high brake light - faulty

Hi

My 2007 1.4 Roomster2's high brake light has failed. I understand its a LED one so its a replacement unit as opposed to changing bulb. Can anyone suggest where i can get this part and how to change it.

Cheers

Before you do anything, read the post about intermittent faults on rear wiper. You might have the same problem with a broken wire to the light fitting.

It can be easily checked with an electrical test meter. Remove the cover and check for a 12 volt supply when the footbrake is pressed.

I took the light out yesterday and disconnected it. I checked the 12v supply on the connector/wires but the multimeter didn't read anything so I assume the 'bulb' is ok but no power getting to it.

I took the cover off the wires but couldn't see any obvious breaks/damage. As I say, the wiper&wash is ok but not sure if the rear demister is working so I guess its just a fault in the brake line.

I don't think I can do much else so I guess its a trip to garage to fix it?

• 2 weeks later...

Semi-related question, what sort of rear lights does a roomster have? Isn't it 1 high brake light, and a total of 4 lights in the two side pillars? Mine has 3 working ones, two on the right and one on the left. It seems to me that there is a dead bulb, but it just passed its MOT. Could this be because, as the tech said, it was the first Roomie he'd ever tested, and he missed out, or does it only have 3 pillar lights as standard?

Semi-related question, what sort of rear lights does a roomster have? Isn't it 1 high brake light, and a total of 4 lights in the two side pillars? Mine has 3 working ones, two on the right and one on the left.

There is 2 position light at each side. Then there is total of 3 break lights, one on each side and one the middle.

Position lights has nothing to do with break lights. Position / Side lights uses W5W bulbs, where a break light on the two sides is a P21 (can remember the type)

Edited by Togo

There is 2 position light at each side. Then there is total of 3 break lights, one on each side and one the middle.

Position lights has nothing to do with break lights. Position / Side lights uses W5W bulbs, where a break light on the two sides is a P21 (can remember the type)

So then, as i have only 3 position lights coming on, i must have a dead bulb. Oh well, luckily it passed MOT so i may just wait till next service to get it changed... I'm leery of doing stuff myself, not familiar enough with it yet to be comfortable with it)

So then, as i have only 3 position lights coming on, i must have a dead bulb. Oh well, luckily it passed MOT so i may just wait till next service to get it changed... I'm leery of doing stuff myself, not familiar enough with it yet to be comfortable with it)

Well it is an easy DIY job. Open the boot lid, use a torx T20 (or was it T15?) undo the 2 torx screws at the light tower/silo. Take the light silo out, disconnect the electronic. The two positions lights is the first to wires. No other needs to be undone.

It probably passed because the MOT only requires one brake light on each side.

• 2 weeks later...

All bulbs need to be working for the MOT (excluding front fog lights) so the tester either missed it or it failed after the MOT.

The bulb type and fitting instructions are detailed in the owners manual.

... and at least in my MY2011 Roomster the tool that works for removing the rear light silos came with the car, it's a tool looking like an L with the appropriate torx in one end, and a standard screwdriver on the other,

All bulbs need to be working for the MOT (excluding front fog lights) so the tester either missed it or it failed after the MOT.

The bulb type and fitting instructions are detailed in the owners manual.

I'm inclined to believe he missed it, as I knew they were out beforehand, but figured if it was going to fail i might as well know of any other issues at the same time and get them all done at once after the fail.

Might try my hand at changing them myself then