Agreed to Trade in My Car next week - can I still try & sell privately?

I have put a deposit down on a Mini Cooper D & am taking it on PCP over 2 yrs. I have agreed a trade in value for the VRS but the Mini Dealership are just punting this to a trader as they are not allowed to put anything other than Minis on their forecourt.

Am I within my rights to still try & sell this privately?

I am paying the advertised price for their car so there was no discounted deal struck that was related to a PX

It would probably be next Tues-Fri that I would be travelling to do the deal.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated

I would have thought asking the view of the Dealership would have given a quick and more accurate opinion on the transaction.

I doubt that they are loosing out on the price they have given you so would want your vehicle,

just tough luck on them that you have come to your senses.

(if they are not happy, you will find plenty of other Mini suppliers that will take your custom.)

I would advise if there is nothing in it for you from giving them a profit, then another Trader a profit,

shift the car yourself if you can, for extra money in your pocket.

My word of warning would be, 'dont burn your boats' unless you know you can sell your car for 'cash money',

That might not be as easy as you think unless you already have a guaranteed buyer already.

george

Edited by sk4gw

I don't think you are within your right to alter a deal that has been agreed to, however that is not to say that the dealership will not be prepared to let you back out of the deal.

You need to speak to them. They may be punting you PX on within the trade - but are they doing this at the price they have quoted you - are they taking a hit to clinche your deal?, are they making a turn on the deal, do they already have a deal made with a trade partner who in turn wants you PX?

Edited by slider

are they taking a hit to clinche your deal?

He is paying SCREEN price for the car, there is no 'deal' been made, they have simply offered a trade in price for his car, if he can get a better offer and still pay top whack (screen price) for the Mini then where is the problem?

Prob best to speak to the dealership just in case. But I would assume as long as they get the required money for the agreed deposit it shouldn't make a lot of difference.

The screen price of the car is within the middle of the range that Glass Valuation says it should be - hence why I didn't try & move them on it. My PX wasn't far short of glass premium valuation I had done. However , theoretically I should be able to get £1300 more for it private.

Just off the phone with the Dealer thats fine as long as I bring deposit

Thanks for the advice :)

He is paying SCREEN price for the car, there is no 'deal' been made, they have simply offered a trade in price for his car, if he can get a better offer and still pay top whack (screen price) for the Mini then where is the problem?

Yes, I understand that he is paying screen price for the Mini, my point regards the PX price the dealership is offering for the VRS. The OP has agreed a trade in value for the VRS, to me that means they have made a deal to take the VRS at that price. Whether or not the deal to buy the Mini and the deal to sell the VRS are 2 separate arrangements is irrelevant.

There problem is that the dealership is buying the VRS at a know price - and as I said have possibly made a trade deal to move this on at a profit. In fact even if there is no profit involve the trade buyer of the car may have committed to buying it because he has a buyer lined up.

A simple phone call is all it take to avoid potential grief.

Good luck in trying to sell a Mk2 vRS for good money as a private deal in Scotland without supplying any sort of warranty.

(does it have the remainder of the Skoda warranty?)

I feel that you will end up having to let it go at Trade Value or less maybe to a trader.

george

Edited by sk4gw

Good luck in trying to sell a Mk2 vRS for good money as a private deal in Scotland without supplying any sort of warranty.

(does it have the remainder of the Skoda warranty?)

I feel that you will end up having to let it go at Trade Value or less maybe to a trader.

george

George, I already have a guaranteed PX for it at the Dealers in Manchester. It will have the remainder of the Skoda Warranty as its only 8 months old. I have stuck it up on Gumtree & PH. Also did a CAP Valuation through Autotrader but that is unrealistically high IMHO so have price it as per Glass's Valuation

I understand from your post that you have your guaranteed price from your Dealer supplying the new Mini.

I would have been tempted to visit a more Local to you Skoda Dealership and see what they might have given in Cash for your vRS

in a straight sale to them.

If it was more than the Manchester Dealer that you say is passing it onto another Trader,

i would take the Local Money & get a Mega Bus or even a flight down to collect the new car, readies in hand.

Just another option.

Did you approach the Dealership that originally supplied the car 8 months ago to see if they were interested in buying it back in?

Thats where how i bought my vRS, from a dealer that had re-bought a car.

I paid Trade Price plus a little Premium to them to buy it from them, without it going through the Workshop.

I had already looked at a few other vRS 'in trade' and chose the best deal & the car i wanted in few cars kicking about and not re-selling.

george

Edited by sk4gw

Thanks for the thought however..

Last week I went into the local skoda dealer & got some figures against a citigo on PCP. I was offered £11.5K :( They have an almost identical one to mine in their showroom.

I was offered £12.5K against a New Mini at approx cost of £20K locally.

This is my train of thought too, If I can get a bit more for it privately locally, I could fly down & save myself some driving

OK, but thats comparing Apples and Oranges.

I was just meaning about asking if they were interested in a straight sale to them,

not a Trade in situation.

A MINI dealership is making some profit on supplying a MINI, in compaison to a Skoda Dealer supplying a Citigo.

I have bought and owned a secondhand MINI and know how much the original buyer lost on that specced up car.

Luckily i sold it without much cost after enjoying it for a while.

Have fun with your new car.

george

PS what someone in a Dealership first offers and second offers is their opening offer usually, not what you have to deal at.

Someone wanting to buy a vRS might pay a certain price to a dealer like i did to get a car that they are not getting moved or that they can not get a buyer for that will take finance.

Finding a Private Buyer that will pay Dealership Prices or near enough to a Private seller for a car that is plentiful is unusual.

Edited by sk4gw
  • Like 1

I have sold private when I had a deal to change, ( i told the dealer 1st) he was not bothered, price to change was the same, but we got an extra £1000 :happy:

I have sold private when I had a deal to change, ( i told the dealer 1st) he was not bothered, price to change was the same, but we got an extra £1000 :happy:

Thanks, definitely worth a try
  • Like 1

Just be sure if you cant sell they dont screw you over if you go back to them

Cheers, the car is immaculate so anything less than the PX offered, well I would be coming back up the road with it & demanding my deposit back too

I traded my Vrs in last month, the dealer gave me a trade in price when I ordered the car but said that i was free to sell it privately as long as they knew the week before collection. In the end i traded it in as couldn't be arsed to advertise it - plus i got a good trade in price.

Once a deal is agreed it's generally a contract. However, if both parties agree to a change (e.g; no PX) then the rest of the original contract will still stand.

So as long as the dealer agrees to there not being a PX then all is fine and dandy.

Either party would also be within their rights to decline the offer of a change to the contract. So if the dealer had the PX underwritten for a profit in the trade, he might turn down the offer of not taking the PX.  And if the buyer decided he wanted a different new car, or a different price for it, the dealer would be entitled to decline that offer. Equally, the buyer could turn down the offer of a different colour, or different options on the new car.

Note, however, that some contracts allow changes without agreement, for instance between model years of new cars, or if manufacturers' prices increase.

Usually though, a contract does what it's designed to do, which is to keep things fair. Just don't assume it will automatically allow buyers or sellers to change things on a whim.

Cheers, the car is immaculate so anything less than the PX offered, well I would be coming back up the road with it & demanding my deposit back too

Unless your 100% sure you can sell it I would just px.Once you change the deal to sell yourself they'll be under no obligation to buy, or even buy at the same price. More likely you're opening yourself up to a lower price as you'll be contractually obliged to buy their car so they'll have you by the short & curlys. Unless we're talking 1,000's better off I'd just px.

Unless your 100% sure you can sell it I would just px.Once you change the deal to sell yourself they'll be under no obligation to buy, or even buy at the same price. More likely you're opening yourself up to a lower price as you'll be contractually obliged to buy their car so they'll have you by the short & curlys. Unless we're talking 1,000's better off I'd just px.

According to Glass's valuation the car is £13,473. If it was for the sake of a couple of hundred I wouldn't be too bothered. I think if they were to try it on then all that I would end up losing is the £250 deposit if I withdrew. Until I am actually on site & sign the paper work the PCP deal will not be valid. I'm not the sort of person who gets pushed into doing anything :)