Neglected Yeti

Freshacre

Just thought I'd seek some sympathy for my poor unused Yeti, languishing in the driveway while I am off posing, preening [hopefully] pulling, topless in the Beemer.

I now have a scarlet forehead and bald spot.

There are very few convertibles that I like, they have never really appealled, the Z4 is nice, but the coupe version they did was better.

I make a point of always wearing interesting head wear when in soft tops, usually either a cold war US army helmet, or 1930's flying cap and goggle's, this was originally done for dramatic effect(helmet for safety maybe) but these days it would mask the receeding hairline...

If i had a convertible when I went out in it the Yeti would probably think that he knows what i look better in!!!

• Like 1

I too have a touch of sunburn, even up here in the normally wet and windy north. Blodwen, my V8 engined MGB has been out for a burble ... setting off a few BMW alarms as she went.

• Like 1

I make a point of always wearing interesting head wear when in soft tops, usually either a cold war US army helmet, or 1930's flying cap and goggle's, this was originally done for dramatic effect(helmet for safety maybe) but these days it would mask the receeding hairline...

Many moons ago [and doggyboy you can take that any way you like, because they'd ALL be appropriate] when a student in London [late 60s early 70s] I had a Triumph Herald convertible. When you leant on the rear wing, the horn would blow - and early bugger alarm perhaps?

Anyhow, my particular affectation was to wear my old dad's wartime pith helmet. Great for keeping sun out of eyes, and some interesting comments from the birds too. One day, in Piccadilly sat sitting waiting for the red to go green, a motorbike cop drew up alongside and turned very slowly towards me, fixing me with that steely gaze that they perfect to put the Bobdog's up you. As he gazed, his right hand left the handlebars and slowly, very slowly lifted up to his right eyebrow - and as he gave me a very stiff salute, he said, quite loudly "Mornin' Bwana!" before roaring off leaving me a shaking wreck - with laughter.

I'd never met a cop with a sense of humour - and, actually, still haven't!

• Like 2

Off to Provence next week to swan around in my Peugeot 207cc - strictly a south of France car, not one for North Yorkshire, although the last few days haven't been bad.

South of France- pah ! I was up in NW Highlands in my Caterham last week (1300 miles in 4 days)- snow showers, hail, downpours. gales and sun. Sublime - if damper, wetter and draughtier than a 206. And a bit noisier...

Just thought I'd seek some sympathy for my poor unused Yeti, languishing in the driveway while I am off posing, preening [hopefully] pulling, topless in the Beemer.

I now have a scarlet forehead and bald spot.

Why is it that most people with "premium" badged convertibles generally have bald spots?

They seem to be the car of choice to show a bald spot off.

• Like 1

Why is it that most people with "premium" badged convertibles generally have bald spots?

They seem to be the car of choice to show a bald spot off.

Is it, maybe, that in order to buy, insure and run a premium badged convertible you often have to be of a certain age....maybe 25 or 30 ish? Hence the increased likelihood of a man starting to lose some hair? Maybe? Possibly?

Or is it, maybe, that a man who is losing his hair might feel a very minor need or desire to, in some way, compensate the hair loss with something else to, in some way, kind of, make up for it? Maybe? Possibly? Hope I've put that tentatively enough....and it's just a thought.

• Like 1

Or is it, maybe, that a man who is losing his hair might feel a very minor need or desire to, in some way, compensate the hair loss with something else to, in some way, kind of, make up for it? Maybe? Possibly? Hope I've put that tentatively enough....and it's just a thought.

Knob substitute?

Hairy Bobdog

I was thinking about this thread when I was on the way into work this morning...

I was in the traffic sitting behind an old H plate, slightly knackered looking, BMW convertible with a guy driving that had a hair style resembling Friar Tuck. :D

Somehow I don't think cost is the issue here. I mean, that's still a "Premium" brand convertible. :giggle:

• Like 1

Happy to admit that the purchase of a French Pug 207cc was a bit of a mid (late?)-life crisis and that I am folically challenged on top. it's still fun, though.

I wanted to buy a MX5 but my 2 daughters said I'd look "gay" in one, as I've got a full head of hair but cut with a No.4 generally!!

They also wouldn't let me buy a denim jacket or get my ear pierced, all things I threatened on my 55th birthday! Now I wonder what I can get away with/threaten on my 60th next year?

• Like 1

Go for it Llani.

I wanted to buy a MX5 but my 2 daughters said I'd look "gay" in one, as I've got a full head of hair but cut with a No.4 generally!!

They also wouldn't let me buy a denim jacket or get my ear pierced, all things I threatened on my 55th birthday! Now I wonder what I can get away with/threaten on my 60th next year?

Go for it Llani G.

I bought a MG TF four weeks after I finished work - been round Europe, Hockenheim Ring, mid Wales etc.

Apart from my best friend (my SJ413), the MG comes second, followed some way behind with the Yeti. It's too clever by half, a bit boring, has no British foibles (like bits falling off) and I can't fiddle with it as it's under warranty and I've only just found the dipstick :giggle:

I aim to eventually lose the SJ and TF when even older, and get an MGC GT, roll caged, IRS fitted etc and liveried up to replicate a Monte Carlo rally car, but with some creature comforts for cruising :blush:

but with some creature comforts for cruising :blush:

That's why I went for a "modern" car - creature comforts, no smells of hot oil, nothing falling off, air conditioning, power hood that is up and down like Bob-a-dog's fevered imagination in 10 seconds flat, power steering, decent sized boot - and best of all, a '53 model with only 28k on the clock.

Like the rest of us oldies, the fantasy was to burble about Bohemia over the channel, but, to be honest, these last few days blatting about Brecon backwoods and byways between there and Builth wells has been just as satisfying, and at the end of a days belting about I know where the best Balti for miles is to be found.

Edited by Freshacre

About 10 years since my midlife crisis began with the purchase of an Austin Healey Sprite. Lovely little car that surprised a few owners of supposedly faster motors - because stuffed under the bonnet was 2.0 litres and 150bhp of Alfa Romeo twin cam - little rocket. Unfortunately my middle aged spread meant that if I drove it for more than about 50 miles, I found it damn near impossible to climb out of, and when I was eventually prised out by SWMBO it was usually about three days before I could walk upright again. Accordingly replaced it about 6 years back with my MGB roadster ... again with added ooomph, 3.5 litres of Rover V8. A very different beastie, much heavier and less chuckable, but still a blast on curvy 'B' roads. Smells and sounds of a bygone motoring age are all part of the attraction - and why I wouldn't consider a modern sports car. What I'd really like is a big Healey (a 3000) but way out of my price range I fear ... however I'm thinking about a series 2 Kamm tailed Alfa spider when I claim the lump sum from my pension.

No premature balding on me, and most of my hair is still in its original colour ... but I could recount tales of my prostate operation if you like? :giggle:

ps, no denim jacket anymore - but I did get my ear pierced when I hit 40 ... :rock:

Do this with the velux roofed yeti find that it eases the desire for a second convertible car?

Oops I have a Velux Yeti and an MX-5... AND a full head of hair. Something went wrong somewhere! :giggle: This is my mum in Magnus:

271104_10150230274836324_366881_n.jpg

And for those wondering yes that photo was taken INSIDE the M25 within the confines of London! Amazing.

154447_456438811323_6205385_n.jpg