Clarkey's 56 Plate Fabia vRS

Clarkey666

Hi All,

I’ve finally got round to getting this up here after buying the car in August last year. I may have missed some of the specs, but here is what I know:

Engine

· GT25 Turbo.

· Uprated Actuator & Anti-Surge System.

· Custom Jabbasport Exhaust Manifold.

· Custom Jabbasport Downpipe.

· Blueflame Catback Exhaust.

· Uprated MAF.

· Pro Alloy Front Mount Intercooler.

· Snow Performance Stage 2 Diesel Boost Cooler Kit (Water/Methanol Injection).

· Jabbasport Induction Kit (Cone In a Box).

· Jabbasport Custom Remap.

Transmission

· Helix Clutch Kit.

· Jabbasport Lightened & Balanced Single Mass Flywheel (SMF).

· Peloquin Limited Slip Differential (LSD).

Handling

· Brakes- 312mm fronts and 256mm rears.

· Jabbasport Rear Anti Roll Bar.

· Koni FSDs and Lowering Springs.

· Polybush Super Pro- Front ARB, Dog Bone, Wishbones front & rear, Rear Beam.

· Seat Sport Front Upper Strut Brace.

Miscellaneous

· VDO Mechanical Boost Gauge mounted in air vent pod.

· VW Golf R32 Steering Wheel.

· JVC Head Unit with Verbatim 16GB USB stick.

· Infinity Basslink I amplified subwoofer.

· Seat Cupra Front Splitter.

· Colour Coded Grille.

· Fabia Rear Mudflaps.

· “Fabia” badge omitted from tailgate.

· Newly refurbished & fitted vRS alloys with Uniroyal Rainsport 2 Tyres.

As far as I can think that is the spec list covered. Much of that came from the extensive itemised receipts from Jabbasport that came with the car.

Below are photos of the car, which follow how the car looked the day I bought it and reflect the changes I’ve made since then. I think it is worth noting that I can’t take credit for the vast majority of it, as the previous owner (luckily for me) is the one responsible along with Jabbasport for the modifications and the condition in which the car came to me. I have, however, made some subtle but effective changes to the car myself which have, in my opinion at least, improved the vehicle.

Once you’ve seen the photos of the car as it was when I bought it (thanks Steve for letting me post your photos), many of you will know who it used to belong to. For those who don’t know, the car belonged to warwick hunt, who was quite active on here. The figures this car produced have long been debated, questioned and argued about by numerous folks on here. One of the first things I did was take the car to Shark Performance for a run on their Bapro Dyno, known to be very accurate. Thankfully, the figures were pretty similar to those produced at Jabbasport:

· Jabbasport- 271.8bhp @3827rpm, 591NM @ 2800rpm.

· Shark Performance- 258.0bhp @4024rpm, 531NM @2896rpm.

Close enough for me, and hopefully enough to cease the debate over the performance of this car. On that note, please keep this thread free from such debates and arguments. The figures speak for themselves, and we’ve all read enough threads about bogus dynos and manufacturing figures.

The pictures will speak for themselves, but I’ll touch on what I’ve done with the car since I’ve had it:

· First to go were the custom badges from the bonnet, tailgate, wheel centres and steering wheel; replaced with OEM badges from Skoda.

· Tints removed.

· Audi TT Competion alloys swapped for vRS alloys in anthracite (I still have the TT wheels, might pop them back on sometime).

· Infinity Basslink I Subwoofer fitted.

· VW cupholder/cointray unit fitted underneath head unit.

· Painted calipers & carriers in Smooth Green (were Black Hammered).

· Newly refurbished vRS alloys (bought from KR MAN on here at a very good price, thanks) fitted.

· New tax disc holder.

Some of the changes I’ve made have been debated by friends and colleagues- namely the wheels and window tints, I didn’t have a strong disliking to them, but I prefer a more understated, sleeper look. Looking at it you’d have no idea what lies beneath, very much the principle I was going for.

I’ve also invested in a DAS 6 Pro kit with Lake Country Pads and Menzerna polishes. After a number of hours and great detailing advice from a mate (cheers Hunty!), the car now looks as pictured with the silver vRS alloys. I’m by no means a detailing guru, but I must admit I am very pleased with the results.

It really is a cracking car, surprisingly fast on boost yet retains the ability to return decent consumption on longer journeys (all while looking stock B) ) ; my last tank saw over 500 miles. The turbo whistle sounds very nice indeed too. Oh, I popped a Furbie on the parcel shelf, so it gawps at whoever is behind me with it's big eyes; and Clarence the Bird's Eye polar bear is safely belted up in the back.

I think I might have managed to cover it all, which means it is time for photos. I’ve included the all-important dyno printouts at the end.

Your comments, suggestions and opinions are very welcome.

So, the car as it was when I picked it up (photos courtesy of Steve):

2.jpg

1.jpg

The day I bought it:

3.jpg

Tints off, antracite vRS alloys, fresh Skoda badges:

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Engine bay, nice and tidy. Love that the intercooler is black, can't be seen from the front when the bonnet is shut:

7.jpg

Clarence! Clunk click, every trip:

8.jpg

Infinity Basslink I Amplified Subwoofer with clear chassis; compliments the sound nicely whilst looking cool and not taking up too much space:

9.jpg

R32 Steering Wheel feels great, big fan of the subtle boost gauge too:

10.jpg

The next few shots were taken after my detailing attempt with the DA a few days ago, plus the new alloys and painted calipers:

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

My favourite shot, happy with the finish:

16.jpg

Jabbasport Graph:

18.jpg

Shark Performance Graph:

17.jpg

Thanks for looking guys.

Would be nice to see you at a meet or track day.

See how she goes as I know from experience the Jabbasport stage 3 kit is certainly fun! :D

Nice looking car BTW. Stock with the ability to surprise people, just my style. ;)

• Like 1

Thanks guys.

Kris, I kept it quiet for awhile as I wanted to make the few small changes to get it how I wanted it before posting anything up.

Richard, likewise, now I have the car how I want it I'll be looking into getting to a few meets and shows in the summer.

I'm taking mine to the RWYB day this Saturday at Santa Pod. :)

I'm sure we'll meet up at some stage but I'd suggest you do the Briskoda Action Day ( http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/236337-castle-combe-summer-action-day-8th-sept-2012-brisky-stand-track/ ) and the next How Fast day (not booked yet) if you possibly can.

They were great events earlier this year and there will be another of each later in the year.

Superb car mate, love the OEM appearance and the performance speaks for itself.

Although I'd love to see colour coded handles and door trims on it, as it should've come from the factory!

Cheers Johnny.

I am very much enjoying it mate, I'm particularly pleased with the way it looks now; just clean and unassuming.

Not that mine was anywhere near as quick as this, but that's what i liked about mine, nice and subtle. ;)

where abouts in yorkshire? im from leeds and also have a red vrs ill keep my eyes out for you

I'm a fair way from Leeds, but have family there, so am sometimes in those parts. I'll keep an eye out when I'm there B)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cheers Hunty, I'm still way off your standard of detailing but hopefully I'll get there eventually.

As the weather was poor yesterday, I thought I'd see how economical the car can be as I'd need to drive conservatively in line with the weather conditions. I managed an average speed of around 65mph on the motorways, which reduced during periods of heavy spray. Over a 75ish mile journey, mainly on motorways I managed an average of 64.9mpg.

It made for a dull drive (it had to be, the rain was outrageous), but I'm still impressed that the car can achieve these figures considering the modifications; I know the computer is not totally accurate, even still, a good indication of impressive economy.