Columbus Video in Motion Hack

Found that the system files can be hacked to change the speed of the video in motion 'safety feature' of 5MPH.

I have run the hack on mine and it seems to have worked (won't know fully until i do a road test).

This is an ideal mod for anyone with passengers and/or children who get easily bored in the car. (I don't condone this mod for the drivers benefit).

I followed the instructions as posted here for the RNS510 and it worked fine on my Columbus:

http://www.customobsessions.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=38827

The only thing i didn't do was reset the unit as it isn't always neccessary.

RECODE_VIM_Berto89.zip

• Like 1

This is an ideal mod for anyone with passengers and/or children who get easily bored in the car. (I don't condone this mod for the drivers benefit).

LOL

There is absolutely no way that a driver could not get distracted by this. "Oh I won't watch it" is complete BS. It is there, it is in your line of vision and you will glance at it.

Do make sure you quickly switch it off should you ever get pulled - the police I'm sure would also believe the "but I wasn't looking at it, it doesn't distract me" story.

This is one of the silliest "hacks" I've ever heard of. There is a good reason why there is a speed limit for the video. I rate this "hack" at the same level as one to disable my brakes and all the air bags.

Hi jrw

Are you sure you haven't provided a link to the file that restores VIM to factory settings?

Hashi

The zip contains both the mod and restore files.

I have tested it and it works fine.

LOL

There is absolutely no way that a driver could not get distracted by this. "Oh I won't watch it" is complete BS. It is there, it is in your line of vision and you will glance at it.

Do make sure you quickly switch it off should you ever get pulled - the police I'm sure would also believe the "but I wasn't looking at it, it doesn't distract me" story.

This is one of the silliest "hacks" I've ever heard of. There is a good reason why there is a speed limit for the video. I rate this "hack" at the same level as one to disable my brakes and all the air bags.

Yep, exactly the same as:

Entering a Navi destination

Looking at the map

Looking at Compass/Satelites/longitude/latidude

Looking at Traffic messages

Navigating through MP3 Lists

Tuning Radio

Reading a SMS on the Maxidot/columbus

Browsing the phonebook

Dialing a number

Entering Setup

etc

etc

......Are all distractions the same as VIM. And this is just from the Columbus unit without anything else in the car and/or passengers.

If you don't like it, don't do it, simple really, common sense really. If you are easily distracted there are a million and one other things that will distract you in your car out on the road before VIM would do.

Also worth nothing that aftermarket units and Chinese Columbus clones have VIM enabled.

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

The hack is known to be good, however VIM is illegal. A lorry driver was recently banned for 6 months because he had a DVD on in his cab, it really is not worth the risk. In the dark its obvious to any passing car that a DVD is playing, and if that car is a police one you could face charges of driving without due care / attention, dangerous driving etc.

The columbus has a video out on the back to feed uninterupted video to rear seat passengers if need be.

• 1 year later...

Hello Guys,

Finally got my Video In Motion working on the 2010 superb after numerous tries.

Downloaded poweriso on my laptop.    free version

Downloaded the VIM_berto89 software. Only burn the VIM_Berto89 software onto the disc as there was a recode_berto89 software also. This is the software to put the Columbus 510 back to original settings.

Burnt it to a CD-R disc using poweriso software at speed 4+.  I tried burning it with isoburn and the windows burning software before I used poweriso and it didn't work with there software programs.

Go out to car

Didn't start the car

Press power button on Columbus

Insert the disc,

It start going through some error on disc, but leave it and it starts automatically to download software SWL.

It came up on mine as a software downgrade and ejected the cd, I pressed the 3 buttons together    EJECT - MIC - SETUP

Then It automatically sucked the disc back into the unit and begain the software update. Took about 2 mins.

It askes you to press OK on the software update half way through it, So just press the ok button and wait the 2 mins. It ejects the disc after a while then after restarting itself a few times, pull out the disc and it re-starts the Columbus head unit. Left it alone for another 2 mins.

My Columbus unit turned itself off when it was finished, the screen remained black. I just pressed the power button again and it started up, I inserted a DVD and played it.

Started the car and drove down the road. Happy days DVD was still playing.

Happy Motoring and be safe while driving with this feature on the car. Also it is illegal to drive with this feature so turn off the DVD if the Garda are around.

I love it.

"Turn it off if the police are around".

You're one and only concern is "not getting caught" and to hell with the fact that you are a distracted driver, not fully in control of a lot of metal that has the ability to massively change or end someone's life.

Thankfully you appear to be in Ireland and there is very little chance I will be forced to share the same roads as you. You are unfortunately "all that is wrong" with many drivers today where the only concern is not getting caught - not being safe.

• Like 1

The columbus has a video out on the back to feed uninterupted video to rear seat passengers if need be.

I didn't realise the columbus had a video out? Can you play a dvd to a rear screen whilst displaying another source on the headunit? Have been thinking of replacing my bolero unit and wanted one that could drive rear screens but didn't think the columbus would do that.

Columbus will drive rear screens while the sat nav ( or other) shows on the HU itself.

Not cheap though as you need an additional 'decoder' box.

The startup picture can be changed for free quite easily. There is a thread on here with details on how.

VIM can also be enabled for free with software as updating the firmware usually enables the hidden menu and VIM anyway.

I do not condone VIM and I have a 'hack' to disable it which I use after updating firmware.

Guest ProfesorDeBuceo

I love it.

"Turn it off if the police are around".

You're one and only concern is "not getting caught" and to hell with the fact that you are a distracted driver, not fully in control of a lot of metal that has the ability to massively change or end someone's life.

Thankfully you appear to be in Ireland and there is very little chance I will be forced to share the same roads as you. You are unfortunately "all that is wrong" with many drivers today where the only concern is not getting caught - not being safe.

I have to agree wholeheartedly.

Some hacks(?) are "can do", others "may do" but this is just a "No bl****y way do!".