crunch in reverse, is it normal? Is reverse gear (not)synchronised?

Quick question to fellow Roomster owners: do you ever experience crunch going into reverse gear? Is reverse gear synchronised? (I know the forward five gears are)

Ours occassionally crunches (but goes into gear), but since the car is only 200+ miles old, it could be me not pushing the clutch in all the way.

My Octavia and Superb both had reverse gear synchro and never ever crunched in reverse.

I am capable of doing gear linkage adjustment, but all other gears work perfectly. If the reverse is not synchronised, perhaps the adjustment is not worth the hassle.

Thanks,

It's not worth to readjust linkage then, it'll crunch from time to time.

Any idea if current Octavias and Superbs have synchronised reverse? Or has this feature been dropped across entire Skoda range?

I was told that if you put your car into reverse too fast after pulling out of 1st or whatever then it will make a crunch because they are out of sync and something is still spinning or whatever.

Passat B5.5 and Superb Mk1 6-spd box definitely had syncro on reverse, Octavia Mk1 6-spd (PD130) gearbox also had synchronised reverse. Let's not argue if it is constant mesh or fully synced, but basically these 2 boxes do not crunch in reverse and engage very smoothly.

I got so used to no crunch that I forgot most other boxes have straight cut gear.

As there is only one reverse gear, synch is not needed, You will always be stationary and in neutral when you select reverse.

True if stopped for 3+ seconds However, when doing 3-point or even 5-point turns (corner garage), you hardly ever wait that long and the shafts are still spinning hence occasional crunch.

Edited by dieselV6

Coming from an Octavia 5 speed gearbox to my new Roomster 1.2TSI 5 speed gearbox. I feel that it is more difficult to engage reverse then in my Octavia. When I start the car and want in reverse gear, I some time have to try 2 or 3 times before I succeed. But no crunch sound/noise as if you are trying to select gear with out using the clutch.

Thanks for replies.

Just to give you an idea how things look on Octavia and Superb 6-spd boxes (well at least the Mk1 models), you can be going forward at 5mph and still put the car smoothly in reverse gear (without crunching at all) and control speed with the clutch (first clutch disc acts as a brake for a split moment) . Not that it's recommended to use the car like that, it just shows how much comfort benefit fully meshed gears give.

Edited by dieselV6