Mannys run to the sun 2012

mannyo

Well its almost that time of year, for the annual run to the sun.

This year its off to the Costa Del Sol, although the route is a little different this year.

The route down south we are following:

Portsmouth to Santander Ferry,

Santander to Salamanca,

Salamanca to Seville

Seville to Estepona.

Then 2 weeks on the Costa, before returning.

Estepona to Valladolid (one heck of a trek but do-able).

Valladolid to Santander

Santander to Portsmouth.

Three weeks of holiday and travelling in total, lets hope the A8 survives.

I'll update this thread with progress, as I have done every year since 2008.

Well its almost that time of year, for the annual run to the sun.

This year its off to the Costa Del Sol, although the route is a little different this year.

The route down south we are following:

Portsmouth to Santander Ferry,

Santander to Salamanca,

Salamanca to Seville

Seville to Estepona.

Then 2 weeks on the Costa, before returning.

Estepona to Valladolid (one heck of a trek but do-able).

Valladolid to Santander

Santander to Portsmouth.

Three weeks of holiday and travelling in total, lets hope the A8 survives.

I'll update this thread with progress, as I have done every year since 2008.

Oh come on now :D what is wrong with Estepona to Valladolid? Just about 500 miles in the middle of really HOT Spain with daily temperature in the low 40C :D

In 1999 done this run with several other people on a bikes....we survived :D

Keep us informed with pictures of course and be safe on the road.

In a weeks time, I'll be on the ferry. I hope the Bay of Biscay is in a good mood, as me, the rest of the holiday party and A8 cruise to Santander

Just 3 days to go now,

Tyre pressures, Checked and set to maximum load.

Oil level, Check,

Screen Wash, replenished,

V5C, Check

Insurance Cert, Check

High vis jackets, Check

Warning Triangle, Check

Spare Bulb kt, Check,

Engine Oil due to leaking crankshaft oil seal, check.

First Aid Kit, Check.

Breakdown Cover, Check.

Passport, Check,

Travel Documents, Check,

Packing in progress.

Update number 1.

We are now well and truly in Spain, its lovely and hot and the sun is shining down.

Me, the holiday party and the A8 have made it to Salamanca. We had a very good ferry crossing from Portsmouth to Santander, and after leaving the ferry drove from Santander to a hotel on the outskirts of Salamanca.

Its very warm indeed compared the UK, the temp outside is just under 30c, and the A8's aircon is coping no problem.

Need to check the oil level after each leg due to the crankshaft seal leak, so tomorrow before leaving the car will get a check over.

Next stop will be Seville.

post-47-0-91688600-1339693061_thumb.jpg

Update number 2.

We have made it to Seville, it's very hot at 40c but the aircon in the car has kept us cool.

600 miles covered so far, not long to estepona from now.

My god, you're doing that trip in a 3.7 litre car! .......R-E-S-P-E-C-T !!!!! .......although with the money you'd spnd on fuel you could have take a cruise to Oz on the QEII :rofl:

Joking apart though, what a fantastic trip, and my Sister's in-laws live in Estapona :sun:

We have arrived.

Made it to Estepona at around lunch time. Had a bite to eat in the Carrefour hypermarket before we went to the Villa, and I must say the weather here makes up for the long drive.

The 3.7 V8 made the 710 driving miles from Blandford, Dorset to Estepona, Andalucia on less than 1.5 tanks of fuel. We left Blandford with a not quiet full tank, and that got us all the way to within 70 miles of Seville, and used less than half the next one. Average MPG according to the cars computer was around the 34 mark.

I had of course forgotten that a lot of the petrol stations away from the motorway are not self service, quiet nice to have someone else fill up the car for you and clean the windscreen.

Have not needed to top-up the engine oil, so the crankshaft oil leak is still slowly leaking.

Car is still going well.

Quick picture update, something I do each year as well. Try and get a picture of the car with the rock of Gibraltar, so here is the A8 with the rock in the background.

Also a picture of the temperature the other day on the cars computer display.

Drove onto the rock and filled up the car with unleaded, had 10 miles left on the computer and it took £77 to fill the car up as 95 Ron UL was 98.4P per litre. Diesel for those interested was 92.9P per litre.

Petrol receipt also attached, look at the VAT paid of 0.00

IMG_5960.jpg

IMG_5895.jpg

IMG_5965.jpg

• Like 1

Cigs on gib are very cheap, only bought cigars though. £8.50 for 10 packs hamlet, £12.50 for 10 Packs of king edwards.

We went through benalmadena on the train, looks the same as ever from the train. Theme park was. Very. Busy

We are still taking in the sun on the Costa, visited relatives in Marbella yesterday. Tomorrow I am making a run to Malaga airport to drop off one of our party who is flying back to the UK. We are here until Saturday, then the long drive back commences.

Car seems to be ok, although I am not sure. Seems to be pulling to the right a little for a couple of days, but everything seems to be ok so not sure of cause or if indeed anything is wrong at all. Covered 1100 miles now since leaving Dorset around 10 days ago.

Car outside the only supermarket that seems to open on Sundays (Yesterday).

556239_10150973832294803_225244850_n.jpg

Just a few days to go now before starting the long trek back to the UK.

Been on Gibraltar again today, needed to fill up the car. This time headed for Morrisons down by the port and paid less than last week, just over £73 this time.

We left going on a little late this time, and the queue was quiet long. Took around 40 mins to clear the queue to get on, during which time the engine got a little warmer than usual and was hovering around 2/3rds. I guess this was all down to driving slowly for so long in 30c+ temperatures with the A/C on.

Annoyingly in the queue I was rear ended at very slow speed by a Gibraltarian, no damage to either car so we just carried on queueing one behind the other. For some reason the queue today was chaotic at best, with cars trying to queue jump, horns, whilst the spanish policeman tried to keep everything under control.

And after being rear ended yesterday it looks like my Debit card may have possibly been cloned. Speaking to my bank (lloydstsb) at 4.30am UK time this morning, they have put a marker on the transaction as its possibly one of mine. I know the amount and what the transaction was for in £ but not the location of the transaction or the value in euros as the bank cannot see that yet because its not been fully processed. Should this not be one of mine they are happy to cancel the card, and start the fraud process. Luckily I have another means of payment with me.

Got a bit on the warm side today, the wind has been blowing up from the south.

557585_10150985081129803_852464695_n.jpg

Still, we start the drive back to the UK tomorrow. Route will either be via Seville or Madrid up to Valladolid, but we have yet to decide as there is very little in it.

Well I am now back at home in Dorset, we ran back up through Seville to Valladolid and then to Vivenda on the outskirts of Santander. We caught the ferry yesterday, and arrived in Portsmouth this afternoon.

Total distance driven in the A8 was around 2200 miles, MPG figures to follow.

I Have now calculated the true MPG for the A8 based on fuel purchased and distance travelled. Average MPG for the trip calculates to 32.91 which is not bad for a 3.7 V8.

• Like 1