Finally got me octavia, question regarding built in sat nav

Righto, finally got me hands on me new Octavia, its a "cappucino" coloured versh, 1.4TSI SE, 7,500 miles on the clock. I had some parking sensors fiited by the garage, marlborough motors in Isleworth in west London, that have a visual display thats mounted above the rear window and comprises of a set of amber, green and red lights that change colour the closer you get to an obstacle, works extremely well too along with the aural warning. Well pleased with it so far, only had it since Saturday afternoon but managed to take it out on Sunday for an 80 mile round trip, very impressive on the motorway, reasonably quiet, good road holding, steering adequate (seems to be a point of criticism on these cars on some reviews I've read) and I still can't get over the fact that the engine is only a 1.4 litre, well pleased here.

Anyways, as this car doesn't have a built in double din display sat nav unit, just the "Bolero" thingy, I'd like to upgrade to something that has at least satnav and a decent sounding stereo. Blue tooth and mp3 options aren't really important but I suppose I could get used to them, as said, all I want/ need is a double din radio and sat nav unit. Is there a particular brand/ manufacturer that ppl here would recommend? which ones are the easiest to fit? give the best "bang for buck" as it were? Reliability, ease of use and simple on screen graphics are really what I need too.

Any suggestions, options, opinions would be appreciated.

Theoretically then, the columbus unit should fit easily with the existing wiring loom supplied with a 2011 Octavia SE model. I would assume things like the gps antenna would come supplied with the unit? One other thing, does this unit allow the driver to listen to the radio while using the sat nav with the directions being voiced on top of the radio audio? I must admit it seems a bit daft to me to only be able to use one function at a time.

Edited by Eltel

Theoretically then, the columbus unit should fit easily with the existing wiring loom supplied with a 2011 Octavia SE model. I would assume things like the gps antenna would come supplied with the unit?

Yep, plug and play, you would just need a new fasica which is cheap if you have the black surround

• 2 weeks later...

Ok ppl looks like I'm going to be getting a columbus MFD3 unit, but I have few questions:

Whats the battery drain situation with these units (MFD3 type) as the info available seems a bit ambiguous to me?

Considering me car is a 2011 SE mk II octy, will this unit enable me to have some control of it using the controls on the lighting stalk (maxidot thing)?

Does it enable you have the radio/cd playing and sat nav in use at the same time, ie: listening to music then the sat nav cuts in to advise of direction change, etc, that sort of thing?

Anything sle i should be aware of regarding fitting, parts needed etc?

Since your car is so new, you won´t experience any draining of your battery - at least not from the Columbus :)

If your car has MaxiDOT, you will be able to get navigation instructions on the display.

Yes, you can listen to music and navigate at the same time. The volume of the music will be lowered when it´s reading you instructions.

If your car already has the Bolero (sell it to me - cheap ;) ) you will only need a Columbus and a GPS antenna. (and a little coding with VCDS)

Edited by GaSelle

Since your car is so new, you won´t experience any draining of your battery - at least not from the Columbus :)

If your car has MaxiDOT, you will be able to get navigation instructions on the display.

Yes, you can listen to music and navigate at the same time. The volume of the music will be lowered when it´s reading you instructions.

If your car already has the Bolero (sell it to me - cheap ;) ) you will only need a Columbus and a GPS antenna. (and a little coding with VCDS)

I assume the Maxidot is the small area between the rev tacho and speedo that gives info regarding mileage, gear position, trip computer, wether your doors open, etc \Theres also a switch on the lighting stalk that moves between various mileage/ fuel consumption/journey time figures, etc If it is then yes, I got maxidot

• 1 month later...

Update to the thread, I have the option of getting hold of an earlier columbus unit an "MFD2" version and was wondering about compatibility with one of these units (older) out of a 2007 octy being installed and used in a 2011 octy. Any pitfalls, suggestions, opinions?

Cheers.

I assume the Maxidot is the small area between the rev tacho and speedo that gives info regarding mileage, gear position, trip computer, wether your doors open, etc \Theres also a switch on the lighting stalk that moves between various mileage/ fuel consumption/journey time figures, etc If it is then yes, I got maxidot

Maxidot is a bit more than that. IIRC you can hold the button on the bottom of the wiper-stalk and get in to many many other options. Otherwise it'll be the standard display, full height, but nowhere near as many options.