned i took the car to 2 independent garages, both said the same thing... bottom end gone! and possibly a cracked piston!

ive no time to look into it myself as im on the road all day everyday.

These AWX engines are seeming pretty hard to come by. im trying to find one with lower miles than what mine had (98000).

If you do a complete long block like for like swap. Make sure you take apart the old one to investigate the issue as I wouldn't be surprised if it is something else. Or at least take it apart to raise some revenue against the new engine. The heads, complete with cam and injectors, etc, are worth a fair amount on their own, even detached from the bottom end.

• Like 1

i pull into a petrol station to fuel up, i jump back into the car and start it........ and this is when the horrible knocking noise stared. :(

Stupid question I know, but I don't suppose it's possible that whatever you put in the tank is causing the problem? Water in the diesel tank at the garage perhaps? Contaminated or wrong fuel?

Big ends would make a horrible row at tickover as the pistons are still going up and down 800 times per minute. I don't know what a cracked piston sounds like.

If you do a complete long block like for like swap. Make sure you take apart the old one to investigate the issue as I wouldn't be surprised if it is something else. Or at least take it apart to raise some revenue against the new engine. The heads, complete with cam and injectors, etc, are worth a fair amount on their own, even detached from the bottom end.

yes mate, im definitely going to investigate what went wrong with the engine, maybe i'll turn it into a rebuild project, maybe i'll split it for parts to recoupe some money.

Ok ive managed to find a superb which has been stood for 2 years due to accident damage, ive bought the awx engine which only has 36000 miles on it.

the engine is coming out of an 05 plate where as my car is a 56 plate, will there be any differences between the engines? ie cambelt tensioner as im sure ive heard that there are 2 different setup for the awx?

also where would the best place for me to get bits like manifold gaskets etc? what brand should i go with as i want good solid stuff not flimsy rubbish.

Lastly can someone confirm what coolant/antifreeze i require and what grade oil should i use? http://www.opieoils....engine-oil.aspx

am i right in thinking....

505.01 for fixed servicing and 507.00 for variable servicing? i personally like changing my oil every 4000miles.

Here's a few search results from http://www.ebay.de

http://www.ebay.de/i...#ht_3059wt_1139 (106250 miles) 1 month warranty. £1218,07

http://www.ebay.de/i...5#ht_824wt_1163 (57437,5 miles) 12 months warranty. £990,70

http://www.ebay.de/i...#ht_1129wt_1163 (87007,50 miles) £1218,07

Edit: Didn't notice your last post... :-)

Edited by Cown

Just thinking what if the new flywheel was a bit out of balance and wore out the rear main bearing?

I know it's a completely different engine, but it is relatively common on Saab V6 3.0 tdi unit (GM-Isuzu power plant) that the DMF/clutch gets worn, hence throws the flywheel/clutch assembly out of balance, and this in turn creates a powerful rotating couple around the rear of the crank and wears the rearmost main bearing out fairly quickly!!

Having said that, I would not necessarily trust a garage! Get a new engine in and get it back on the road, then strip the engine for a full failure investigation.

And let us know why you find - this is an interesting one as 1.9 tdi seems to be quite Nuclear-proof.

Are you sure you did not drive it at low oil level - motorways are where this causes most damage due to high revs and high levels of oil aeration.

Are you sure you have the correct dipstick in it? It is not unknown for the dipstick to fall out (maybe if at some point the crankcase pressurises for whatever reason) and the owner just finds another 1.9 tdi dipstick, maybe from a different model car, with a completely different sump (lots of different 1.9 tdis about). This might result in an incorrect oil level - you could perhaps compare the two dipsticks new vs old engine?

Finally, and sorry to brag on, did you then drive the car home or get it towed? If you did indeed drive it home, and it still hasn't seized, then it might not be that terminal... failed bearings generally tend to seize up within not too many miles after initially picking up.

Before doing anything to the old engine, drain all the oil out of it and measure volume, is it as much as expected? If you have a lab nearby, you could consider sending off for analysis, a bearing pick up will easily get flagged. If you are struggling, I could perhaps help you with that...

Well i "DROVE" the car to my mechanics place today. i cant understand why its still running? at idle there no knocking noise but as soon as i apply a little revs the knocking becomes apparent... but it still drives.

now it has been mentioned by a few people that my valeo solid mass flywheel conversion may have been the contributing factor IF its the crankshaft thats failed.

Has anyone heard of SMF damaging the crankshaft?

alot of mechanics are saying that vag would not throw X amount of money down the drain developing a DMF if there wasnt a reason for it to be there.

they went on to say that these PD engine are under alot of pressure and the DMF acts as a dampener for the crank and gearbox.

This has made me think.... do cars have a crank pulley dampener thing? as im sure before the time of DMF when all cars where fitted the SMF they also had some type of dampener fitted inbetween the crank and flywheel? does that sound right?

now im unsure weather to remove the Valeo SMF and fit a Sachs DMF kit.. but ill wait and see what the mechanic finds tomorrow when he takes the engine out.

out of interest, what DMF brand would you folks recommend? LUK?, SACHS?, VALEO? etc... and where to buy?

im just wondering.... could the knocking possibly be coming from the gearbox?

Im lost at the moment :wall:

Keep us updated!

no problem :thumbup:

whoever said these engines are bomb proof needs to think again :wonder:

i actually phoned skoda today to ask if they offer a solid flywheel conversion for there vehicles? they said they do carry out solid flywheel conversions on a few models But nothing for the superb 1.9 130pd.! this confused me even more! i noted that the models that were stated were all of a lower bhp than the 130pd.

anyway ive gone a bought a LUK Dualmass kit now.

will keep you updated.

I had my flywheel converted under warranty at 35K to a solid flywheel and a new clutch from my Skoda dealer.They were authorised by SUK to do this as they are converting many now due to high volumes of DMF failures.

I have done 16K now and have had no problems at all.The engine is smoother,no vibration or noises and much better mpg.I don,t get any more clutch judder when cold and no more engine shaking.

TBH i doubt that its your SMF conversion thats done this to your engine as so many of us Octavia 1.9 diesel owners have had this done including a taxi driver who has done 190,000 so far and his SMf was fitted 60,000+ miles ago.They have also fitted the same as you the Valeo SMF kit so i don,t see the problem.

Theres lots of people out there telling horror stories of SMF,s breaking crankshafts and blowing bottom ends but until they have it fitted they wouldn,t know like us who have.

Glad you have found a new engine and good luck with the swap.Keep us posted on what went wrong with your original engine.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

well i now have a fully working car again, its actually alot smoother than my previous engine with only 36,000miles :) i also blanked off the egr pipe as i was horrified by the amount of sticky dirty **** in the inlet manifold. but now im left with the engine light on.

Does anyone know the procedure of how to delete the egr from the engine management.?

As for finding out the source of the loud knocking... ive not managed to find anything yet.

at the moment ive only took the sump off, also the crank caps and rod caps to check the bearings, i had a look under the rocker cover to check the cam, and all seen to be fine, there is no damage to anything ive checked so far.

the only thing left is to remove the head.

i can only think that the cause of my engine failure "Maybe" and cracked ringland which in turn may mean a knackered head and poss cyl bore damage.

i haven't the time to strip the engine down at the moment but i will keep you all updated.

raj

Sounds great mate. I'm not sure about the engine management light. A friend of mine helped me fixing it via VAG com. I'll try to find out for you.

Update:

Ive only had time to wip the head off the old engine today.

i was hoping to find some damage... but nothing! the head is 100% good. as for the pistons,the crowns are ok just a little coked up.

next step is to wip the sump off and push the pistons out.

Hmm could it be the ringlands on the piston or conrod failure.? or even oil pump! i wonder!

So i asked my friend about the EGR blocking. I had no idea that he was making money on it by "disabling it" via VAG programming. Obviously he's not interested in sharing the secrets of doing so.