1.9TDI servicing - what needs doing at 4 years?

Hi All,

My Roomster3 1.9TDI is now 4 years old. It has done about 38,000 miles so far.

Looking at the service book im a little confused at what should be done in addition to the usual oil/filter stuff.

Could someone please advise on what should be done? i.e. do i need to get the cambelt changed at 4 years?

Thanks,

Rob

First off, Cambelt will be due, so might as well get the coolant pump done at the same time. I'd get this done as soon as if you haven't, as it's one thing you don't want going. They will also change the engine coolant as part of this so you don't need to worry.

If it hasn't been done, I'd change the pollen filter, air filter, and fuel filter, as well as the oil and filter.

I'd also have a think about getting brake fluid changed as it's usually every 2/3 years they say to change it (no idea why).

My book says on my Leon to get the air con serviced every 2 years, so you can do this if you want, but I wouldn't change it unless I noticed a considerable drop in performance from it.

^^^

As above, except that I'd not bother with the aircon.

Brake fluid needs changing every two years as it absorbs water and there is the potential for its boiling point to be lowered (in theory you could end up boiling the fluid on a long, long hill descent. Water in the fluid would boil to create steam. The steam is compressible so you end up with a soft brake brake pedal that could go almost to the floor when pressed, accompanied by the obligatory brown-trouser moment)

As I said this is theoretical and a worst-case scenario - much more likely is that the water will corrode the pistons in your calipers and/or drums and cause them to stick or damage the rubber brake seals. All of which is avoidable by changing to fluid regularly. You'll also keep the bleed nipples free (unseized) by regular use.

Brake fluid is too cheap not to change regularly.

Good luck.

As DieselV6 was saying in another thread, cambelt maybe doesn't actually need to be changed as often as dealers say, however I had mine done as I wasn't willing to risk the damage if the belt was to go because I'd left it too long. I wanted to have the brake fluid changed as it's been 4 years but the garage tested it and said to leave it as its still like new. Will have it checked again at the end of the year when it goes for next service

Yes regarding the 4 year cambelt change, my local independent VW garage has an advisory note in his window prompting a 3 year change or this will happen, i.e. a broken cam belt displayed in the window.

Everything these days is marketed with the fear factor, to put doubts in your mind. For instance when you go for car or house insurance on one of the many comparison sites , your cheapest quote , is bumped up with a lot of extras you have to scratch off to get back down to your original quote.

Mind you if you have the money then no worries.

You do NOT need to do the cambelt, leave it alone. Do all the things listed under inspection service, plus there are a few things listed for vehicles driven under 60000km in 4 years but belt is not one of them.

http://www.briskoda....ost__p__2804287

If in doubt, remove timing belt cover and look at the belt. If the belt has nice smooth surface and edges, and the width comparable to width of the timing gears (and not half of it), and little or no marks from tensioner (usually along the middle), then it is in good condition.

The cynical explanation of why VW UK recommends cambelt change after 4 years is that after 3 years the car is out of any warranties, usually at this point had dealer-only servicing, and is still valuable enough for many owners to keep it. Hence the muppets (as we customers are known) are more likely to go to the dealer and pay the megabucks for a redundant belt change. To add insult to injury, the standard of dealership service worskops is often so shockingly poor they actually end up damaging the engine in one way or another during the belt job. This is exactly what happened to my Octavia's 1.9TDI engine, it went to dealer, they replaced belt/water pump but failed to refill the engine head with coolant and overheated/overstressed head gasket. 20l+ of coolant, one head gasket job + another timing belt job same year later, I learned my lesson.

Re VW workshop displaying snapped belt, I can get a new belt, cut through part of the joint seam and snap it too to scare customers into paying me a ransom.... :devil:

How come it's only VW UK supplied cars and not the rest of Europe that seem to have so fragile belts? No other country in Europe has this 4-year belt replacement recommendation.

Edited by dieselV6