Strange clutch effect

Octavia 1.9 tdi 130 hp l&k hatch

A thousand miles ago I had a new DMF and clutch fitted. All is perfect.

A few days ago I decided to replace the screw fittings for the engine undertray and ran the front of the car up ramps for the job. Due to lazyness and other things which kept me busy, the vehicle sat on its ramps for some 3 days.

I finished the wee job and then jumped in the car in order to reverse down off the ramps. I then depressed the clutch in order to bring the gear lever from 1st to neutral before |I turned the key. The clutch pedal went right to the floor with no resistance and stayed there!

I reached down and pulled it back up. I then switched on the engine and again depressed the clutch pedal and it worked perfectly and has continued to do so over the last 500 miles!.

At first I wondered if the servo unit had leaked air in some way and only on starting the engine did this sort itself?

However, on further reflection I realised there is no servo effect on the clutch and now I wonder if perhaps there is a litttle air in the system (not bled properly after the clutch renewal job) and that somehow, over the 3 days the vehicle was raised on the front ramps, a few bubbles had migrated up into the clutch master cylinder filling it with air?

Is this a likely or possible explanation?

Cheers, Terry

Edited by scotsgent

Mine does it in stop start traffic after 20ish mins doesn't bother me as I rarely stuck in traffic lol

Sent from my GT-I9100. Not a Crapple!

• 2 weeks later...

Same problem but mine dont go back to normal stuck with out car.

Iv just been to a mechanic to get a price for a clutch refit inc flywheel (£480 inc VAT). I told him about the clutch pedal, and he said it might be the clutch hydraulics are gone too.

Iv got a Octavia 1.9 TDI PD. I know the clutch was on the way as it would slip sometimes and make a grinding noise when the clutch was not pressed.

1 morning i started the car, drove off my driveway as i was about to put it in 2nd gear the clutch went flat down, car stopped and couldnt get the clutch back to work.. i pulled it up but when i press it down it stays down. so i pushed it back on my drive . Car starts fine, and if i have it in gear and start it, it will shrug. But im not having any luck with the clutch. There is no oil leak on the driveway or anyware in the engine bay that i can see. So don't know if its olny the clucth/flywheel or the hydraulics too.

Anyone know what it could be hydraulics or clutch?

thx

this sounds like the hydraulics. mine has done it before.

Was there resistance when pressing the clutch? if not then id say hydraulics however if there was it may be down to the spring on the back of the pedal which can not return the pedal

Found the problem to mine. Its the pedal thats broken. and found a realy nice guide on here for replacing or welding it back together. :)

I seen a full diagram on these forums of the clutch pedal, with part no's and how its all put together... but cant seem to find it now.. anyone can link that diagram up here for us or the link to that post. lol been searching on forums and in my browser history.. just cant find it.

Thx

EDIT: found the diagram, well full manual http://www.scribd.com/doc/82022465/Skoda-Octavia-Mk1-Workshop-Manuals1-5speedmanualgearbox02J

Edited by skodataxi