Tyre pressure monitor system 'fault'

Hi Guys,

2008 Roomster Scout, 1.9tdi. 35k

Last winter, I bought new wheels and tyres for winter use, these were a couple of % smaller than the factory fitted 16" wheels/tyres.

On fitting, the TPMS light came on and I tried to reset it according to the handbook, it would not re-set and the dashboard light has been a continuous feature. This did not bother me since i assumed that maybe the winter tyres were outside the parameters of the system and they were only to be fitted for a few months, I could live with it.

A month ago, I reverted back to the factory fitted 16", adjusted the pressures to 32 psi and still the system won't reset, the light on the dash stays on.

According to the handbook, any fault in the system is indicated by a 'flashing light', my light does not flash, just stays on (which is the position for a 'deflated tyre'), thus this indicates a reduced diameter tyre rather than a system fault, however, all my tyres are at the correct pressure and I have re-checked them a few times.

On pressing the re-set button, the dashboard light blinks once and then just stays on (no 'bong' or other noise to indicate that re-setting has taken place).

To be honest, I am not too fussed about the system not working since I allways regularly check pressures but I have a suspicion that a warning light on the dash might be an MOT failure?

Any ideas? Anything I should/can check?

Cheers, Terry

Edited by scotsgent

• 1 month later...

It sounds like you have done what the handbook states..........maybee there is another fault.......it might need a diagnostics VCDS pluged in to read any fault codes!

The TPMS uses the ABS sensors to measure the relative wheel speeds against each other - you may have a dodgy sensor (water ingress ?) or a bad/loose connection. Given we've barely had a dry day I wouldnt be surprised if you have water ingress issue.

I doubt your winter wheel set is outside the parameters of the system, even with non approved tyre sizes since it compares the speeds of each wheel irrespective of vehicle speed / wheel size.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

This seems to be similar to the fault on my roomster. However, I am being told I need a part replacement, not sure what it is, but the cost of the part is £1400 plus vat and fitting. I am at a loss, don't know what to do. Any advice, please

Welcome to the forum.

First thing to do is ask the person that is diagnosing the Faulty part & quoting a price for parts and labour,

"What is wrong,  

what parts are required, how much are they, and how much is the labour?."

Then maybe report back here and it might be possible to give advice.

george

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

I had this issue after getting all four tyres changed at the same time.  Light came on - when attempting to reset, light would briefly go off and then light again.

Main dealer did a software update on the "ABS Unit", which seems to have done the trick.