New to DSG is it running as it should, your help please

Got my brand new Superb SE Plus CR TDi 2.0 DSG on Tuesday and never driven a DSG before. It makes a low rumble when low in the rev range and in particularly when in the high gears. At first I thought the car had a subwoofer and the bass was to low but it is not that. Also I seem to need a lot revs to reverse. Is this normal, am I just being over sensative or might there be an issue? Will it become quieter as it runs in?

Your experience based opinions would be much appreciated.

Edited by steveDSG
  • Like 1

I have same spec as you (not plus)..I agree reverse does need a little blip on the revs to get it going..you get used to it.

Re your rumble ..can't say I have that.Your best bet is to go back to your dealer and test drive another Superb DSG to compare

Hope you get sorted

I've the 170 DSG and find that reversing on the flat needs no touch of the accelerator at all. Foot off the brake and it starts to creep backwards. A dab of the brake and we stop.

Reversing up a steep hill is another matter though - hold the car on handbrake, add a few revs until I feel it 'bite', remove handbrake then wonder why I'm not moving. Apply a few more revs. Nothing. More... nothing. More... I'm suddenly doing 30mph uphill in reverse :giggle:

Could the rumble be that it's in too high a gear? Mine hangs onto 6th like it's going out of fashion whereas I'd be in fourth or maybe third if it were a manual.

Holding on to the gears to long could be the issue, as you say it changes up very early and is sometimes in sixth when in thirties which of course if in a manual I would never do. I guess it could be good for economy but does not feel so good and in a manual would say it is idling and the transmission is unhappy.

The DSG ECU learns how you drive, so drive it like you stole it and it will learn to hold onto low gears for longer, and change down to keep the revs up as well. Another alternative is to use the box in S mode.

Reverse gear can be fun, when I had the superb I needed to reverse up a very steep driveway on holiday in Spain and it took a surprisingly large amount of revs for the car to reverse. On a flat though, you should just need ro release the footbrake and it should creep.

• Like 1

It took a while for me to get used to DSG - to start with I'd curse it for being in the wrong gear, typically changing up at the end of a 30 zone when I wanted to put my foot down for a 60 only to find it getting in a tizz causing it to drop from 6th to 3rd before lurching off like a scalded cat.

Once you get the hang of it you can anticipate what it's going to do and compensate. Overall though I'm glad I went for the DSG.

Thanks for the replies, it is not the tyres had noisy ones on the last car, definitely the transmission, as an earlier poster said driving another DSG should provide a good comparrison. I have driven plenty of automatics in the US and none had the transmission noise of mine, then again I know DSG is a little more advanced than the average US auto industries idea of an automatic.

I know DSG is a little more advanced than the average US auto industries idea of an automatic.

DSG is not a conventional auto with fluid drive, it is to all intents and purposes a manual with some very clever software making the gear changes for you.

That said it should not make a noise as the two I have had have both been very quiet, although the 170 CR Diesel did "shunt" a bit when cold in it's desire to get into a higher gear as quickly as possible.

hi,Steve

there is a vibration between 1500- 2000 rev which is common on the Cr engine skoda fixed mine if you wedge something between the battery and the air filter it stoppes the vibration if you put your hand there and get someone to rev the engine at 1500-2000 revs you can fill the vibration come and go.also this engine does change into 5Th and 6Th very early which causes a vibration as well it seems like its in the wrong gear they are all the same i have tried several different cars all are the same.i have spoken to shark tuning about this they said they have had a lot off complaints from there customers that are having engine remaps about this problem and that they offer a dsg remap with you driving your car to adjust the gear changes to your personal preferences resolves the problem. cost £200.

bill

• 2 weeks later...

I have done about 600 miles now and am more used to it but still think it holds on to gears when revs are too low, it often keeps it in gear when doing less than 1200 revs going up a hill. I am a steady driver and I know if I booted it the gearbox would drop but at somepoint would drop back to a gear where it can rumble away. I have tried sport mode but that is far too much in the opposite direction.

Happy with everything else just waiting for the dealer to fix my park assist and I would like to able to control more of the entertainment system from the steering wheel, such as going through folders of MP3 albums and change from radio to media from the wheel as well.

hi Steve

mine is the same you would think skoda would be able to resolve the problem but they say they cannot. you are in a better position than me shark tuning in Mansfield can solve the problem with a dsg remap they will adjust the gear changes to your needs £200. give them a ring see what they say.if i was not so far away i would already have had mine done including a engine remap.

bill

I had not read this thread before today and coincidentally, this morning I booked my Superb in for a 45k service and mentioned that when reversing out of nose in angle parking in my town, the car often pauses for a long time. Might be only 5 seconds but seems an eternity when you are ready for action and looking for a gap in the traffic. I will be interested in what the dealer tell me after service.

My 170dsg, with 700 miles on it, has the noise you refer to on take off - or occasionally on use of kick-down. Seems to come from NSF - sounds a little like the noise you would get is an ABS system was operational. Not the brakes, so hopefully will find the source soon. Seems more prevalent when cold. Interested to hear how you get on.