Rear wiper arm - cap missing ?

Michael G

Evenin' all

Just noticed this - looks to me as if some kind of cap is missing at the arm joint ? Have I lost something or is this how it's supposed to look ?

2012-05-261846031024x768.jpg

I've thought that about mine, but had a look at another one that I parked next to the other day, and that was the same. Either it's meant to be like that or we're all losing something.

• Like 1

sometimes squirty-bits are, actually, left out in the open.

And if DoggingBob did it - he'd be arrested by now and in clink, not merely the naughty corner favoured by Llani-u-know-hoo

• Like 2

The water jet on my rear washer is poorly aligned, so that the bulk of the water actually hits the frame above the rear window. In the old days, you could stick a pin into a jet and change the angle - can you do that with this one, does anyone know?

The water jet on my rear washer is poorly aligned, so that the bulk of the water actually hits the frame above the rear window. In the old days, you could stick a pin into a jet and change the angle - can you do that with this one, does anyone know?

I've Just had a look and it does look like its a ball and socket type jet of old, so the old pin trick should be able to move it.

It might take a small amount of force to move it the first time though.

I also can't be bothered to look in the manual (of which we all should have one) so don't just take my word for it.

Thank you and good morning. Dom.

Be very, very careful with this nozzle. If you make a mess of it, you might (just might) be able to pull out the jet & insert a new one (don't try a Roomster one, they're not the same as my Skoda dealer found out).

Then if a new jet won't go into the centre of the housing, the only answer is a complete new wiper motor assembly - and that's expensive as my dealer also found out.

I'd recommend getting your dealer to adjust it, so if it goes wrong they have to pay for the necessary replacement. If they are any good, they should adjust it for free, but I'd be tempted to stand there & watch whilst they do it so they can't claim it was bust when you brought it in!

Oh, and if you unclip the cap that covers the jet, be vary careful there too, as it's easy to snap off the jet in the housing..... yes, you've guessed, as my dealer found out!!!

The voice of experience!

• Like 1

Be very, very careful with this nozzle. If you make a mess of it, you might (just might) be able to pull out the jet & insert a new one (don't try a Roomster one, they're not the same as my Skoda dealer found out).

Then if a new jet won't go into the centre of the housing, the only answer is a complete new wiper motor assembly - and that's expensive as my dealer also found out.

I'd recommend getting your dealer to adjust it, so if it goes wrong they have to pay for the necessary replacement. If they are any good, they should adjust it for free, but I'd be tempted to stand there & watch whilst they do it so they can't claim it was bust when you brought it in!

Oh, and if you unclip the cap that covers the jet, be vary careful there too, as it's easy to snap off the jet in the housing..... yes, you've guessed, as my dealer found out!!!

The voice of experience!

Thanks for this helpful warning - I think I'll put up with the misdirected jet until the next service (although that's nearly a year off - I forgot about this little problem when the SM went into the dealer last March).